Putting in Hawaii

Platoon

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody else have trouble putting in Hawaii? The best part of my game is my above average putting but when in the 49th state I feel I’m below average. They say it always breaks towards the ocean but in a lot of cases there’s ocean everywhere, so I try my best to incorporate that rule to the best of my ability.

To me it will always boggle my mind reading a slope that clearly looks like it breaks left but because of the ocean rule ends up breaking right. My only thought is I need to get better reading the grain. Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
The only time I have trouble putting here is if I'm on a course with slow greens, which is definitely the case on a couple of the military courses. Aside from that, I've always found the break to be true, but that's just me!

About the only tip I can add is Hawaii is the 50th state. I'd rather try my luck putting there than Alaska.

About the only tip I can add is Hawaii is the 50th state. I'd rather try my luck putting there than Alaska.
Speaking of putting in Alaska, this green was flat when it was built in 1996. Permafrost is crazy!
b0e0075e467c6ad354f6c6926e0b479a.jpg
1d7bcd9952fff34e9e7bb4ca87d6b1fe.jpg
fb97a97449262b4b46aeffdb68242599.jpg

I've only golfed in Hawaii once, but I struggle with green reading there too especially on the mountain courses. No drastic misreads but everything was just off enough to make very few putts.

I am willing to take one for the team and try my putting in Hawaii. You guys just need to book me a flight and some rooms near each course you would like me to try out. Its a long flight so first class is a must.

I find whenever there is terrain, that it is very visually deceiving to read greens. I read them a lot more now with my feet (courtesy of aim point express) and it really does help to eliminate the deception.

ignoring what you "see" and believing what is told to you...is a key...

Last year was playing the Plantation course and was told about slope/grain...have NEVER experienced the grain impact like that...putting into the grain was like putting on shag carpet....putting WITH grain was like putting in bobsled course....

would not trade it for anything though!!!

I am willing to take one for the team and try my putting in Hawaii. You guys just need to book me a flight and some rooms near each course you would like me to try out. Its a long flight so first class is a must.

I volunteer to go with @badolds to provide a high handicappers perspective as well. Seperate rooms are a must as I snore and wouldn't want to cause badolds to be unrested for testing.

Damn! I knew I should have fact checked that statistic :bulgy-eyes:

I remember the 50 part because of Steve McGarrett, Danno, Kono, Chin Ho, Duke, and Ben from Hawaii Five-O. :bananadance:

You miss that 3 foot putt and it's "Book Em, Danno" time for you. :D

Long flight? That ain't a long flight. Don't talk to me about a long flight until you've done 14 hours from Detroit to Tokyo or similar. :)

Back