Company Golf Tournament Ideas

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I plan our company tournament every year in September. Normally we get approx. 72-100 players and its always a lot of fun. This year I would like to add some fun on course contests besides the normal closest to the pin/longest drive stuff and need some ideas from THP on some unique ways to engage everyone on course.

You could try that spin the wheel thing they did at Innisbrook. Have to hit either a 1 iron, left handed club, driver(on a par 3), or a kids club.

Played in one a few years ago where they also had a "closest putt." Find the craziest green out there and give people like a 75 foot putt over a ridge or something. Gives the less accomplished players a better chance to win something. Can just have everyone do it when they play that hole too. Only takes an extra few minutes.

Played in one a few years ago where they also had a "closest putt." Find the craziest green out there and give people like a 75 foot putt over a ridge or something. Gives the less accomplished players a better chance to win something. Can just have everyone do it when they play that hole too. Only takes an extra few minutes.

I've seen this done on the practice green also

We used to do a two’s competition. Everyone chucks in a couple of quid (or in your case, dollars) and whoever cards a 2 gets a share of the pot. We also used to do nearest the pin on second shot to mix things up sometimes.

#FiberLaunch

good luck planning the tournament - you get an awesome turnout so it must be a ton of fun.

a couple of fun contests i have seen at tournaments:

- tightest group; each member of the 4 some hits and the 4 some with the tightest dispersion wins (par 3 or practice pitching area)
- I second the closest putt on the craziest putting green from a long way away.
- closest to the pin; bunker shots at a practice green.
- flop shot over a cart - hit a close and high flop successfully, get a raffle ticket for some giveaway.

All of these seem to give some other folks a chance at getting into the prizes.

This doesn't directly answer your question, so I apologize for the slight drift, but for the right crowd it's a lot of fun. Every fall one of the local courses here does what they call "The No Wimps Open". It's a scramble where about half of the course plays pretty straight forward, but on some holes the tee boxes are moved into the trees, pins are cut in near impossible locations, some holes are completely rerouted so you tee off from the 6th tee box back to the 5th green (65 yard par 3 over trees or through a bunker), etc.

Probably not for the average company outing with non-golfers, but it's a riot for those who play regularly and enjoy trying new and creative shots.

Do a best ball off the tee, but the second shot for each is blind folded. One team mate sets up the player so he has the ball addressed and then player swings away. Wherever the ball ends up, shot #3.

Maybe a tie in to the company - does it make a product? Can you use the product on, say, the 5th hole? So each team of 4 has to come up with a creative way to use string or tie rods or whatever on the way to the hole.

Have a theme contest? My cousin and I joke that what's missing in golf is that every cart should have a personalized flag. So have each team come up with a flag and if the company will go for it, have it made? (A screenprinting shop probably can't be that expensive). If you can make four of them (maye with the year and the golf course, like a pin flag) then everyone has a souvenir and can be encouraged to hang it in the office.

I like the spinning wheel idea with the club to tee off with, or one person from each team can only use that club on an alternating shot par 5.

Shortest drive, lol. We do that one.

We did that for one of our work tournaments. Winner got a sleeve of pink ladies. lol

We did that for one of our work tournaments. Winner got a sleeve of pink ladies. lol

did one at a tournament last week, and my buddy was longer than the shortest by 1.5'. lol, not one you want to win. It was under 15' lol. Been there so shouldn't laugh.

Our company sells HVAC equipment so we had an exhaust fan painted up with our logo and we put it out in one of the par 5 fairways. Closest to the fan wins a prize. Like a long drive, but more fair for the non-long bombers.

Another tournament I played in put a case of beer off to the side of one green (and partway up a steep slope) Closest to the case won it. Someone will have to dedicate their putt to trying to win the case.

Beat the pro - either a par 3 or a par 5 have the club pro hit a shot with a range ball. Anyone who outdoes his/her shot wins a prize.

At Construction Association Tournament at Cooke golf course. And they had this golf ball cannon, powered by compressed air, and a generator to fill the compressor. It would shoot around 340 yards, and we had to pay $5 to use it, but then got to use the shot as our drive in the tournament. They also had a rope circle in the fairway over 300 yards away. If you got the ball in the circle you won a 13oz bottle of booze. Really neat idea. Gonna create a thread about this, lol

Maybe a tie in to the company - does it make a product? Can you use the product on, say, the 5th hole? So each team of 4 has to come up with a creative way to use string or tie rods or whatever on the way to the hole.

Have a theme contest? My cousin and I joke that what's missing in golf is that every cart should have a personalized flag. So have each team come up with a flag and if the company will go for it, have it made? (A screenprinting shop probably can't be that expensive). If you can make four of them (maye with the year and the golf course, like a pin flag) then everyone has a souvenir and can be encouraged to hang it in the office.

I like the spinning wheel idea with the club to tee off with, or one person from each team can only use that club on an alternating shot par 5.

Not sure if the course would be OK with parking one of these on the 3rd green.

26Large.png

I don't know if its been mentioned but one I also see is instead of longest drive, its straightest drive. There is a line painted in the middle of the fairway and the one closest to the line wins.

Not sure if the course would be OK with parking one of these on the 3rd green.

26Large.png

Grab one of the small enclosed trailers and see they can hit the side of it or get a ball in the trailer.

Could do it on the driving range for a prize or drop advantage on a long par 4 or something.

Grab one of the small enclosed trailers and see they can hit the side of it or get a ball in the trailer.

Could do it on the driving range for a prize or drop advantage on a long par 4 or something.

Or pitch into the trailer.

Or use boxes, that plastic moving wrap, moving blankets... options are endless!

Back