December job loss

BIGBALL

Reaction score
Handicap
Having seen quite a few December job losses, I have a question I am curious to see the answers to. Is it better to get the news before or after Christmas? I say before, so one doesn't go out and buy a bunch gifts, spend a lot of money, etc. My wife says after, so it doesn't ruin Christmas. What do my fellow THPers think?

It just sucks.
Been there. Am a better man for it though.

Don't think there is a "better" answer to that question.

I always have a rule not to fire anyone during the holiday season. I hate doing it period but will wait till tax return time to do it if possible.

Neither one is good. I like the approach of before so people,can better plan their holiday expenses

Traditionally, my employer has done them from February - September but I saw a change this year when even some occurred in December.

My choice (as a manager if given an option) is to always do outside out of the holidays if it must be done.

As someone who has been there, I prefer after. Even if money is spent on Christmas it can still be made later. I would prefer to have a more calm and happy Christmas than worrying constantly during the holidays.

I can speak first hand. I lost a job on Jan 4th, because the guy was too much of a Chicken Sh^& to do it when he originally planned (I later found out it was in November) And what makes it worst, I actually informed him in November I was getting ready to take on a pretty sizable expense in December and just wanted to make sure everything was good on his end (as he had delayed my bonus for 6 months with no explanation)

So I definitely say before, or as soon as you know. Sure it will make the Holidays a little bit of a bummer, but unless someone has been stealing or unethical to you in someway, they don't deserve to be deceived.

I agree that there is no real GOOD answer here, but the "after tax season" would be optimum in my view as well.

JM

I've let my share of folks go over the years. When it's time it is time, there is no good time, good day of the week or time of the day. Yes the holidays can complicate things but if I know someone isn't long for the job I need to pull them back from clients, co-workers, key engagements so at that point they will have figured it out so we might as well just deal with the inevitable.

There is no good time but I think the answer lies in the family it affects. It will always be an issue of concern but the important things are that the family is together and will get by this obstacle and be better for it in the long run. Family support makes all the difference!

Last year we began laying off in the range of 70 employees the first week of January. Big Christmas party at work, spirits were up, and then we started losing people.

A difficult difficult thing to do. Honestly though, it wouldn't have been easier if we had done it before Christmas (in my opinion), it would have had to have been done almost a month before to be able to prevent the spending and extravagance that comes with Christmas.

There is never a good time. You can only hope to stress being prepared for such a situation.

Last year we began laying off in the range of 70 employees the first week of January. Big Christmas party at work, spirits were up, and then we started losing people.

A difficult difficult thing to do. Honestly though, it wouldn't have been easier if we had done it before Christmas (in my opinion), it would have had to have been done almost a month before to be able to prevent the spending and extravagance that comes with Christmas.

There is never a good time. You can only hope to stress being prepared for such a situation.

Excellent points on being prepared. I've always dealt in a consulting or commission based environment and one of the things that I've beat into the heads of anyone who has worked for me is having ample living expenses set aside. Start building to a 3 month reserve and don't stop until you get to at least 3 years. 3 years gives you a ton of flexibility and for talented people you have to believe that the stars will align in your favor long before those funds run out. To do you you need to delay gratification but it's the smart thing to do. When you control your own financial destiny you can sleep better at night.

I lost a job on Christmas Eve before.Remember that phone call and the awful overwhelming feeling of worthlessness

I say when the employer knew ...

If you are anticipating the possibility it could happen, knowing is better than waiting. At least that was true for me.

Been there on both ends and why I am glad to be out of the financial industry.

Last time was a complete shock and came between Christmas and New Years.

Regardless, it really suxs.

I feel for anyone having to deal with this.

I've never been fired, but I've been involved in the firing of others, and we ALWAYS avoided any holiday time of year.

If I were going to be fired, before Christmas would be fine with me. Give me more time to goof off, see family and shop!

I can speak first hand. I lost a job on Jan 4th, because the guy was too much of a Chicken Sh^& to do it when he originally planned (I later found out it was in November) And what makes it worst, I actually informed him in November I was getting ready to take on a pretty sizable expense in December and just wanted to make sure everything was good on his end (as he had delayed my bonus for 6 months with no explanation)

So I definitely say before, or as soon as you know. Sure it will make the Holidays a little bit of a bummer, but unless someone has been stealing or unethical to you in someway, they don't deserve to be deceived.

Now that is a scum bag and as you said chicken sh*t.

I have let people go before and it is no fun, but was done as soon as the decision was made.

If you get paid to be a boss, act like one.

A few years ago I wanted to let a sales guy go 2 weeks before Christmas. He just wasn't performing at all, and repeated talks & improvement plans did nothing. One of the owners asked me to wait until after the holidays, so I did. And then he disappeared for a week before I could pull the trigger, costing us 2 decent sized deals.

This year I had to tell a very qualified candidate with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way that we weren't extending him a job offer after he expressed sincere & repeated interest in working for us. I felt far worse about that situation than I did wanting to fire someone at the holidays.

Back