This / These are the Ones! (Or when is Enough Hoing Enough)

Johnny Hack

Proud To Have Served
Reaction score
At the last meeting of Club Ho's Anonymous;

Hi, my name is Johnny Hack and I am a Club Ho

(Group responds) Hi Johnny

I am here to ask the question of when is enough Ho'ing enough?

As I look back upon my golfing life (40+ years) other than complete changes in Technology (I have lived through Persimmon and Blades only, Metal Woods and first generation cast cavity backs, and the current Titanium Oversized Driver and strongly lofted iron sets), as my game progressed over the years, and I reached what would be a fairly stable Handicap level (mid to lower single digit for me) and while I do appreciate what technology has done for me over the last 10 years or so as I continue to age and pay the price for how I treated my body when I was "Sports Active" when I was younger, I have noticed that my yardages are for me about maxed out and forgiveness across the club faces is also probably at its peak as well, thus the question I have stated above "when is enough Ho'ing enough?"

I am like most and would love to find that magic 10 yards, or the irons that allow me to stuff it tighter to the hole even when not struck perfectly, but at some point don't we have to become satisfied with our game and just focus on "Playing Golf"

Thanks to you here at this meeting of Club Ho's Anonymous and I will surrender the floor for your responses!

Personally I'm not chasing numbers or distance. I like shiny & new so that in turn is my downfall. I also have an appreciation for putters & always looking to add one.

I like shiny and new things especially drivers. I don't necessarily look for more distance although I will take it. I look for something I can hit, reacts in a way I like and allows me to bring my dispersion in. With irons I have changed very couple years lately to have something new. I have found the threshold of maxing the club ho'ing so for I say it's never enough

I am like most and would love to find that magic 10 yards, or the irons that allow me to stuff it tighter to the hole even when not struck perfectly, but at some point don't we have to become satisfied with our game and just focus on "Playing Golf"
Johnny, the answer to your question is YES! I've also been playing for 40+ years and FINALLY came to that conclusion last year. So I decided to quit pursuing the quest for the magic club/clubs that will take my game to the next level and actually work on my game - what a concept - and it works!!!

Personally I'm not chasing numbers or distance. I like shiny & new so that in turn is my downfall. I also have an appreciation for putters & always looking to add one.

I am with you there. I have gotten rid of clubs I love just because I want the new shiny toy.

Just picked up my 6th set of irons. I have several drivers, hybrids and enough putters to supply a third of the Tour. Not sure about this Ho'ing you speak of...

Sometimes it's hard to say no lol, that gratification you can only get from buying a new club is amazing until I go to the range or the course only to find I still have the same old crappy swing and the disappointment sits back in. I have remained abstinent from buying new clubs for a few 24 hours now and spent that money on lessons and I'm a better golfer for it. Lol I think we need a 12 step program for golf sometimes lol.

I made a promise in another thread that I would not buy a club for a whole year after listing all the clubs I bought in 2014. I can already see a relapse coming

Shiny is fun, I love shiny.

First of all, I am participating I the Maryland contest of " who is the biggest club ho"!!! I like trying the new tech whenever I can. I'm been fortunate enough to sell quite a few clubs which keeps the actual cost down but still, it there!! I love looking forward to the new magic club even though I know there are no magic clubs that will allow me to play I think I can (in my head). Happiness, to me, is having something to look forward to and buying new golf clubs and actually playing golf fill that requirement for me. Why fight it if it is something you can afford and enjoy at the same time???

I love trying new clubs, especially irons and putters. So, I can always expect those to rotate in and out of my bag. But the rest of the bag is likely to stay put, since those are clubs I tend to have a lot more trouble getting used to (especially fairways, I'm still regretting getting rid of my old 4 wood).

I am a ho, and just recently became one.

I've been playing for 38 years, and only for the last 6 or 7 have I realized Pop was right: "It ain't the arrow; it's the Indian"!

This is the first time in my golfing life I've had the same driver and irons for 5+ years. I've had the wedges for 3 - same goes for the hybrids and 3-wood.

But the putter... Sorry Pop, I know the right putter is out there somewhere!

I am addicted and happy about it, new irons last week, new driver on the way. DO I need them...nope but shiny and new make me happy and why work all these years to not enjoy it now before I get too old to really care.

Also we have the keep the OEM's in Business and support the Economy, that's my present reasoning and I am sticking to it.

Shiny is fun, I love shiny.

You, Canadan and Hawl are the main reasons why I've "gotten" around so much with golf equipment. I'm determined to stick with my irons for a while. Woods and putters.....now that's going to be a different story all together.

I love shiny new things as much as anyone, but the fact is I play about the same with the clubs in my sig, as I do with a second set I use often;
12 yr. old Wilson Deep Red driver
20 yr. old Dunlop T-Line 3 wood
10 yr. old Callaway Heavenwood 3 & 4 hybrids
20 yr. old Tommy Armour 855 irons and wedges.
30 to 40 yr. old various putters.

To me, new technology is all about distance and I found out long ago that I can beat more than half of the guys I play with that out drive me 50 yards by playing as JB has always talk about, to a number on long holes. It is all about accuracy.

I've said it before, the two best players I know, one is pro bowler (EJ Tackett) who has all the latest stuff from Titleist, weighs about 130 lbs. wet, and drives it a mile and has a +2 or +3 handicap. The other is his 50 year old father, who is a good 100lbs. overweight and has no clubs in his bag newer than at least 15 years. He never warms up, never cleans his clubs, has grips dried and split, no head covers for years and he is a 4 handicap. Golf is a funny game.

After 6 bags, I stop hoing .... I promised.

I'm actually in my post-addiction period, where most clubs have stopped changing, except for the driver which I am experimenting on "in the name of science."

We're not pros, so that means we have to spend some time with our new sticks to play with them reasonably well. So if we have more than one recent set, it is to our playing disadvantage if we don't stick to just one set.

That said, who am I to deprive or judge anyone on his idea of fun?

Back