Shaft choice in callaway steelhead xr

Farmergolf

Drink Milk
Reaction score
Handicap
Unknown
I was set on trying ping g irons to replace my old x-16 but now see callaway pre owned has sale on steelhead xr. I wonder what shaft to get? I hit pretty high, straight shot with the x-16, carry maybe 135-140 with almost no roll out. I see they have recoil 660,760 and a ozik f15 in graphite and the true temper xp95 in steel. Any of these better for my shot type? I know fitting is best but I am a farmer that gets about 10 rounds a year and these fit my farmer budget. Also live in the country and not any fitters near me. Thanks

I bought a set of X16 steelhead with graphite F15 shafts... best set of clubs I've ever owned. Long & straight to the target.

I was set on trying ping g irons to replace my old x-16 but now see callaway pre owned has sale on steelhead xr. I wonder what shaft to get? I hit pretty high, straight shot with the x-16, carry maybe 135-140 with almost no roll out. I see they have recoil 660,760 and a ozik f15 in graphite and the true temper xp95 in steel. Any of these better for my shot type? I know fitting is best but I am a farmer that gets about 10 rounds a year and these fit my farmer budget. Also live in the country and not any fitters near me. Thanks

Age? Approximate driver carry distance (or even better Swing speed if you know it)? What club are you carrying 135-140 with no roll out. I'll try to help but need a little more info:)

Age? Approximate driver carry distance (or even better Swing speed if you know it)? What club are you carrying 135-140 with no roll out. I'll try to help but need a little more info:)

Edit: duh, check profile for age-got that one:)

Thanks for reply. Not sure of swing speed but guess mid - upper 90s? Driver carry about 225-230. The 135 carry club is a 7 iron

Seven iron carry seems a little low based on driver carry, a perfect excuse to get new(ish) irons! Given the choices and your response, I'd probably go with the steel XP95's. If you've always played steel iron shafts the recoils will probably feel way too light for you. If you go graphite I'd go with the Oziks in either 95 or 120 gram. The lighter weight ones may also feel too light depending on what you currently play.

Years and years ago I picked up one of the first graphite shafted irons in an unclaimed club bin at a local course. It was a nine iron. I couldn't hit that thing to save my life, mainly because the shaft was so much lighter than anything I'd ever used.

What shaft is in your current irons? Even the XP95's might seem too light based on what you currently have. If you can get used to a lighter shaft, you should see an increase in distance. If you already hit the ball high, going too light may also gain additional height which can make any sort of wind a problem. It can be very hard to get used to a radically different shaft. I'm assuming that if you only play 10ish times a year you probably don't get out a ton to practice (I grew up in a farming community, I know how busy you folk are!). So depending on what your current shaft is, I'd recommend staying as close to that as you can. I've bought clubs that were so radically different that I struggled to hit them with any kind of decent contact.

Thanks for the great info! I have always used steel and will say hitting couple shots with buddies graphite irons did feel like off. The old callaway irons I use now have stock steel uni flex shafts, not sure of the weight. Would you recommend regular flex in the xp95 then? We are busy on farm all the time but my 12 year old son getting into golf gets me out more, they are only young so long! Thanks again

If you plan on keeping them for a long time I would seriously look at Recoil 660 or 760 which are basically the same shaft just different year. I saw your age and as you get older you will appreciate the graphite shafts and the Recoil IMO are the best iron shafts out there. I had 660 on my Steelheads and now play Apex with 760.

Thanks for the great info! I have always used steel and will say hitting couple shots with buddies graphite irons did feel like off. The old callaway irons I use now have stock steel uni flex shafts, not sure of the weight. Would you recommend regular flex in the xp95 then? We are busy on farm all the time but my 12 year old son getting into golf gets me out more, they are only young so long! Thanks again

No problem! I have three boys (14,13,6) who all golf. Well my 6 year old only putts:). That's awesome that you're getting your boy into it! Nothing gets me more excited than youth golf.

As far as flex goes, I've found for most golfers there is not a ton of difference between regular and stiff shafts in steel iron shafts. Certainly is a ton of difference in the way they feel between brands/types, but the same shaft in regular or stiff probably won't make a ton of difference. I hesitate to put down my swing speed with driver because it's controversial but let's just say I swing pretty hard. I have a set of Nike Vapor Speed irons that I bought for my kids with Dynalite Reg Flex shafts and I can play them without any issue. So I would say regular flex should be fine. Uniflex is much lighter flexed than regular. I see the poster below me offered thoughts on the Recoils as well. I'll concur with him, they are great shafts. I would just strongly advise hitting them before taking that plunge since you are playing steel. I know it might not be possible but it is an entirely different feel which can be hard to adjust to.

At any rate, good luck in your decision and good job getting the kid involved!

The XP95 is a well 95 g shaft that promotes a high ball flight if that is what you are looking for then based on the 7 iron I would go with the R flex.
As posted the Recoil is an excellent graphite choice and will make for shocker absorber for the hands, wrists, elbows shoulders etc. The ion plating makes them look more like steel.
Look for the set that gets you into the GW from what I know the NE courses it will be a real tool in the bag. I am southern Ohio guy.

Back