Club Champion - Excellent Experience

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
Before I met my wife I was pleased with the direction my game was going. I was finding time to practice, to improve on things, to change routines up etc. However, with all that said, I did not take care of my body. I was playing daily, practicing daily, and combining that with a propensity to come steep into the ball and take large divots I developed a severe case of tendonitis in my left wrist. As I picked the clubs back up last season I realized one thing... the days of heavy, stiff steel shafts were over for me. I lost about 12 MPH in swing speed and now play more of a hybrid Stack and Tilt swing focused more on tempo than power.

To the good stuff, with an open mind (and an open wallet) I visited my local Club Champion fitter. It is only 20 minutes from my house and after searching and visiting a few shops CC hands down has the largest and widest selection of heads and shafts, at least in my area. The upside of CC is that they are completely neutral as fitters, not once in my iron or driver fitting did I feel my fitter was pushing me in a direction or into a specific brand. We wanted to find the best numbers on the Trackman and that is exactly what we did.

The process of being fit for irons is the same as buying clothes. At 5'7 and a few extra pounds, nothing off the rack fits me (or my game). The downside to this is purely economic. A good fitter and clubmaker can fit anything to me but with such specific needs, it means I almost have to exclusively buy new clubs.

The downside is clear, it can't be avoided. The cost is an issue for most people. I really had to scrounge some pennies together to make this happen. What keeps the cost up is that CC doesn't order your clubs through OEM's, instead, they receive a stock set of clubs and reverse engineer them to fit their specs. CC claims they have higher QC and standards that factories in China can't match. This is a pretty subjective claim and may be difficult to quantify.

At the end of the day, the Trackman doesn't lie. It's incredible to see your current gamers compared to the right head and shaft combo and how the same swingspeed delivers drastic differences in ball speed, carry, launch, and spin. I gained 12 MPH of ballspeed by dropping length and shaft flex and weight with the Steelfibers. I just finished a driver fitting and I dropped 1.5 inches off the shaft, dropped a flex, and picked up 31 yards of carry.

If you can swallow the cost, go see what they can offer you.

Excellent thoughts! We’ve seen some good content coming from other folks, and some THP content as well talking to the folks at club champion. The certainly can get you fit whatever your needs are.

Excellent thoughts! We’ve seen some good content coming from other folks, and some THP content as well talking to the folks at club champion. The certainly can get you fit whatever your needs are.

I just replied to a similiar thread here but my experiences were solid and I will go back for other clubs, when I can afford them!

The biggest thing for me was establishing good communication with my fitter and the reality of having 10+ year old clubs. I wasn't splitting hairs over Trackman figures, it was night and day difference. I never outright said I was ready to buy but perhaps my enthusiasm and body language said I was in the market.

Popped in to see my fitter who told me based on what I paid for the driver and iron fitting he’d toss in a putter and longgame on the House. We looked at a putter and after analyzing 9 putters we adjusted my existing putter and that outdid all the ones I tested. It’s nice to be able to trust a fitter whose primary interest is the best result, even if it means not making a sale.

I have scheduled a fitting for Monday for my irons. Excited to see what I get fitted for.

Back