Crazy Kirkland Ball story

Chisag

Reaction score
Handicap
+0.7
... My wife, son and I played Sunday and my wife was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3 and hit a big drive in the middle of the fairway. (Big as in 220) We start walking to our drives and some yahoo drives up, jumps out of his cart and hits her ball then drives away. He had to miss his fairway by almost 200 yds. My son, an ex college DE and a big boy, trots over to their fairway and confronts the guy in a respectful manner. He says he was playing a Kirkland. Yea, of course he was. Was it a Kirkland Performance +? Yes, yes he says. And was it a #3? Again yes, yes a #3! My son looks at his ball and says does yours have 2 black dots and 2 green dots? Um no, it doesn't he says. My son points to the ball and he rolls it over and he see's the dots.

... Now he is just so sorry as he just never imagined someone else was playing a Kirkland Performance + #3. He gave it back and said please take this as an apology, I am so sorry. He pulled a ball out of his bag and handed my son a new ProV1 and my son accepted it. "At least his lying cost him a ProV1" he said.

... I hit my second shot and we are walking to my sons ball and right there against the cut of the rough is a ... Kirkland Performance + #3!?!?!?! The other group is just coming off the green and my son trots up and gives him the ball. He is still very apologetic and my sons tells him we should be apologizing too. He try's to give back the ProV1 and the guy says please keep it, he should have looked at the ball closer since it was in our fairway and not his.

... LOL, what are the odds, one million to one that 2 players on adjacent fairways are both playing Kirkland Performance + #3 balls?

Ha, great story! Long odds for sure. And great lesson in always giving the benefit of the doubt, because you never know!

Always mark your ball! Good story, those Kirkland and Snell's are getting more popular. I see those more than I see my Z-Stars.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

This a the reason I have went to only playing personalized balls with my forum name on them. Great story and the odds are way high!!!!

When i started reading this thread, I assumed it was going to devolve into one of those fight on the golf course stories....

I play Pro V1X 11s almost exclusively. I order several dozen when the custom numbers go on special. I’ve never had a problem with misidentification.

Great story. I've noticed that very few people in the Salt Lake Valley play Kirkland balls, as they're not stocked in any of the stores here (although, evidently the largest Costco in the Country is in Salt Lake City). I've found that they perform in general as well as any high-end golf ball. Not that I'm very picky, personally.

Speaking of the K-Sigs... I just recently purchased my allotted 2 boxes of balls online through Costco.com, and when they arrived I found that they were, indeed the "Performance +", which appears to be a three-piece ball similar to the Bridgestone E6. Though I have yet to compare it to the four-piece "Tour Preferred", does anyone know if the "TP" is even still offered, or if Costco's inventory is just so small that there is very little opportunity to choose the model?

Thanks,

-Bishop

Definitely not an everyday occurrence. I hate putting any marks on my balls and only do it for tournament play. Paid off in this instance.

Funny story, Chisag.

The odds are .... slim.

Reminds me that a couple of weeks ago, I am playing a ProV1x 99, hit my drive, find ball, hit it, and my playing partner can't find his ball. I go about 20 yrds ahead (in the woods) and my ball is at my feet. I asked him, "What ball did you have?"- he says, "ProV1x 66." I start laughing and apologize. 66 ... 99... weird

Speaking of the K-Sigs... I just recently purchased my allotted 2 boxes of balls online through Costco.com, and when they arrived I found that they were, indeed the "Performance +", which appears to be a three-piece ball similar to the Bridgestone E6. Though I have yet to compare it to the four-piece "Tour Preferred", does anyone know if the "TP" is even still offered, or if Costco's inventory is just so small that there is very little opportunity to choose the model

... The 3 piece Performance + is a urethane covered ball that for my money closely resembles CUT Blue and not similar to the E6 at all. It is a really good ball, although I just don't care for the shiny cover that makes it look like a cheap distance ball. That said, its performance is excellent.

This is why I play a yellow and or yellow/Black Truvis.

Good story. Thanks!

What are the odds of that happening? Haha that's a really funny story.

Very slim odds I would have said for that to happen

I have been playing the yellow/black Truvis recently and about a month or so ago I out with my wife and we were playing the 4th at my home course and I hit a bullet of a 2nd shot low off the face of a 5i straight at some trees/bushes on the right side of the fairway (my line was directly over them as I had pushed my tee shot slightly right) but we never really heard it hit anything so assumed it had gone through

Couldn't find the ball so I just gave it up as lost, but after the round we were talking to a couple of the other groups who were out after us and one of the ladies said they had hit a ball into the same trees and they actually found my ball in there so gave it back to me

Guess that is a bonus of being the only person at the club who uses the yellow/black Truvis balls as a lot of people know that it is me who uses them :D

Happens all the time. That's why it's best to mark your balls.

K-Sigs are taking over the world!!! YES!!!!

Happens all the time. That's why it's best to mark your balls.

... I kinda doubt it happens all the time with Kirkland balls. Because this was not the 4 piece which I have seen a few times on the course. But I have never even seen a 3 piece Performance + played by anyone other than my son and wife, let alone the same #3. But I agree, it is always best to mark your ball.

Great story.

My joke is if you play with an unmarked prov1, chances are there will be one in the rough or woods in the general vicinity of your "lost" ball.

I was "that" guy the other day.

Had hit a pretty good drive except I heard tree limb on the point of trees that juts out into the fairway. It narrows the fairway down, pinching it in towards a small water hole. Had it not hit a tree limb, it'd be 30-40 yards past the trees. Unknown to me, another player had advanced a poor tee shot. We play ready golf and don't particularly keep up with everyone's shots. I was lingering back in the woods on the cart path til I thought the line of fire was open.

Went to search for my ball, I found one lying right under the tree on the point. Had a blue line on it underneath the *Chrome Soft X* type. Blue dots are predominant around here. I proceeded to punch a 7 iron to avoid low hanging branches. Decent shot, a few yards off the green to the right. Driving by I saw another ball about 20 yards further up and thought nothing about it.

Got to the green and a guy asks me "did you hit the wrong ball"? No, I don't............looked at the ball and it was a regular CS. Darn. His ball was marked with a blue line under the type.

I was "that" guy the other day.

Had hit a pretty good drive except I heard tree limb on the point of trees that juts out into the fairway. It narrows the fairway down, pinching it in towards a small water hole. Had it not hit a tree limb, it'd be 30-40 yards past the trees. Unknown to me, another player had advanced a poor tee shot. We play ready golf and don't particularly keep up with everyone's shots. I was lingering back in the woods on the cart path til I thought the line of fire was open.

Went to search for my ball, I found one lying right under the tree on the point. Had a blue line on it underneath the *Chrome Soft X* type. Blue dots are predominant around here. I proceeded to punch a 7 iron to avoid low hanging branches. Decent shot, a few yards off the green to the right. Driving by I saw another ball about 20 yards further up and thought nothing about it.

Got to the green and a guy asks me "did you hit the wrong ball"? No, I don't............looked at the ball and it was a regular CS. Darn. His ball was marked with a blue line under the type.

... LOL, pretty slim odds you both had blue lines under the type, but this is why I came up with a unique way to mark my ball. Never seen another like it so I feel pretty sure I will not run into your situation. I mark my wife's ball the same way but with green and black dots.

Ball Markings.JPG

... LOL, pretty slim odds you both had blue lines under the type, but this is why I came up with a unique way to mark my ball. Never seen another like it so I feel pretty sure I will not run into your situation. I mark my wife's ball the same way but with green and black dots.

View attachment 34475

That ought to keep em straight. I started marking my Callaways with a Red V outlining their black one.

Back