Practice short game w your "gamer" balls?

Spivey

Reaction score
Handicap
7.6 GHIN
I was listening to Michael Breed on The Golf Fix this am. He mentioned to use "your usual ball" when practicing short game shots, specifically chip shots.
Curious as to who actually does this.

I do not. I use the balls available at the practice area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't any balls available at the practice areas I use so I always use my gamer balls. I can lose a dozen of balls in a round or two why not have a dozen in the shag bag for short game practice?

I'm always just pulling the balls out of my bag and dropping them right next to the practice green, I think the only time I don't is when it's bunker practice and I grab a bag of range balls.

With a new short game practice range/area being finalized and ready for use next season, my guess is from now on I'll be using the range balls from now on. Unless it's pre/post round on the smaller greens.

Really depends on what I'm working on. If I'm working on greenside chipping I keep 3 beat up gamers in my bag for practice, anything else I will use range balls.

I do both, at the range I'll practice some short game with range balls. Prior to playing, I practice with my gamers.

Practice short game w your "gamer" balls?

I always do. Not sure why you wouldn't honestly. Putting and chipping practice is always done with balls I will be using, or else you're really wasting your practice time grooving a feel that won't be matched on the course IMO. I guess I thought everyone did this

I usually have a sleeve going of my current gamers while chipping around... this way I can get used to the spin/ rollout/ feel etc.

I like to use my gamers when chipping/pitching/putting.

I tend to use my own as mush as possible when it makes sense.

I keep a few used balls in my bag for my short game practice.

I was listening to Michael Breed on The Golf Fix this am. He mentioned to use "your usual ball" when practicing short game s***s, specifically chip shots.

I use what I play. I keep the scuffed balls for this reason.

Depends on how busy the short game area is. I pull golf balls out after the round for practicing, and if it makes sense, I'll pitch/chip with my gamer balls.

Yes. I keep one of those clear sleeves filled with my gamers. It holds about twenty balls. It made a big difference for me when I started doing this, simply because the ball reacted similarly on shots. Kind of helped me learn how to play certain shots and be somewhat confident I could pull it off on the course.

JM

Yes, typically I do. Especially chipping and putting.

Yea chipping around the green on putting on the green I use my gamers.

I learned from O'Carroll.

All my "gamer" balls that I finish a round with, but have slight scuffs or damage or I just deem them unplayable go in my shag bag. Most of the courses I play and practice at don't provide balls so I use these for my short game practice. If I am at a course that provides them I still use my balls for ship shots and pitches, but I will use the practice balls for bunker shots.

(This is only for practice sessions - if I go to a nice course for a round that provides balls I use there balls, except on the putting green)

How hard is everyone chipping that they need to worry abou using their own balls?

I always use my own balls when practicing short game

I was listening to Michael Breed on The Golf Fix this am. He mentioned to use "your usual ball" when practicing short game shots, specifically chip shots.

I do it every time.
I want to know how the ball will react to the club face. After a round, I deposit any used balls in my bucket in the garage. I open up a new sleeve before the round and the same happens. It accumulates pretty fast and I am normally working on my short game once a week, so I can bring my small bucket of balls with me.

Always use my usual ball. I'm not sure why you wouldn't. I would want to get the action from my ball that I would get during a round.

I do it every time.
I want to know how the ball will react to the club face. After a round, I deposit any used balls in my bucket in the garage. I open up a new sleeve before the round and the same happens. It accumulates pretty fast and I am normally working on my short game once a week, so I can bring my small bucket of balls with me.

Well, you saw first hand the quality of ball I play with. I lose too many to have many used gamer balls.

Appreciate all the responses!!

I rarely use practice range balls for chipping and putting. I want to practice this shots with a ball I would play so I know how they will react,

Only when practicing hop n stop type shots. Practice balls aren't really soft enough.

My range uses refurbed real balls so I just use those, green side though I always use 'gamer balls' to practice.

Back