Your Perfect Practice Session

Scenario 1:
Range time: 45 minutes, usually working from the shorter clubs to the longer clubs
Short game: 45 minutes, chips, pitches, bunker game, etc
Putting: 30 minutes; clock drill and long, lag putts

Scenario 2 (usually pre-round):
Putting: 20 minutes; enough to get the speed down for the day
Range Time: 15 minutes (just enough to get loose with a focus on driver)
Short game: 25 minutes, focusing mainly on vanilla, straight-forward shots

All depends on what I'm working on.

If practicing I'm making sure my swing is working or working through any issues. I'm usually ending with approach shots 100yds and in.

Putting its just engraining my stroke so it's as automatic as it can be. Total time can be 45min - 2hours

Before a round usually 30-45 minutes or so. Usually a few balls to warm up/get loose, then chipping and putting until tee time.

In scenario 1, I'll probably spend 40 minutes on the range. Most of it will be with irons, and full swings. Good practice, pick a new target, go through pre-shot routine kind of practice. But the first 10 minutes of range time is basically just 75% swings with the 7 iron to get loose. Nothing magical, no thoughts, just getting loose. I'll follow that up with about 50 minutes of short game. Primarily 10-30 yards (because that is what I encounter on the course a lot). Then I'll have 10 minutes of 'elective' time, either bunker play or greenside chipping. I end with 20 minutes of putting, mostly an around the world/ladder drill kind of hybrid drill I do. I want all 20 minutes, because I am trying to make a set number of putts in a row doing it, so I have to give myself time to start over.

Scenario 2 - 30 minutes of 10-30 yard pitch work, 30 minutes of putting (still the same putting drill as scenario 1).

~Rock

In both scenarios, 60 - 70 % of the allotted time on short game and putting. At the range, would be looking for solid contact and tempo that is consistent.

JM

In a perfect world I'd have FlightScope on the range with me and someone to watch it and give me verbal feedback on the numbers.

1 - You've got two hours to burn.
In this scenario I'd spend a full hour on the range, hitting my entire bag, and hopefully documenting everything along the way!
Then I'd spend a half an hour on short game, chipping, pitching, and bunker practice.
Then finish up with a half an hour on the putting green.

2 - You've got one hour to burn.
I would try to keep the entire routine the same, just change the timing, 30 min range, 15 min short and 15 min putt

Two hour session -
Start with short game. Bunkers for 20 min, pitch shots for 20 min, chips for 20 min.
Putting - 20-30 min. Start with 8 ft putts from around the hole, then 10-15-20-30-40 ft putts. End with 3 ft clock drill.
Last 30 min - range. Start with wedges, work up the bag, a few with the even number irons, then hybrid, 3w, Driver (at least 20 drives). I try to think about what drives I need on the courses' holes, visualizing every tee shot.
End with 10 wedges to the (roughly) 90 yd flag.

One hour session -
Putting for 20 min, pitch/chips for 20 min.
wedges for 10 min, 9 iron for 5 min and driver for 10 swings.

OR

Chips and pitches for the entire hour, with some bunker play included. Depends on how I feel.

If I had 2 hours I would spend the 45 mins hitting balls at the range. Spending about 5 mins with each club depending on how I'm hitting said club. Then I would spend 20 mins chipping and 25 mins on sand shots. I would finish up with the last 25 mins on the putting green. Which would leave me 5 mins transition time between range, chipping/sand and putting.

1. 2 hour session: 90 minutes enjoying a good cigar sitting on a comfortable bench under a shade tree watching golfers tee off. then 15 minutes of hitting irons from SW through 6 iron, followed by 15 minutes on the putting green.
2. 1 hour session: Same as above but with 30 minute-sized cigar.

My sore back limits the amount of time I can spend practicing, so 30 minutes is usually it for me.

Practice with a girl named Paige Spiranac! Oh .... you meant golf ... what was I thinking? I don't practice that!

Scenario 1 - Spend the first hour on range going through my bag. The last 15-20 minutes of that first hour I would simulate playing a few of the holes on the golf course (or another golf course in my head). This would allow me to simulate hitting shots for specific holes and not allow myself to get into a rhythm with a specific club. The last hour would be split between short game and putting. Short game would be chipping and pitching to hopefully several different holes with different yardages. If I can, I will also spend time working out a bunker. Putting will be working on putting from different distances around the hole and then finish working on my lag putting (if there is room).

Scenario 2 - A condensed version of #1. Spend about 30 minutes working through the bag and then simulating playing a couple of holes. I would spend the last 30 minutes working on the short game and putting.

Scenario 1: First hour would be on the range. I wouldn't have a strict plan as of I have to club x this many times, and I wouldn't be concerned about getting to every club in the bag. One drill that has really helped me is to take 3 swings feeling like I'm only going 3/4 of the way back and then take 3 regular swings. I usually do that with a 7i. I would do that until I feel good with my tempo and contact. Next, I would move to the driver and work on consistency. Not happy until I can get 3 or 4 good ones consistently. I would finish up with wedges (PW, GW, 54, and 58) with full and partial swings.

