Shaft fitting, driver head specific or interchangeable?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
With all the new shafts coming out recently it got me to thinking....

You've been fitted for a certain shaft, the internet golfer in you wants to try the latest and greatest. Lets say you want to upgrade/change your driver head. Does that shaft you were fitted for only work with that head? OR is it interchangeable with newer products and/or other companies products?

Another question...If you were to purchase the latest and greatest driver would you order the same shaft you were already fit for if its still available or would you go get fitted again?

Usually the head characteristics will affect ball flight more than the shaft. I'd say even affect strike quality if the head weights are drastically different. Another fitting with new head would be the best way to go, I'd think

I'm no knowledge guru but I think it it will be dependent on head type and design- if you were playing a low spin/high launch head and switched to a lower launching higher spinning head or vice versa then I would say no it won't produce the numbers your looking for.

Now if your going from gbb 815 to gbb 816 then I'd guess yes it would do well.

Buying New
I would go through another fitting if my shaft fits then it will be part of the testing. I'd prolly give it my current shaft a run in the new head after re-tipping it for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the new shafts coming out recently it got me to thinking....

You've been fitted for a certain shaft, the internet golfer in you wants to try the latest and greatest. Lets say you want to upgrade/change your driver head. Does that shaft you were fitted for only work with that head? OR is it interchangeable with newer products and/or other companies products?

Another question...If you were to purchase the latest and greatest driver would you order the same shaft you were already fit for if its still available or would you go get fitted again?

Awesome questions, I have wondered the same thing. I wonder if the weight of the head would throw off performance of the shaft?

I would get fit again. I may use the previous shaft as a baseline but would let the numbers dictate with the new head what's the best combo

I would get fit again since the head makes a bigger change to ball flight than the shaft. I was lucky enough for my PX Handcrafted LZ 60 to work really well between Big Bertha Alpha and BB 815 DBD, but in my GBB head it is a no go. For whatever reason a lower spinning and heavier shaft just worked better for me in the GBB head. Started with the Diamana D+ 70 and now using the XPHLEXXX Agera (~73g), both were far better for me in the new head.

This is very interesting to me as I have been playing around with Drivers shafts lately and have had really mixed results. Now apparently I have been basically trying the same class shaft expecting different results and do not have any data but my eyes.

All shafts are within an 1/8" in length and are all stiff (or what is labeled as stiff)

Assuming a good full backswing and things are firing correctly the baseline shaft I bought from Mr. Kang (Speeder 661) has been the most consistent and is the heaviest, but the lightest Matrix RUL 60 is by far the longest but the wildest and the Red Tie 6Q3 (in between both in weight) was between the two in performance.

I set the head today at 8 deg. (D) Sliding weight just a notch from the center towards draw with the RUL 60 and still hit it real high but long and unless I really concentrated on staying smooth I lost it right bad.

SO I ask the more knowledgeable here, if the lighter shaft gains some distance but accuracy suffers would a lighter but stiffer shaft give me the added distance but bring back some control? I know the only way to really know is the get on a LM, but that is not a option at this time.

A couple of the misses today were just crap swings and I accept that, just fishing for some info to fuel the search for the Holy Grail which may be a Grandura by the sound of the reviews and tech available to be able to swing away and still find it.

Back