2018 Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Today Srixon has announced the 11th generation of their Soft Feel golf ball. This ball aims to provide golfers with improved greenside spin, robust distances and accuracy from the tee, and of course, a nice soft feel on every shot.

Key Technologies

Energetic Gradient Growth Core
Produces a high-launch, low spin trajectory off the tee for added distance and an ultra-soft feel

Soft, Thin Cover
Provides more greenside spin and a softer feel on all pitches, chips, and putts.

338 Speed Dimple Pattern
The lower drag coefficient dimple pattern cuts through the wind for more accuracy and consistency on every shot.

i-6FhbVGP-XL.png

Soft Feel will be available in Soft White, Tour Yellow.
Soft Feel Lady will be available in Soft White and Passion Pink.

In their testing, Soft Feel outperformed similar balls like the Callaway Supersoft and Titleist Tour Soft in both distance, seven iron accuracy and pitch shot spin. Needless to say, Srixon is very excited as to how this ball performs against the competition. THP has received both white and yellow golf balls and will be putting them to the test. Below are some in hand photos and I will have some initial thoughts up shortly.

i-fVBtzRn-XL.jpg

i-3ffQSmv-XL.jpg

i-8PMBdhx-XL.jpg

i-GRn7KgZ-XL.jpg

i-RkR2rLw-XL.jpg

i-vN4RfvP-XL.jpg

Looks like a solid offering for sure. Looking forward to your thoughts Dean.

I think this is an often overlooked ball in the 2 piece category. I like what I am hearing out of the new version

May steal one of these from you this week Deano. Curious to see the changes actually in play.

Honestly, I have not met anyone who liked the previous versions and of this ball. They are going to have to do a lot to change people’s minds around here. I am certainly up for giving them a try but there are some solid offerings in a similar price category. I almost feel like they should have renamed it something else if it is a significant change just because how poorly it is received currently. Again, that may just be the thoughts where I live and I hope it’s a winner for them as I really like most of their balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
Honestly, I have not met anyone who liked the previous versions and of this ball. They are going to have to do a lot to change people’s minds around here. I am certainly up for giving them a try but there are some solid offerings in a similar price category. I almost feel like they should have renamed it something else if it is a significant change just because how poorly it is received currently. Again, that may just be the thoughts where I live and I hope it’s a winner for them as I really like most of their balls.

I understand if you can't, but could you expand on why you think nobody you have met has like the previous versions? What do you think they need to change? Do think they will be vastly different in on course performance than say the Q-Star?

I understand if you can't, but could you expand on why you think nobody you have met has like the previous versions? What do you think they need to change? Do think they will be vastly different in on course performance than say the Q-Star?

I can’t really name any one thing about them. Just seems around here when Srixon balls are discussed, the first thing I hear is stay away from the Soft Feel and don’t get any ball that isn’t Q-Star or better. People around here just seem to despise the ball. Again, I have never tried one myself as I generally have other balls I play often but they are just not well regarded where I live.

This isn't the segment of balls I tend to play, but whenever I've played one of these out of my wife's bag it's been as advertised. Obviously not a ton of greenside spin but that's not the target.

I like the green numbering - is that new this release or was that there in the previous?

• Staff
I can’t really name any one thing about them. Just seems around here when Srixon balls are discussed, the first thing I hear is stay away from the Soft Feel and don’t get any ball that isn’t Q-Star or better. People around here just seem to despise the ball. Again, I have never tried one myself as I generally have other balls I play often but they are just not well regarded where I live.

Cool, I was just curious, more on if it was something I can pinpoint to try and target for review purposes. I do think there are a lot of people out there who see a $20 two-piece ball and automatically think its no good for them. Not saying that is what is happening here, but that stigma is out there. It's funny, one of the unlikely golf balls that I got to review years ago and really liked was the Pinnacle Soft. Sure I gave up some greenside spin, but I knew that and felt like I could adjust. I just really thought, for me, that it felt good off irons and for under 20 was a really good bargain.

This isn't the segment of balls I tend to play, but whenever I've played one of these out of my wife's bag it's been as advertised. Obviously not a ton of greenside spin but that's not the target.

I like the green numbering - is that new this release or was that there in the previous?

I believe it was around the last time too.

When I first picked up the game, Srixon Soft Feel & AD333 were my go-to balls. Both excellent, and my favourite 2 piece balls by some distance. :good:

I never really found much difference in feel (or distance) off longer shots, but the AD333 looked like it had a touch more spin/stop on wedge shots to me. Not tour or urethane ball levels, of course but noticeable, even to me at the time. AD333 was a foot past it's pitchmark, Soft Feel was a yard, sort of difference.

Last edited:
Srixon have the 1st and 4th best selling 2 piece balls in the UK - AD333 1st (for 11 years!), Soft Feel 4th. I'm genuinely surprised at how it's received where you are - it goes against what I've encountered here. Horses for courses I suppose.

It’s weird, when I play around here I generally find on the course all variations of Titleist, the occasional Callaway, lots of Top Flight and Pinnacle, a few Noodle and Maxifly, and almost never a Srixon

It’s weird, when I play around here I generally find on the course all variations of Titleist, the occasional Callaway, lots of Top Flight and Pinnacle, a few Noodle and Maxifly, and almost never a Srixon

Course dependent down here. I think Snells are more commonly found than Srixons now. That said, I have always really liked their offerings. Have played the soft feel and it is as good as anything in the category for me.

