THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Question for the day...

What are you doing to sway the vote in your favor for the Captain pick?

Practicing as much as I can. I had to move rooms in my house because there ruts in the carpet! I am trying to be as active on the forum as I can be. As of late, I have been a little slow and I hope to pick it up. If I knew that bribery would work, but it will not because of the integrity of the captains, there sure would be some coming from my corner!

Question for the day...

Just being active and practicing as much as I can given the conditions.

Question for the day...

My Captain knows exactly what I bring to the table, my personality, my game, and my passion.
I want to be on the team, and would be honored to represent him and the rest of the team.
If he feels I can help the team achieve victory awesome, If not I support his decision 100% and will support the team in any manner I can.

Question for the day...

Tons of practice, both indoor and out. Securing new equipment to ensure I'm battle ready. Trying (keyword trying) to be active both in and outside of this thread.

Also, Captain, be on the lookout for a pound of 20's to be in your mailbox in the next day or so.

Question for the day...

Played outdoors yesterday in 40 degree weather, with a current member of Team MI, another potential MI hopeful, and an Ohio team hopeful. Since I have only played one time with my captain, and didn't play my best, trying to show him and others what I can do and bring to the table to help the team.

Also have been posting more in other parts of the forum, staying active in this thread, and practicing a lot.

Even if I don't end up making the team, its still a win as I've gotten to become friends with other THP'ers and become more involved.

1 more week and the field will be set, then just a few more months and this great weekend will be upon us. Looking forward to the upcoming months with all of you crazy fellas

With just over a week till captains picks left it sure is quiet in here!!

I have already asked my team members a few questions so now I'm asking those not already on the team...

If you could pick two guys from the remaining hopefuls besides yourself to make the team who would you pick and why?

Let's flip this question around for everyone, because it's Monday so why not.

You have 2 picks for the opposite team...who would you want to see represent the other State in this battle?

My 2? I'll go with Michigan Slice and Wyzyguy. Both have been active in this thread and outside of it, and both have shown a lot of interest and support of their state since the announcement of this event. Not to say others haven't, but I've just noticed these two out of the remaining Michigan hopefuls. Wyzyguy is a rookie and has also dished out some smack talk and would like to see him have the chance to back it up, even if it doesn't end well for them :alien:. MS is a vet of the site and has been to some events before (including a decently big event), and is probably one of the best guys around to share a round of golf and a beer with.

Question for the day...

The only thing that I can control, which is to be active and stay positive. I don't envy 441's and jdtox's decision one bit.

My 2 opposite team picks? Not a real hard decision here since there aren't many left...

1: Michigan Sluce!!!!! My main man from up north. I actually think he and I are fairly similar personality wise and I think given the chance to sit down and have some beers or whiskey together, we would end up enjoying each others company.....after a while. Not to mention I see how much he really wants in and probably deserves it considering his presence all over THP.

2: tough call. I think I'd go with Lions81. He seems pretty active in a few other threads and hopefully planning on getting him and wyzyguy down to Firestone at some point this year. Should be a fun time.

The Michigan contingent is not a very deep pool but most of the guys seem like dudes I'd like to get to know better on the course, even though Slice and I may try and one up each other in the gamesmanship department. Good luck to everyone up there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two from the opposite team is tough to say. I would have to say the first person would be Stribs. Michigans lowest cap and it would be fun to play him in a match. And then of course, Michigan Slice would be my second pick. He has been everything this event needs in a THPer. Plus he has been talking a lot of garbage behind the scenes so thats a match i want really bad

Since we the question was asked I'll play along.

My two picks would be...

1. MichiganSlice - if you haven't had the opportunity to golf with this guy it's a must. His rash personality may seem to come off as rude, but it absolutely the opposite. I've seen his game transform over the years and feel he would be a great teammate.

2. Wyzyguy - He has been hitting the practice hard all winter and has been very active in this thread. Would like to see more outside and visiting other threads though.

Since we the question was asked I'll play along.

My two picks would be...

1. MichiganSlice - if you haven't had the opportunity to golf with this guy it's a must. His rash personality may seem to come off as rude, but it absolutely the opposite. I've seen his game transform over the years and feel he would be a great teammate.

2. Wyzyguy - He has been hitting the practice hard all winter and has been very active in this thread. Would like to see more outside and visiting other threads though.
Its funny how the internet is like that. What you may think is one way on the internet is completely off base. And I would agree about his game. He can talk all the high numbers he wants, he is going low and it will be soon. If he gets the tee game figured out no one is going to want to play him

2 Picks from the Opposite Team is Hard since I have only played with 1 guy from Ohio so far. Will base my other picks off internet impressions which is a dangerous game and obviously is somewhat just speculation on my part.

1. Bullfrog. Have played him twice, both times with temperatures in the 30s or 40s. Shows his passion for the game to play in conditions like that. A solid player who works really hard on his game and is fun to play with. Think match play is a format he would do very well in.

