3 club tourney - what do you take and why?

If in a 2 man, I'd get with the other player, figure who is strong where and pick clubs from there.

I like the hybrid, 7/8i, and 54* idea. You can definitely figure out how to putt with the hybrid if you've never done it before. It's really not that tough with a little practice.

I'd go 5w, 7i, putter. Especially if I've never practiced putting with a different club.

3h, 6i, putter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hard to keep the putter out of the lineup but have to go with
18° hybrid - can get off the tee and use on par 5 second
8-iron - good from 150-160 if I step on it and can choke down, etc. for less
55° wedge - 100 & in club and can putt with it

We had one of these at my course about a month ago but ours was 3 clubs + putter so that took that worry away. But if i only had 3 clubs id go 3 wood, 7 iron and putter.

I would go 4 hybrid, 7 iron and putter.

Played in a lot of 3 club tourneys back in TX. Most success was 4h, 8i, Putter.

Putting is half your score. Make it count.

I would be more apt to go with a wedge if everything inside of 3' was a gimme. Even 1' putts can be testy when putting with something you're not use too.

Tee off in less than an hour. Putted pretty well with the hybrid and eight iron this morning.

86b2f2eeac0364146204973a3f916ad8.jpg

3 hybrid, 6 iron, and PW. Don't need a putter as I putt pretty well with the hybrid.

Just found out that it's a true scramble. Probably should've asked my partner what he was bringing. Even though we can't share clubs it would have been good for one of us to have a driver and one of us have a putter.

I left my driver and several other clubs at home but I do have a putter in the car if it makes sense for us.

Just found out that it's a true scramble. Probably should've asked my partner what he was bringing. Even though we can't share clubs it would have been good for one of us to have a driver and one of us have a putter.

I left my driver and several other clubs at home but I do have a putter in the car if it makes sense for us.

Well, that ought to make things interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee off in less than an hour. Putted pretty well with the hybrid and eight iron this morning.

86b2f2eeac0364146204973a3f916ad8.jpg

Good luck and play well!

Since it's a scramble and we shouldn't have a lot of tough up-and-down's around the green I'm dropping the 54° wedge and adding putter.

Since it's a scramble and we shouldn't have a lot of tough up-and-down's around the green I'm dropping the 54° wedge and adding putter.

Good call there. Worst comes to worst you can pound it out with an 8i

Sounds like a good set up I would have went with a 9 iron instead of an 8 but it would have been for the same reasons you went with the 8 distance wise

Give me PW for the par 3s, 3 wood for off the tee and putting. Then 7 iron because I shouldn't need more than that playing at 6000 into a par 4.

3 wood, 7 iron, PW. I also hit those clubs very well.

I'm probably going 3h, 8i, 58*. I putt very well with my 58*. I took my hybrid over my 3w for the simple fact I don't hit it much shorter and it's much more versatile.

I would go 5 wood 8 iron putter

A scramble changes everything. You could almost play that as an alternate shot format with 6 clubs.

Pretty interesting actually.

I wish you kept the putter out, as I would've been really interested in how that turned out.

I like the call. Plus you can be like a certain someone who is going to lose in July and chutt

3W .... 7i ....pw

I'll putt with my 3w

It went pretty darn well. Had I known it was a scramble (even without sharing clubs) I would have been tempted by the driver. My partner played BB Mini (12*), 5i, and 8i. I rolled with 4h, 8i, and putter. We hit all of the par 3 GIR's and were inside 15 feet on 3 of them. Decided to have him putt first with his 8i so I could get a good read and as luck would have it he drained 3 putts from the 8-12 foot range on the front.

Ended up not really needing the 54* today anyways so that was a good move to put the putter in since I made some nice putts on the back to save some pars, etc.

If I didn't have a partner for a 3 club event...knowing what I know now....would likely go 3h, 7i, and AW.

We were playing in a 15-20 wind today and my 4h left me a good bit out so we were lucky my partner was hitting his Mini well. For 2 guys that were both 12 handicaps, I think we did pretty damn well and have a good shot at winning first place. I didn't want to hang around 90-120 minutes to see scores posted (we were first group out) but I should get an email tomorrow with the results.

Thanks again for all the recommendations!! I enjoyed playing some knock down shots with both the 4h and 8i.......Apex hybrid is stupid versatile.

ETA: we shot 36-34/70 with 3 birds and 2 bogeys.

Last edited:
Hybrid,9 iron and putter. A combo of fairway finder and decent distance. 8 iron or obvious reason same with putter.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back