2018 Fantasy Football Thread

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With the NFL preseason starting tomorrow and many fantasy leagues beginning their season, I thought why not start a thread for this year. If there is another thread that is the official just let me know.

Fantasy Football is a year-long endeavor for me, but I know most don't start until August. As in every year, there are so many questions that need to be answered to help us to make the decisions needed to give us that advantage in winning our leagues. I thought this would be a great place to answer and discuss so many of those questions.

With the reinventing of the RB position, has the Zero RB theory died or can we take advantage of those owners over-drafting RBS while we load up on number 1 WR and then get a not yet proven RB to fill out our roster? I tend to punt RB 2 knowing I can always find sleepers and/or pick up a quality starter later in the draft or free agency. I am usually a Zero RB or 1 RB drafter.

Will this year's rookie class of RB have a similar impact on fantasy as last year? We all know Barkley is expected to do well, but what are your thoughts on Guice in Washington, Penny in SEA, Michel in NE, Freeman in Den, and Jones in TB? They all have decent looking opportunities to get 15+ touches.

Will any of this year's rookie class of WRs or even the bust from last year step up and give us starting numbers for our rosters. We all need to find that Agholor late in the draft that comes out of the ashes as a young WR to help our team.

Is TE the hole it looks like this year? Yea, we all know the big three are solid as long as healthy, but who in the next tier are the targets to get? I have my sites on Graham in GB and Burton in Chi as later round steals.

Of course, the all-important QB position is incredibly deep. I see 7 solid starters and another 8 or 9 players that could produce 20+ points on a weekly basis. Do you target one of the top QBs earlier (depends on league starters - 2QB leagues) or do you like to wait until past the 10th round and go after the second tier QB? Myself, three of the QBs I will be targeting late will be Luck, Mahomes, and Garoppolo. All three should go well after the initial group, and become late round QBs that will give the advantage of stocking up on RBs and WRs.

What are your thoughts on this upcoming year's biggest questions? And what are your targets/sleepers and busts to stay away from?

So many more questions to ask and answer.

We will have our official THP League thread up for Albatross Club members early next week as well.
Exciting times for sure.

I can't wait to sign up for that. Then, the trash talking begins.

With the NFL preseason starting tomorrow and many fantasy leagues beginning their season, I thought why not start a thread for this year. If there is another thread that is the official just let me know.

Fantasy Football is a year-long endeavor for me, but I know most don't start until August. As in every year, there are so many questions that need to be answered to help us to make the decisions needed to give us that advantage in winning our leagues. I thought this would be a great place to answer and discuss so many of those questions.

With the reinventing of the RB position, has the Zero RB theory died or can we take advantage of those owners over-drafting RBS while we load up on number 1 WR and then get a not yet proven RB to fill out our roster? I tend to punt RB 2 knowing I can always find sleepers and/or pick up a quality starter later in the draft or free agency. I am usually a Zero RB or 1 RB drafter.

Will this year's rookie class of RB have a similar impact on fantasy as last year? We all know Barkley is expected to do well, but what are your thoughts on Guice in Washington, Penny in SEA, Michel in NE, Freeman in Den, and Jones in TB? They all have decent looking opportunities to get 15+ touches.

Will any of this year's rookie class of WRs or even the bust from last year step up and give us starting numbers for our rosters. We all need to find that Agholor late in the draft that comes out of the ashes as a young WR to help our team.

Is TE the hole it looks like this year? Yea, we all know the big three are solid as long as healthy, but who in the next tier are the targets to get? I have my sites on Graham in GB and Burton in Chi as later round steals.

Of course, the all-important QB position is incredibly deep. I see 7 solid starters and another 8 or 9 players that could produce 20+ points on a weekly basis. Do you target one of the top QBs earlier (depends on league starters - 2QB leagues) or do you like to wait until past the 10th round and go after the second tier QB? Myself, three of the QBs I will be targeting late will be Luck, Mahomes, and Garoppolo. All three should go well after the initial group, and become late round QBs that will give the advantage of stocking up on RBs and WRs.

What are your thoughts on this upcoming year's biggest questions? And what are your targets/sleepers and busts to stay away from?

So many more questions to ask and answer.

You beat me to it, thanks for posting this thread! I am for sure going to have some questions about what to do in my keeper leagues. That reminds me, I need to see who I have again haha.

Any preliminary thoughts as to who I should keep (2 players)? My season was awash last year in this league due to injuries, just like in my THP league. So, I started planning for this year and held onto a lot of rookies. RB is a tough position in this league and people stock up on them or draft them very early, so I am starting there for my team for this year's draft. Which 2 should I keep? I'm leaning towards Henry & Cook. Thanks!

Derrick Henry
Dalvin Cook
Joe Mixon
Christian McCaffrey

Any preliminary thoughts as to who I should keep (2 players)? My season was awash last year in this league due to injuries, just like in my THP league. So, I started planning for this year and held onto a lot of rookies. RB is a tough position in this league and people stock up on them or draft them very early, so I am starting there for my team for this year's draft. Which 2 should I keep? I'm leaning towards Henry & Cook. Thanks!

Derrick Henry
Dalvin Cook
Joe Mixon
Christian McCaffrey

PPR or standard?

Do you lose any round picks for your keepers?

What is your lineup setup?

There is no question, Cook is a keeper no matter what setup, but the others depends on league setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPR or standard?

There is no question, Cook is a keeper no matter what setup, but the others depends on league setup.

Without knowing your league setup I would keep Cooks and Mixon. Mixon is going to be a Beast this year.

PPR or standard?

