TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

The answer is YES beags!!!

Do you want me to bring the FlightScope down for you?

If it's not to much trouble. Would love to compare the Black to the M2 on flight scope.

If it's not to much trouble. Would love to compare the Black to the M2 on flight scope.

Looking forward to seeing some number comparisons.

So my swing is improving enough I feel like I can make some comments now.

I purchased the M2 in a 10.5* loft with the Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei CX Blue 60 grams in stiff flex, tipped .5". The shaft was a gamble but I wanted to try it and I was looking to put a higher spinning combo in my bag so coupled with the head and the profile I felt confident.

I loved the looks of the M1, but could not stand the sound and feel and that has been addressed in the M2. If has a very lively feel without feeling hollow or clicky like the M1. It has a nice feel and although I dont know the actual SW, it feels balanced and frames the ball well and looks about neutral at address. The ball feels hot on the face and produces a nice ballflight that seems to climb well with no balooning. My miss is high on the face and towards the heel and even on these misses the club produces useable shots and doesnt sacrifice feel as much as expected. Of course too high and it feel like hot garbage but thats on me.

Misses feel more controlled, but that could be a number of factors. I was hitting some great shots and have about 20 swings in it so far that were manageable. I plan on getting it back out this weekend to see if my swing improvements translate to the course.

Good stuff Fupmaster.

I do miss the success I had with the SLDR. Hopefully this is as good.

I had a love/hate relationship with the SLDR.

This is NOT the SLDR!!

I purchased the M2 in a 10.5* loft with the Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei CX Blue 60 grams in stiff flex, tipped .5". The shaft was a gamble but I wanted to try it and I was looking to put a higher spinning combo in my bag so coupled with the head and the profile I felt confident.

I loved the looks of the M1, but could not stand the sound and feel and that has been addressed in the M2. If has a very lively feel without feeling hollow or clicky like the M1. It has a nice feel and although I dont know the actual SW, it feels balanced and frames the ball well and looks about neutral at address. The ball feels hot on the face and produces a nice ballflight that seems to climb well with no balooning. My miss is high on the face and towards the heel and even on these misses the club produces useable shots and doesnt sacrifice feel as much as expected. Of course too high and it feel like hot garbage but thats on me.

Misses feel more controlled, but that could be a number of factors. I was hitting some great shots and have about 20 swings in it so far that were manageable. I plan on getting it back out this weekend to see if my swing improvements translate to the course.

Do you know with the shaft change and tipping if it was swing weighted?

Awesome shaft choice... that is a really SMOOOOOTH shaft!

I couldn't agree more about the M1.... I could never get it too feel right to me, even with a fitter and trying multiple combinations. The M2 seems to be an all around performer in looks, feel, sound, and performance. How does distance compare to your typical gamer?

Do you know with the shaft change and tipping if it was swing weighted?

I'll take it to the shop and get it checked.

Dang, 10 yards seems like quite a gain for a pro!

And people wonder why some golfers look at it as a replacement for M1. That message is why.

Nothing wrong with it mind you, because I am pro more releases, but it does get confusing for the casual golfer.

Question for each tester.

What is your current driver before M2
Which do you hit higher?

Wasnt able to get out for a full round today, but some range time with the M2 was in order.

First things first, for me, holding a driver in hand tells me immedaitely if I BELIEVE it is something that I will work for my game. Holding the M2 and swinging it, even before I tee'd a ball up, it felt as if it was one I would like. The weight in hand and during the swing is a weight that I really like. Lighter than some others I have gamed more recently, but right in my wheelhouse as to what I prefer in a driver.

Again, the crown design is one I am a huge fan of. There is a lot going on, but still subtle when you setup at address. The white/black contrast is eye pleasing, and for me, I like that it helps me get square to target.

I took a couple swings with my current driver to guage my swing, and was seeing typical results that I get out of it. The M2 has a slightly smaller face (top to bottom) than my current gamer, and is overall a bit more compact it seems, but this was not something that was overly noticeable for me, but something that I did take notice of when switching to the M2.

