tucsoncacti

Team Paradise/2021 MC Winner/Heading to Gray Bull
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So about a month ago I had posted a question on who was the best TV character ever to grace our television screens. I really liked the responses to it, and there were a lot more Archie Bunker than I expected. (I tend to tie in Archie with his whole family, Jean Stapleton was AMAZING) Tons of Seinfeld (rightfully so), some mash mixed in, @DucatiGirl named off April Lovegate which is severely underrated, but is overshadowed by bigger names. I was surprised to see Homer SImpson and Peter Griffin in the mix also, completely unexpected, but for sure should be mentioned in the bunch we had. There were a few who I do know (Frank Galleger, NCIS cast) but have never watched.

So today the Ringer has the top 100 episodes of TV, they also have an article talking about how TV shows peak. A few paragraphs were dedicated to Freaks and Geeks, which had a hyperlink to a new documentary about the show. Me personally I am a huge Freaks and Geek fan. Not only is it set in a era I remember fondly growing up in, but it has to be one of the best ensembles of young talent, that have moved on to very big careers. I am having a hard time thinking of a show that launched an amazing period of movies and television 3 to 4 years later. So is there a show that was short lived like Freaks and Geeks, that created a cast of people who went on to do amazing things?

Linda Cardelinni - ER, Mad Men, Robot Chicken
John Daley - Bones, Horrible Bosses
Franco - yeah its James Franco
Rogen - It's Seth Rogen, although knocked up put him in a different stratisphere
Segel - Personal fave is Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Martin Starr - KNocked up, Silicon Valley, Drunk History
Samm Levine - Movie Trivia Schmoedown, Wet Hot American Summer
Busy Philips - ER, Cougar Town (amazing!), Vice Principals
BEN FOSTER!! - Six Feet Under, Aint Them Bosy Saints, Lone Survivor, 3:10 To Yuma, Hell Or High Water

And the smaller roles that have made huge impacts....Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jason Schwartzmann, Shia Lebouf, Allen Covert, and Rashida Jones.

https://www.aetv.com/shows/cultureshock/season-1/episode-4

Last edited:
Best I can think of is Arrested Development, although they just released a new season a few months ago. Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, and Jeffrey Tambor have all become relatively big.

I love Freaks and Geeks. I might be in the minority, but I actually love the fact that it was cancelled. The one season means it gets to live on in perfection, before the actors got too old and left and the story lines got stale or worse -- too out there (e.g., the murder plot in Friday Night Lights).

Maybe Firefly? But that's just me and my nerd-tastic view of entertainment.

Freaks and Geeks was fantastic - I'm a huge Ben Foster fan, every role he's done I've enjoyed.

So about a month ago I had posted a question on who was the best TV character ever to grace our television screens. I really liked the responses to it, and there were a lot more Archie Bunker than I expected. (I tend to tie in Archie with his whole family, Jean Smart was AMAZING) Tons of Seinfeld (rightfully so), some mash mixed in, @DucatiGirl named off April Lovegate which is severely underrated, but is overshadowed by bigger names. I was surprised to see Homer SImpson and Peter Griffin in the mix also, completely unexpected, but for sure should be mentioned in the bunch we had. There were a few who I do know (Frank Galleger, NCIS cast) but have never watched.

So today the Ringer has the top 100 episodes of TV, they also have an article talking about how TV shows peak. A few paragraphs were dedicated to Freaks and Geeks, which had a hyperlink to a new documentary about the show. Me personally I am a huge Freaks and Geek fan. Not only is it set in a era I remember fondly growing up in, but it has to be one of the best ensembles of young talent, that have moved on to very big careers. I am having a hard time thinking of a show that launched an amazing period of movies and television 3 to 4 years later. So is there a show that was short lived like Freaks and Geeks, that created a cast of people who went on to do amazing things?

Linda Cardelinni - ER, Mad Men, Robot Chicken
John Daley - Bones, Horrible Bosses
Franco - yeah its James Franco
Rogen - It's Seth Rogen, although knocked up put him in a different stratisphere
Segel - Personal fave is Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Martin Starr - KNocked up, Silicon Valley, Drunk History
Samm Levine - Movie Trivia Schmoedown, Wet Hot American Summer
Busy Philips - ER, Cougar Town (amazing!), Vice Principals
BEN FOSTER!! - Six Feet Under, Aint Them Bosy Saints, Lone Survivor, 3:10 To Yuma, Hell Or High Water

And the smaller roles that have made huge impacts....Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jason Schwartzmann, Shia Lebouf, Allen Covert, and Rashida Jones.

https://www.aetv.com/shows/cultureshock/season-1/episode-4

The Halloween episode broke my heart.

