Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I gained about 10 yards a club from JPX-850 Forged with about 20% less effort which helped my accuracy.

Thanks for the feedback guys. When I hit them last weekend, I just thought to myself "it can't possibly be this good"....

Thanks for the feedback guys. When I hit them last weekend, I just thought to myself "it can't possibly be this good"....

I thought the same thing, but they really are that good!

So I am packing up my golf bag for my round on Sunday with a few THPers and grabbed these irons and was thinking back to the first time I was organizing the bag while standing outside the Hideaway and seeing them sitting there as I walked outside on the back of a cart.

These irons speak to me. There are a ton of great irons on the market now and most brands have something that is pretty awesome. I have yet to try a set that offers the total package in this sized package that the Apex CF 16 does though. Distance, feel, forgiveness and freaking looks that make me want to lay them down on my pillow and wake up with ill thoughts.

I have played my best golf in years since bagging these, and it certainly doesnt have to do with being injury free or swing changes. It has to do with the fact that I miss, and dont get penalized as much, yet still have the opportunity to have utmost confidence in the looks, sound and feel of these to do anything on the course with them.

Another round coming Sunday and I am freaking excited.

I'm really excited to get mine out for their first complete rounds next week (3), really looking forward to the results of hitting them in nice weather.

JB, it's funny how much these give me confidence and I have only played one sim round with them and a few fitting sessions. I had originally bought the Cobra Forged Tec thinking I would play them all season but these were stuck in the back of my mind and I couldn't get over it. These are absolutely beautiful irons. I'm positive my iron game is going to be good this year just because of the confidence factor. This is the most excited I've been about starting a new season in a long time, and these are a big part of it.

Congrats and I'm looking forward to your feedback! Getting fit made a huge difference for me and it's only going to get better. Good luck!

My fitter is down in AZ playing some golf next week so I will have to wait til the following week to go back and finish up. I want to get out and play but i don't want to cheat on my new clubs...I have been in a 6 year relationship with my '09 Burners and have mentally moved on so I want nothing to do with them anymore.:act-up:

My fitter is down in AZ playing some golf next week so I will have to wait til the following week to go back and finish up. I want to get out and play but i don't want to cheat on my new clubs...I have been in a 6 year relationship with my '09 Burners and have mentally moved on so I want nothing to do with them anymore.:act-up:

Haha the waiting always sucks but it'll be so worth it

For those that have these....I know the irons are a couple degrees stronger. Do you see the same trajectory as you did with your previous irons? So does say a 7 iron still have the same height as your previous? I'd think it should be a tad lower.... But hitting these at the range the other day... I felt like it actually flew higher and longer...which I wasn't expecting.

You've hit my OG Apex, so meet me at the dome this weekend for some time with the CFs. They do launch higher than the original version, for me.

These 2016 Apex CF's are so good and so well praised that it's really going to put the pressure on Callaway's R&D for future releases of clubs any better. But then again, they say there is always room for improvement (and price increases):bashful:

I thought the same thing about the original Apex irons until I hit these. For me, they are clearly better, which is saying a lot.

I was able to hit the simulator over lunch and these did not disappoint. I do have a slight concern though and it's nothing to do with the club head. It may be the fact that I haven't swung a club in a couple of weeks but I could feel fatigue in my back and elbow about halfway through the session. I'm hoping that the C-tapers aren't to stiff for me. Time will tell and it could very well be from not hitting much lately. I realize that it was a simulator but the dispersion I was getting was fantastic. I have not really seen an increase in distance, again I'm not sure if this has anything to do with not being able to load the shafts more or maybe I am just topped out for my swing. Overall it was a great session and I absolutely cannot wait to get these out again.

And all of the talk about forgiveness with these is absolutely legit. I hit some pretty bad shots that normally would have ended up 5-10 yards shorter and further offline than what I got today. Love it!

if all works out i'll be taking some swipes with these this weekend. different setup than what i'm gaming, so won't be apples to apples. but i'd like to know whether i love these as much as i did the first go-round, or whether i just need to stick with my gamers.

Haven't really given these a fair chance but these or the Hogan PTX irons are definitely in my future. Have not hit either but love their looks!

Really wantna set of these....they are fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any time with the set sand wedge?

Only a few swings. For those that like full swings, it could be the ticket.

Only a few swings. For those that like full swings, it could be the ticket.

That's exactly my thought. I may have my own "interesting" bag set up in mind. I wouldn't take a club out though I would just bag 15 clubs haha i love all 14 too much to take one out

Looking forward to that setup review

Looking forward to that setup review

Gotta get my hands on a set sand wedge first but if I do I will for sure put my thoughts out there

I love the set SW, but then I usually only use it for full swings the PM 60 handles all the up close work. Gapping wise it works out well with the PW at 45, AW at 50' and SW at 55 leaving a 5* gap all the way through the PM 60. It also works well on the longer bunker shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With how good/versatile the md3's are I feel like it would leave you looking for a little bit more. No experience with the set SW but my thoughts

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like it, I mostly use it for 3/4 to full swings and very rarely use it for any "specialty" type shots. That is what the PM Grind is for. If you use SW for full swings a good percentage of the time like I do than I would recommend it. If you like opening that club up or using it for more delicate pitch/chip shots I think you would be better served sticking with the MD3.

Having a 56* MD3 at home I really debated on whether to pull the trigger on the set SW, but when I thought about how I use that club I went with the set SW. Side benefit is my Gauntlet MD3 stays in pristine condition :)

$0.02 from the cheap seats.

So these clubs....

What do I say about them? Coming from the Apex, and then the XR Pros, I really think this is a great combination of the two of them. Forgiveness, feel, and distance. Paired with the Recoil 110s, this is probably the best iron I have ever hit. When I put a decent swing on them, I am rewarded, but I am certainly still trying to work off the winter rust. I think once I get dialed in I am going to love these things.

Back