You're right sorry about that. It's a 0.5 PPR league.
Starters: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, Flex (RB/WR/TE), Def, K
6 Bench spots
Keepers count as our Round 1-2 picks. So, if you keep no one you would have those draft picks. There is no way of knowing what everyone is doing until 1 hr before the draft and depending on the draft order and what team is keeping which players it is possibly worth it to only keep 1 player or even none.

I also have Chris Carson, but didn't include him in the original post because I figured there would be no way I keep him over any of the players I initially listed

I completely bailed on FF this ear. Too much stuff and too much travel to be playing something and donating $150 to a pool of guys who have far more time than I do

You're right sorry about that. It's a 0.5 PPR league.
Starters: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, Flex (RB/WR/TE), Def, K
6 Bench spots
Keepers count as our Round 1-2 picks. So, if you keep no one you would have those draft picks. There is no way of knowing what everyone is doing until 1 hr before the draft and depending on the draft order and what team is keeping which players it is possibly worth it to only keep 1 player or even none.

I also have Chris Carson, but didn't include him in the original post because I figured there would be no way I keep him over any of the players I initially listed

Ok, so you don’t have a sure fire 1st round pick. Cook is still a keeper as I would expect most of the top RBs are kept.

Question, do you know your slot? I understand you don’t know who is keeping whom, but if no one kept a second player where would you pick? I am thinking your 2nd round pick will be better then the players your are listing.

How about any timeframe on the keepers? Anyone possibly being thrown back in the draft due to kept max years?

Ok, so you don’t have a sure fire 1st round pick. Cook is still a keeper as I would expect most of the top RBs are kept.

Question, do you know your slot? I understand you don’t know who is keeping whom, but if no one kept a second player where would you pick? I am thinking your 2nd round pick will be better then the players your are listing.

How about any timeframe on the keepers? Anyone possibly being thrown back in the draft due to kept max years?

We usually randomize the draft order 1 hour before the draft starts so that's where it gets tricky and a lot of strategy comes into play. Also, there's no max timeframe for keepers. For example, I drafted Odell Beckham as a rookie and this will be the first year I don't have him. Usually people keep their RBs with maybe a couple WRs and QBs being kept.

We usually randomize the draft order 1 hour before the draft starts so that's where it gets tricky and a lot of strategy comes into play. Also, there's no max timeframe for keepers. For example, I drafted Odell Beckham as a rookie and this will be the first year I don't have him. Usually people keep their RBs with maybe a couple WRs and QBs being kept.

Ok, since you lose 35+ points with McCafferty and none of the other players are a guaranteed 24th rated player, I wouldn’t keep a second player. You have to get a top 24 and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple teams had too many keepers with so many late round flyers panning out. Drop the other three and take best on your board in the second round. You still have some good rookie picks coming out, so some owners are going to throw back players to have a shot on them. If you knew you were number one in the draft, you throw them all back and take Barkley.

Ok, since you lose 35+ points with McCafferty and none of the other players are a guaranteed 24th rated player, I wouldn’t keep a second player. You have to get a top 24 and I wouldn’t be surprised if a couple teams had too many keepers with so many late round flyers panning out. Drop the other three and take best on your board in the second round. You still have some good rookie picks coming out, so some owners are going to throw back players to have a shot on them. If you knew you were number one in the draft, you throw them all back and take Barkley.

Appreciate it! Can't wait for my draft days. Did 4 leagues last year, but this year I think it'll be 3. 4 was a little tough to manage haha

Appreciate it! Can't wait for my draft days. Did 4 leagues last year, but this year I think it'll be 3. 4 was a little tough to manage haha

You should try best ball drafts. Draft and forget it. No in season management.

The 1st time in 8 years I won't be having a work league. All the kneeling and constant bitching have made people lose interest and not wanna play anymore.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

I think if your league has a flex position you have to go RB early and often. I am trying to figure out if I want the 4th spot in my draft to get the last guy left of Gurley, Bell,Zeke,& David Johnson or if I want to go 8 or 9 and grab Fournette or Hunt and also get another top player. There is a drop off starting at the 16th or 17th pick imo.

I like Jerrick McKinnon for a sleeper RB. I like Tre Burton for a later TE. Both guys got paid $’s that indicate to me their team thinks they are studs.

Also my last 3 picks will be QB, D, K unless a QB falls ridiculously far at some point. I just think loading up on RB’s and WR’s is the smart play no matter what.

Look for the THP fantasy threads on Monday.

Great prizes and deepest leagues around.

I think if your league has a flex position you have to go RB early and often. I am trying to figure out if I want the 4th spot in my draft to get the last guy left of Gurley, Bell,Zeke,& David Johnson or if I want to go 8 or 9 and grab Fournette or Hunt and also get another top player. There is a drop off starting at the 16th or 17th pick imo.

I like Jerrick McKinnon for a sleeper RB. I like Tre Burton for a later TE. Both guys got paid $’s that indicate to me their team thinks they are studs.

Also my last 3 picks will be QB, D, K unless a QB falls ridiculously far at some point. I just think loading up on RB’s and WR’s is the smart play no matter what.

Definitely like the 4th slot over the 8-9 this year. Providing no injuries to the top four rbs, the player you get back in the second and then followed up in the beginning of the third is the option I would prefer. With everyone going so heavy RB this year,as an over compensation, will leave some top flight WR in the second and third round. If you play in a TE bonus league, grabbing Gronk or Kelsie also gives you an advantage.

Picking 12th in a 12 team PPR redraft league. I'm planning to alternate RB and WR for at least the first 6 rounds, then see what's left at QB and TE.

Back