I think this is an often overlooked ball in the 2 piece category. I like what I am hearing out of the new version
Yup I agree 100%. I remember hearing the interview l I think last year in the tech behind this ball I think it was the 2017 version, and remember thinking to myself, "I NEED to try this ball". Well, I did and it's easily on eof my favorite 2 piece balls. Definitely going to try this NEW version

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They go right after the Tour Soft in their ad for this ball. More distance, more soon and $15 less.

I will try this ball for sure. I have played the previous versions and got along well with them. They may not stop on a dime with spin, but you can get it done or allow for minimal rollout. This is a ball I like to play in the wintertime when temps are in the 40's.
Be happy to try this one out and see if there are some differences.

I wouldn’t take the balls that you find as a barometer on the quality of certain balls. You list some real bricks in your post. They were lost for a reason, I’ll say this from top to bottom Srixon has the best portfolio of balls on the market. If I’m not playing the Chrome Soft, I’m playing the Z-Star or Q-Star Tour.

I did try the previous gen Soft Feel during the winter when I was looking for a softer winter ball (although this theory has been debunked in another thread on THP). I will say that I didn’t really like that version of the Soft Feel, will be interested in seeing the feedback and what improvements have been made. This ball really isn’t one that I would look to play on a regular basis, but for the price point sensitive golfer, a great ball at the $19.99 price point would be a welcome addition.

2018 Srixon Soft Feel Golf Balls Review Thread

I wouldn’t take the balls that you find as a barometer on the quality of certain balls. You list some real bricks in your post. They were lost for a reason, I’ll say this from top to bottom Srixon has the best portfolio of balls on the market. If I’m not playing the Chrome Soft, I’m playing the Z-Star or Q-Star Tour.

I did try the previous gen Soft Feel during the winter when I was looking for a softer winter ball (although this theory has been debunked in another thread on THP). I will say that I didn’t really like that version of the Soft Feel, will be interested in seeing the feedback and what improvements have been made. This ball really isn’t one that I would look to play on a regular basis, but for the price point sensitive golfer, a great ball at the $19.99 price point would be a welcome addition.

I don’t necessarily agree with you on that. I think no matter how good you are or what ball you play there are times a ball can be lost. I think the bigger reason is there are not many pro shops around here that stock Srixon balls while most have Titleist and Pinnacle. However, I would be willing to bet that if you stood at the first tee box every day for a week and asked what brand balls each golfer is playing, the percentage of Srixon IN THIS AREA(sorry for caps on phone so can’t make it bold or italics) would be extremely low. I would also bet that if you looked at the Soft Feel ball in particular, you would be lucky to find anyone with them in their bag. It’s just not very well regarded by golfers here.

However, I would be willing to bet that if you stood at the first tee box every day for a week and asked what brand balls each golfer is playing, the percentage of Srixon IN THIS AREA(sorry for caps on phone so can’t make it bold or italics) would be extremely low. I would also bet that if you looked at the Soft Feel ball in particular, you would be lucky to find anyone with them in their bag.

I think that is true in a lot of areas, although I dont think that is an indictment on the product, but on the awareness of golfers. To use an example, odds are based on sales, if you did a survey of every driver in a bag, 3/4 of them would be Callaway or TaylorMade. That doesn't mean the rest are no good, just based on popularity.

I don’t necessarily agree with you on that. I think no matter how good you are or what ball you play there are times a ball can be lost. I think the bigger reason is there are not many pro shops around here that stock Srixon balls while most have Titleist and Pinnacle. However, I would be willing to bet that if you stood at the first tee box every day for a week and asked what brand balls each golfer is playing, the percentage of Srixon IN THIS AREA(sorry for caps on phone so can’t make it bold or italics) would be extremely low. I would also bet that if you looked at the Soft Feel ball in particular, you would be lucky to find anyone with them in their bag. It’s just not very well regarded by golfers here.

I’m sure more Pinnacle’s were being gamed on the first tee in your area last weekend, however all that means is a bunch of people are playing an inferior ball.

My point is that, while Srixon’s percentage of market share is lower than others, however they make some really good balls across all price points. Popular or not, performance should matter more. The pro shop at my course just started to carry Srixon balls last year, and they have started to sell well. In Asia, Srixon is one of the most popular brands, and they are starting to get a foothold in the US.

I think that is true in a lot of areas, although I dont think that is an indictment on the product, but on the awareness of golfers. To use an example, odds are based on sales, if you did a survey of every driver in a bag, 3/4 of them would be Callaway or TaylorMade. That doesn't mean the rest are no good, just based on popularity.

Oh I am simply saying that to argue that not many are found on the course is because better golfers are playing them and not losing balls is not a very accurate assumption in my opinion.

I am saying however that the Soft Feel ball itself is not very well regarded in this area for some reason.

I play low compression balls and have tried the previous versions. They were ok but priced higher than similar balls.
I will give these a shot when they are out.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Oh I am simply saying that to argue that not many are found on the course is because better golfers are playing them and not losing balls is not a very accurate assumption in my opinion.

I am saying however that the Soft Feel ball itself is not very well regarded in this area for some reason.

That is surprising to me, but could be a small sample size. As mentioned, its not a huge seller, but its a solid golf ball in the $20 segment. Some could argue it is one of the best in class in that segment. I mean comparing it to the Tour Soft at $15 most would not be able to tell a difference, and with the construction, they are very similar products.

Fully acknowledging that I am not aware of previous offerings with Srixon or others with this tech, but the EGG Core sounds pretty darn interesting. Changing the softness/hardness within a single layer of the ball just sounds very hard to do!

I will definitely be trying this ball. I have been gaming the Top Flite Gamer Soft balls and am about to run out. I can't find them anywhere and when I talked to Dick's about it, they seemed to think Top Flite will no longer be making them.

This post comes at an opportune time for me. Thanks!

Back