Second hour would be on the green--putting, chipping, and from the sand. The majority of that time would be with the putter. Maybe see if I can get my buddy at the clubhouse to partake in a putting challenge to spice things up.

Scenario 2: 30 minutes on the range and 30 minutes with the flatstick.

I would start with the shortest iron and work my way through the bag to the driver, hitting probably 8-10 balls with each.
They work my way back down to the shortest iron, hitting the same amount. After getting back down to the short irons, I'd finish the time between chipping and putting.

Essentially the same as the 2 hours but just work my way up to the driver and then go directly back to the wedges for chipping and then some putting.

1/3 full swing 1/3 chipping and sand 1/3 putting.

Two scenarios;

You're at a facility with a pristine grass range with unlimited fresh balls, a full practice green and a secondary green for chipping and a big old bunker. You also see a friend up at the clubhouse and know of a couple other members with nothing better to do (at your disposal essentially).

How do you spend your time and why?

Good question Dan.

Something that is going to change for me this year for sure. I could tell you in the past I was so obsessed with hitting balls (with a purpose of course) Both scenarios would be hitting balls on the range working on the full swing. Now after spending a lot of time around the chipping green towards the end of this season I've seen how valuable that can be. I'm talking 20 yards and in from various lies. My short game has never been so good as it was while I could still practice it outside.

So this year if I had an hour. I'd spend 45 mins chipping 15 putting. If I had 2 hours I'd spend 45 mins full swing, 45 mins short game and 30 mins putting.

Depends. Off season. All on the range working on technical aspects of my swing. I just did this in Hawaii on Sunday for my layover️. 2 hours worth.

Come spring 40% target practice. Most of it 150 yards in. 60% short game. 30 yards and in. No technical work during the golf season. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it the next 12 months. Playing golf swing all last year was a mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40% short game, 40% putting, 20% hitting balls , irons fairways hybrid driver.

I need to spend more time putting, for a 1 hour session I would go 20 minutes putting, 15 minutes short/chipping, 15 minutes on irons and 15 minutes on woods, for a 2 hour session I would double the times...I know....I know it is more than one and two hours total but how do you expect to be ready if you make the granddaddy without a little extra effort!!!!!

2 Hours practicing,
- Warm up 20 min. (hey - it takes longer as you get older)
- Full swing, until I start to feel tired.
- Split the rest of the time between short game and putting.

1 Hour.
- Warm up faster.
- Hit full shots until I fixed what was not working well last time out.
- Split the rest of the time between short game and putting.

No matter how much time:
- Practice like I am being paid by the hour to do it. No rush, no hurry.
- Practice for a reason - gotta have a goal, a target, and a reason.
- Quit when you get tired. Tired swings = Bad Swings. Bad Swings = Bad Habits.

Any "practice session" that doesn't devolve into 150 driver swings in 30 minutes is a victory :faceplam:

1 hour: I'll spend 45-60 minutes at the short game area and the remaining time goofing off at the bar.

I've never spent two hours on practice, but I'd be in the bunker for some of it.

Two scenarios;

You're at a facility with a pristine grass range with unlimited fresh balls, a full practice green and a secondary green for chipping and a big old bunker. You also see a friend up at the clubhouse and know of a couple other members with nothing better to do (at your disposal essentially).

How do you spend your time and why?

1 - I'm going target practicing. I'm spending 75 mins hitting full approach shots with my 9, 8, and 6 irons working on fixing my primary swing flaw, and I'll hit about 25 driver shots to an imaginary fairway. Then I'll go to the chipping green for about 25 mins, then to the putting green and lag putt for the rest of the time. Why? My biggest weakness is getting the ball to the green, not once I get there.

2 - One hour? I'll hit the bunker and putting green. One hour is a why bother with the full swing. It's a small bucket of balls and about 1/4 of them are warm up. So I don't often get time to practice bunker work, and 30 mins is a good set in the bunker, and then hit the putting green for some short putts and lag putting.

I'll snag the friends to take some video.

Seriously, I've seen people at driving ranges bang out 300 balls in the time it takes me to hit 100.

#1. 2 hours of hitting full lob wedge, gap wedge, 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron at targets. Trying to split uprights, Tom Watson style.

#2. 1 hour of hitting sand wedge, pitching wedge, 8 iron, 6 iron. Same deal.

I'm putting major work in on my swing this year. I will not settle for anything but a plus cap by the end of the season. I'm averaging a thousand balls a week right now and that's while working 2 part time jobs and practicing in the freezing cold. I am keeping the rust off as far as my touch goes, putting and chipping to start, sometimes a shag bag at the short range. (60-90 yards) I will practice differently when it warms up but IMO the winter season is the time to make your move as far as a swing change or tweaks go. Tournament season is for playing the game, the off season is for making the game easier.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Back