What to do when your 54 degree MD4 becomes your most used club?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a real dilemma. I'm a senior golfer and not a longer hitter. I find that I am using my 54 degree MD4 on almost every hole, especially par 4 and 5's that I can't reach in regulation so I tend to be around 50 - 75 yards short of the hole... reach for my MD4 and very often will get it within 10 feet of the hole and make a par. But there are always those holes where I'm more than 10 feet and end up with a bogey.

Just wondering if I should be trying to play a longer iron/wood to try and get on the green even if I'm 30 - 40 feet from the hole and then try to get a 2-putt?

I've become comfortable with just trying to get close to the green and then reaching for my 54 degree MD4 and getting it close to the hole, but curious if this may be keeping me from lowering my handicap which is around 12-15.

I have a real dilemma. I'm a senior golfer and not a longer hitter. I find that I am using my 54 degree MD4 on almost every hole, especially par 4 and 5's that I can't reach in regulation so I tend to be around 50 - 75 yards short of the hole... reach for my MD4 and very often will get it within 10 feet of the hole and make a par. But there are always those holes where I'm more than 10 feet and end up with a bogey.

Just wondering if I should be trying to play a longer iron/wood to try and get on the green even if I'm 30 - 40 feet from the hole and then try to get a 2-putt?

I've become comfortable with just trying to get close to the green and then reaching for my 54 degree MD4 and getting it close to the hole, but curious if this may be keeping me from lowering my handicap which is around 12-15.

That fully depends on your proficiency with your longer clubs. Only you can answer that.

MD4 is probably my 2rd most used club in my bag, behind my putter and ahead of my driver. I use it for essentially every single shot off the green that's inside of about 70 yards that's not in bunker.

I think the results are a matter of expectations. If you expect to get up and down from that distance 50% of the time, that's probably a very lofty goal. If you are better at hitting close wedges than long woods/irons and are converting the up and down on that type of shot enough to justify laying up....don't change a dang thing. But really only full knowledge of your game would be able to tell you what might be the best way to go, and only you have that knowledge and experience.

i know this isn't really your question, and please don't take offense, but have you considered moving up a set of tees? if you are 50-75y short of many greens in regulation, it seems like playing from a shorter distance would be a better option than messing with your bag setup.

to your question, i think it's far better to putt from 40' than it is to hit a full shot for an up-and-down.

Back