Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to make that decision and went flat screen. Prices came down and was able to add two other monitors.

So we're in the process of finalizing our basement project with our contractor. I'm stoked! We're sinking some serious cash into the lower level and can't figure out if I want a projector/screen or flat screen.

Things just running through my head...

The flat screen at 80" will cost some serious coin. Probably in the tune of $3k-$5k. At that price I may as well get a projector/screen setup.

If I go this route I'm looking at the higher end Epson or the JVC 4K Home Theater Projector and would setup the screen at either 80" or 94". I'm wrestling with whether 4K res would be necessary at this size? Right now I'm browsing various screen innovation models that could compliment the projector.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts/feedback to help my decision.
Forget the screen/projector and go display. Not even close really, especially if you were to spend the money needed to get somewhat close (somewhat is not really close), it would be at least twice what your considering for the 80". For projector alone.

Screens...now that can can be a miss as well. Very subjective and differences are actually greater than one would think. Especially when people are expecting something they don't get when the image shows up quite different.

Have fun!

Forget the screen/projector and go display. Not even close really, especially if you were to spend the money needed to get somewhat close (somewhat is not really close), it would be at least twice what your considering for the 80". For projector alone.

Screens...now that can can be a miss as well. Very subjective and differences are actually greater than one would think. Especially when people are expecting something they don't get when the image shows up quite different.

Have fun!

Sounds like you have experience in this!

So what would you say is the biggest difference between a high end display and projector? I know some projectors can go as high as $20k which is well out of my budget.

Here's the projector I was considering.
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Ci...id=1455893552&sr=8-4&keywords=epson+projector

The specs are nice and has been receiving great reviews. Just unsure of what difference I will see when comparing this to a high end display. Feel free and school me.

Sounds like you have experience in this!

So what would you say is the biggest difference between a high end display and projector? I know some projectors can go as high as $20k which is well out of my budget.

Here's the projector I was considering.
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Home-Ci...id=1455893552&sr=8-4&keywords=epson+projector

The specs are nice and has been receiving great reviews. Just unsure of what difference I will see when comparing this to a high end display. Feel free and school me.
Will take a look and PM you later this evening. Shoot me any and all questions/model numbers your interested in. Display-Screen-Projector-prewire...whatever and I will give you feedback.

just picked up a 40" vizio E series. seems like a solid set at a good price. should be night and day from the ancient olevia that it is replacing

picked the E series up yesterday and got it set up last night. pretty impressed with it so far, especially at that price point.

I'm in search of an older android phone (Galaxy s3 or something) or an older iPhone.

Any idea where to score one for cheap? Won't be activating it for service.

I'm in search of an older android phone (Galaxy s3 or something) or an older iPhone.

I dont other than like Craigslist, but I am interested in hearing about your idea.

I dont other than like Craigslist, but I am interested in hearing about your idea.
Just something that I was thinking of...

Getting an older android phone, root it, then use a 3rd party launcher to set up some cool widgets and apps and chrome cast to a small computer monitor in the kitchen or at the shops and use it as a media hub/news ticker, calendar, reminder, etc.

Thought it would be cool to have it setup like that, and be able to stream news content in the morning or have a live calendar with popups etc.

If it's an old android phone, the root access would basically make possibilities endless.

Just something that I was thinking of...

Getting an older android phone, root it, then use a 3rd party launcher to set up some cool widgets and apps and chrome cast to a small computer monitor in the kitchen or at the shops and use it as a media hub/news ticker, calendar, reminder, etc.

Thought it would be cool to have it setup like that, and be able to stream news content in the morning or have a live calendar with popups etc.

If it's an old android phone, the root access would basically make possibilities endless.

Very cool. Out of curiosity, wouldnt it be cheaper to do this with one of those crazy cheap tablets?

Very cool. Out of curiosity, wouldnt it be cheaper to do this with one of those crazy cheap tablets?

Perhaps, but some of those cheaper android tablets are just junk and lack the processing of what phones like the S3 or whatnot would have.

Also, I've done very little research in to this.

i may have a iphone5 laying around that's been factory defaulted, etc

Have an S3...still need one?

My desire for the Surface Pro is back in serious ponder mode. My 9 year old HP Laptop is really starting to die and in a major way.

My desire for the Surface Pro is back in serious ponder mode. My 9 year old HP Laptop is really starting to die and in a major way.

If I wasnt entrenched in OSX I would be rocking a Surface. It's legit the best package ive seen next to the new Dell XPS 13.

If I wasnt entrenched in OSX I would be rocking a Surface. It's legit the best package ive seen next to the new Dell XPS 13.

Yeah, you know what is funny I had not even considered the Surface Pro till I walked into Best Buy with the wife to get her a new camera and I started checking them out and chatted with the rep. It looked great and was so damn fast.

Using the Surface at the Kickoff Classic to setup Golf Gamebook sold me on it.

I want one.

Using the Surface at the Kickoff Classic to setup Golf Gamebook sold me on it.

I want one.
When my laptop dies I'm moving to a surface pro. Have a surface RT right now and really enjoy it.

When my laptop dies I'm moving to a surface pro. Have a surface RT right now and really enjoy it.

I'm the same way.

Need to find out if the Surface Pro could handle the graphics of Zwift.

My old HP losing a lot of steam and I am in serious ponder mode. I have to do the research about the 3 vs the 4 and find out if the difference justifies the money.

I'm the same way.

Need to find out if the Surface Pro could handle the graphics of Zwift.

I dont use Zwift, but I have done pretty intensive video editing on the machine.

My old HP losing a lot of steam and I am in serious ponder mode. I have to do the research about the 3 vs the 4 and find out if the difference justifies the money.

It doesnt.

I dont use Zwift, but I have done pretty intensive video editing on the machine.

It doesnt.
That's kinda what I thought. The 3 can be had for a good price might just have to spend the tax return on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back