Cold Impact on Golf Balls?

I expected the balls to get noticeably firmer too. They 'feel' that way when I hit them in cold temps. Was most surprised by PV1X actually reading softer but without numbers both could've just been straddling 'the line', so it's hard to tell.

It was tested five additional times with the same results.
If you scroll through the thread, there are some interesting thoughts on how it could come out that way, including one thought from an industry expert.

Im not sure I am following how its subjective though, its supposed to be based on ATTI compression. Can you elaborate?

JB - you said it; grading scales on the testing tool and the binning of data, accuracy of the tool, consistency ball to ball. I think these are what contribute to a frozen ball appearing softer. Not that any ball actually gets softer when frozen.

I have a shore A hardness tester that I will take home an try this with. This will not be testing the firmness of the ball, rather assessing the durometer of the the urethane cover. But it will be an interesting data point none the less.

Wow totally did not expect the ball to be softer. I would have bet it would be firmer in the cold. Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tried a durometer test last night that was of no use; the urethane cover on a V1X tests off the scale of the tool I had.....

Just catching up on this one, but now I’m interested in the results of the tests from the same ball being room temp/frozen. I could see where it could just be a ball to ball difference, which makes me wonder which ball is the most consistent. I honestly expected more from that device also, like a more accurate number and not just ranges from very soft to very firm.

Back