2. 3 way tie between Canadan, PhillyV, and PKorf.

Canadan. Have really enjoyed Dan's reviews for the site and based on everything I hear he is a ridiculously good player. I love playing with/against better players than me.

Philly V and I seem to share similar golf strategies, he is setting up an awesome THP outing in the spring and even inviting us MI folk, and my guess is he is a pretty low hdcp as well and seems like he'd be a fun guy to play with/against.

Pkorf, someone has to help #gunnerlong actually find the fairway and green right?? He is clearly taking this event seriously, is practicing a lot, and made an awesome gesture inviting people to play an exclusive course. My guess/hunch is he is very different in person than maybe some view him as online.

Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), and your shots look like this:

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

You are hitting the shot for your team, and have to hit first, before your opponent. Your opponent seems to be a decent chipper, not great, but not bad.
For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you try to pull off the amazing shot and get it within a few feet? Knowing if you leave it short you dump it in the bunker and likely lose?

Do you play it a little safer and try to hit a good shot/rather than great, and give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you hit it way past the pin towards the back of the green, making sure you are absolutely on the green even if its a 30 footer?
Hey there! Are you talking about something like this scenario?

fa55b37444a01b7cea2e494230771448.jpg

Talk about irony!

BTW, what shot did you try and play and what was the outcome? Were you happy with it?

Hey there! Are you talking about something like this scenario?

fa55b37444a01b7cea2e494230771448.jpg

Talk about irony!

BTW, what shot did you try and play and what was the outcome? Were you happy with it?

Haha, was waiting for you to post that. What a perfect setup. Yes that is me yesterday, short sided, having to hit over a bunker with a green running completely away from me (more so than this picture shows). And those 2 balls are my opponents with short birdie putts, not a good scenario.

I tried to hit a medium height spinner that was just short of the pin and would check. Wanted to make par and make my opponents have to convert their birdies.

I hit a pretty good shot (in my opinion) that hit just short of the pin but then rolled out to about 10 feet. Frozen greens did not exactly help the ball spin. I then missed the putt. ugh.

100% I stick with my original answer when I asked this question to the thread. Had it been 18 in a tied match in alternate shot as I theoretically asked, I'd have hit the exact same shot and given my partner a good chance to make the putt.

Interesting thought for the day.

JB mentioned a curveball, have we already seen it? Or is it still to come? Hmmm......

From what I can tell, Boulder creek looks like a very challenging course, as team hopefuls (and those that are already in) making plans to play as many tough courses as they can to prepare for Boulder?

From what I can tell, Boulder creek looks like a very challenging course, as team hopefuls (and those that are already in) making plans to play as many tough courses as they can to prepare for Boulder?

I'm just planning on playing Boulder itself a lot

I'm just planning on playing Boulder itself a lot
I am jealous just looking on line I love that course already

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have played some tough courses and my score stays pretty much the same. Playing tougher courses might help some attain and maintain a "Traveling Handicap" so I think those in and hoping to be in the event should look to push their comfort level in course selection.
I think my handicap travels very well, and have no reason to think Boulder Creek will be a challenge so great that my handicap couldn't be played to.

With just over a week till captains picks left it sure is quiet in here!!

I have already asked my team members a few questions so now I'm asking those not already on the team...

If you could pick two guys from the remaining hopefuls besides yourself to make the team who would you pick and why?
1: Anyone other than Michigan Slice!

There you go buddy. Now you're a "lock" to get in.

2: Stribs cause I hear the man's got game.

So for all those following along yesterday with Alt Shot and Best Ball, how will you prep for these formats. As you can see several matches quickly changed when the teams got to Alt Shot. It is by far one of the most fun and nerve racking formats.

After you hit a bad shot, do you apologize to your partner or provide motivation?

Several times yesterday Dhartman and I put the other in positions we probably weren't the most comfortable. Each time we ended up pulling out the shot.

So for all those following along yesterday with Alt Shot and Best Ball, how will you prep for these formats. As you can see several matches quickly changed when the teams got to Alt Shot. It is by far one of the most fun and nerve racking formats.

After you hit a bad shot, do you apologize to your partner or provide motivation?

Several times yesterday Dhartman and I put the other in positions we probably weren't the most comfortable. Each time we ended up pulling out the shot.

It's definitely the format that will really test the kind of golfer/person you are. You have to be patient and understanding that both you and your partner are going to hit bad shots. Just have to have the mindset to forget it and move on and do the best with the shot in front of you. Nothing else you can really do. I'm not going to be one to apologize for a bad shot, and don't want a potential partner to be either. Just have fun, play relaxed, and golf your ball.

One is still working hard on his game. Rumors are the other one has already mailed in the man card.

Hey now. That card is still intact sir. Consider yourself and your squad lucky that I won't be there!

Back