My driver swing was clicking, and my results off teeing the M2 on the range were solid. Not a super big left/right again that I experience with the SLDR, but a nice tight fade starting just left of center and coming back over to the right a bit. Exactly the shot shape that I depend on for my game. What I did notice was my launch being noticeably higher than other TM drivers I have gamed in the past, as well as a bit higher than my current driver. Ball seemed to get up quickly, and just keep rising. Being that this is a 10.5* head, I was actually quite surprised at the height I was seeing, and I was digging it.

Center of the face shots were solid for me. Great distance, predictable ball flight. Didnt have much for a miss today, a few out off the toe (my typical miss with the driver), but did not see results that were catastrophic. With my past few TM drivers, if I missed off center, it was horrid. The M2 seemed significantly more forgiving lateral on the face, in this case toward the toe.

Im stoked to get this one out on the course. Hard to gauge distance on the range some times, but if the M2 gives me the predictable shots that I have gotten used to off the tee, I think it will be a solid choice for me.
Exactly what I thought you would find with this one. Once you're on the course I would love to get some feedback on the shotshape (since you have an actual target and not a big open range) and trajectory vs being on the range. Has it started to dry out over there, fairways are still a bit soft on this side?

Which do you hit higher?

Callaway 815 set to 10* with Project X LX60 6.0 Handcrafted

And...

Recently picked up a Ping G series 9* Tour 65 X stiff shaft

I hit the M2 higher than the 815, and just a tad higher than the G series. I think the M2 has been producing a really nice and preferred launch for me. (Side note: my M2 is 10.5)

Last edited:
I tried one out today at the PGA SS in Downers Grove. I was underwhelmed with it until the fitter swapped out the stock shaft for the Fujikura Pro 53. Swing speed 97-99, Launch went to 16*, spin numbers at <2800, gained 10-15 yds. carry over my SLDR. I guess it's time to save my pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which do you hit higher?
Cleveland CG Black. Will have some good info for you after we see the FlightScope numbers. :banana:

Exactly what I thought you would find with this one. Once you're on the course I would love to get some feedback on the shotshape (since you have an actual target and not a big open range) and trajectory vs being on the range. Has it started to dry out over there, fairways are still a bit soft on this side?

Sunday it gets put to the test. University Park has a few holes that require pretty accurate drives.

Which do you hit higher?

Razr fit extreme. I hit the M2 higher slightly.

Played this again today in very windy conditions it almost felt wind proof on several holes. Just launched as normal and hung in the air. Roll out was less on holes into the wind but the carry was marginally effected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 18 today. It was still a bit cold but I had a solid round. I hit the M2 much better than I did at the range yesterday. I was 50% for fairways and most of the misses were in the first cut. My home course is starting to dry out and it was nice to see some run out. I was seeing an extra 10-20 yards of roll compared to what I have been getting most of the winter. When I put a good swing on it, I'm getting a nice mid height, penetrating trajectory, which I really like.

The more I play this driver, the more confidence I get on the tee box. I don't have access to a flightscope so I can't really give specific numbers. However, there is something I've been noticing. My typical miss is a big fat slice. I've started to see these misses not going so far right. I have to assume this is due to a little less spin. That's definitely a good thing. Ended up shooting an 86 which is pretty solid for me. I'm playing another round Sunday, and probably hitting the range agiain Saturday. I'll add more feedback then.

Picked up my M2 today and put it through the first range session. Aside from my first swing this thing was point and shoot with a penetrating fade. Nice mid/high flight and from a visual standpoint it's very satisfying.
I was swinging alright tonight and most of my contact was high center with the odd swing towards the heel. You can feel it instantly when you clank one heelside.

2a4249be2269ca7e9fab51d3cf2de91c.jpg

d6c4a383e5c0613166d7ed5450805bb9.jpg

Here's a quick video to show the launch and flight I'm getting. Ignore the swing.

Last edited:

I'm interested in the Tensei shaft in the M2 but am confused about TM's tipping practices. Supposedly, all shafts are tipped 1-inch as standard so if you have a stock shaft tipped .5 inch the shaft will really be tipped 1.5" which definitely affects the way it will play. On TM's custom site, you can have shafts softened 1" so basically installed untipped into the adapter.

Back