Don't know if it was the acting or the directing and writing but watching stuff happen to John Daley's character always felt like it was happening to my best friend or something. Guess I am squarely in the "geeks" cohort that the show so excellently depicted.

Remember the one where a kid sprinkled peanuts in Haverchuck's sandwich and almost killed him? When he 'fessed up and said he just thought Bill was lying about being allergic and Bill was like, "Why would I lie about that?", that was a great scene.

Best I can think of is Arrested Development, although they just released a new season a few months ago. Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, and Jeffrey Tambor have all become relatively big.

Oh yeah AD would be a good example. I think it did revitalize JB, and the rest of the cast did get bigger afterwards.

Not nerdy at all Firefly was fantastic, I actually think this is a good example. Although maybe a little less of a splash Hollywood wise compared to Freaks and Geeks. Serenity though....man loved that movie.

I have to say I really had high hopes for Summer Glau and the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Edith Bunker was portrayed by Jean Stapleton. Jean Smart was a character on “Designing Women”.

HAHAHA omg I just realized the mistake....thank you for pointing that out.

The Halloween episode broke my heart.

Don't know if it was the acting or the directing and writing but watching stuff happen to John Daley's character always felt like it was happening to my best friend or something. Guess I am squarely in the "geeks" cohort that the show so excellently depicted.

Remember the one where a kid sprinkled peanuts in Haverchuck's sandwich and almost killed him? When he 'fessed up and said he just thought Bill was lying about being allergic and Bill was like, "Why would I lie about that?", that was a great scene.

So many great episodes. I still have to say I really enjoy the pilot still, and the season finale.

I love Freaks and Geeks. I might be in the minority, but I actually love the fact that it was cancelled. The one season means it gets to live on in perfection, before the actors got too old and left and the story lines got stale or worse -- too out there (e.g., the murder plot in Friday Night Lights).

I actually like this too, it's a great show to binge watch in a few days if you want to. I always have this vision og Lindsey's parents finding out she is not where they think she is, and how all that pans out. What was the adventures of she had with Kim during the summer? SO many open ended questions. It would actually be a good read if some fan did a book or something.

I have to say I really had high hopes for Summer Glau and the Sarah Connor Chronicles.
It was getting so good too when they cancelled it. Kinda reminds me of Stargate Universe where the first season lost the audience as it was just ok, the second season was epic, but nobody came back to watch, and it got cancelled.

Our favorite episode was the one that started with Mal sitting naked in the desert saying, "That went well..."

Or the one where the bad guy's last line was, "Well, here I am!".

Not nerdy at all Firefly was fantastic, I actually think this is a good example. Although maybe a little less of a splash Hollywood wise compared to Freaks and Geeks. Serenity though....man loved that movie.

I'd never even heard of Firefly until I saw Serenity in the theater. Now I own the entire series on DVD and my wife and I binge watch them every now and again.

Such a great series.

Freaks and Geeks

Our favorite episode was the one that started with Mal sitting naked in the desert saying, "That went well..."

Or the one where the bad guy's last line was, "Well, here I am!".

I know, right? “I swear by my pretty floral bonnet” is also a fabbo line! And the story was JUST about to explode with the Blue Sun thing too.

*arms crossed and grumpy. Stupid Fox network.

I know, right? “I swear by my pretty floral bonnet” is also a fabbo line! And the story was JUST about to explode with the Blue Sun thing too.

*arms crossed and grumpy. Stupid Fox network.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Freaks and Geeks is awesome. Such a fantastic cast. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't find out about it until a couple years ago. Just one great season. As a child of the 80s, I watched it with great interest and remember fondly many of the references. Now comes this Firefly. I've heard of it, but didn't realize it was a must watch. Guess I'll put that next in my queue.

Shiny! If we ever meet, remind me to give you an extra high five! :D Firefly and Serenity are FAN-friggin-TASTIC!

Sarah Connor Chronicles was great and Summer was great in it ... not sure why people stopped watching it but I was sad to see it canceled.

Shiny! If we ever meet, remind me to give you an extra high five! :D Firefly and Serenity are FAN-friggin-TASTIC!

Sarah Connor Chronicles was great and Summer was great in it ... not sure why people stopped watching it but I was sad to see it canceled.

Hopefully I'll make the Granddaddy and I'll wear my Browncoat when we meet!

Back