Blades Vs Cavity Back

If you Ponder , You will buy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Blades are cool. I played them for a little while and had a really good time. My rationale was that I was going to miss a green with a 5i or 6i anyway, and as long as I could manage my miss at least with the 7i and down I could work and flight the ball. But as life got in the way of golf, I had to move off them and go for a little more forgiveness. Then golf really got put on the back burner, so I went more GI and hated them. Now I'm back to a slightly more "player's iron" profile but with plenty of forgiveness, and they're awesome. I'll always be in the camp of preferring a smaller footprint, but as I move into the 5i I know I need help.

I'll qualify this by saying that using blades or semi blades will not benefit everyone.

I have a few reasons why I use mine.

I like them better than my cavity backs, period. Having the mentality that I will have a harder time with them won't help, so I just play.

For my iron play, the adage "Aim small, miss small" works somehow. It may be the natural evolution of my swing, but I learned to hit irons better with the MP's in my bag.

I might be imagining, but I like using the MP's in thick rough. As I see it, a small stiletto has better chances of cutting through thick rough than a claw hammer.

The few good shots I have with the MP's are much more memorable than the shots I've had with my Slingshots or my Launchers.

You're the only one you need to convince you have the right clubs.

If you need to try and convince others, you probably don't have the right ones.

Whether just plan Kool. Or too lovely to turn down. So far the MP-5's are sitting very pretty in my bag.

I have not found them difficult to hit. Since even though I am a high handicapper I have been playing for over thirty years, I can remember some cavity back irons I played years ago which felt hard to hit than the modern day irons like the MP-5's.

Where I have noticed a huge disadvantage it has been in distance. The Callaway Cup Face is real. My average distance with the XR Pro's 4 iron is 180-190 yards. While I am currently averaging 150-160 yards with the MP-5's.

But I have found that I am hitting the MP -5's significantly straighter.

So for what it is worth. For practice I am 100% in blades MP -5's camp. But for game day I'm going to stick to the Callaway XR Pro's cup face distance enhancers. At fifty I need all the help I can get.

Whether just plan Kool. Or too lovely to turn down. So far the MP-5's are sitting very pretty in my bag.

I have not found them difficult to hit. Since even though I am a high handicapper I have been playing for over thirty years, I can remember some cavity back irons I played years ago which felt hard to hit than the modern day irons like the MP-5's.

Where I have noticed a huge disadvantage it has been in distance. The Callaway Cup Face is real. My average distance with the XR Pro's 4 iron is 180-190 yards. While I am currently averaging 150-160 yards with the MP-5's.

But I have found that I am hitting the MP -5's significantly straighter.

So for what it is worth. For practice I am 100% in blades MP -5's camp. But for game day I'm going to stick to the Callaway XR Pro's cup face distance enhancers. At fifty I need all the help I can get.

Johan,
Genuine question for you.
Why do you play a hybrid?

Johan,
Genuine question for you.
Why do you play a hybrid?
Originally I played a hybrid down to the 6 hybrid, because I could not hit anything above a 7 iron. But now I have turned the corner. Practice twice a day. Regularly scheduled lessons with flightscope, trackman, and video analysis and I'm happily hitting an XR Pro 4 iron 180 to 190 yards.

But I use the 4 hybrid which covers the 200 yard range. The 3 hybrid for the 220 yarders. The 3 wood for 230+, and driver for 250+ .

I switch from more hybrids on top to more wedges on the bottom depending on the course length and the length of the longest par 3's

My swing evolution is currently reaching out to the MP-5's and I'm loving it. But I'm back to probably playing a hybrid down to the 6 hybrid with the highest iron a 7 iron if I had to compete with the Blades. The lost of distance would leave gaps in my set at the top without the generous addition of hybrids.

But I'm hoping that the semi Blades/CB MP-5's with genuine hard work, lessons and practice will Improve my ball striking to the point of hitting a 4 iron 180-200 yard range.

Only time will tell.

What are the shafts on the Callys XR Pro's Vs MP5's?...perhaps the MP5's are stiffer?

What are the shafts on the Callys XR Pro's Vs MP5's?...perhaps the MP5's are stiffer?
KBS Tour V-90 90 grams Stiff plus one inch length standard loft and lie angle XR Pro's. MIDSIZED GRIPS

KBS Tour 120 120 grams Stiff. Standard length, lofts and lie angle. MP-5'S. STANDARD GRIPS

Originally I played a hybrid down to the 6 hybrid, because I could not hit anything above a 7 iron. But now I have turned the corner. Practice twice a day. Regularly scheduled lessons with flightscope, trackman, and video analysis and I'm happily hitting an XR Pro 4 iron 180 to 190 yards.

But I use the 4 hybrid which covers the 200 yard range. The 3 hybrid for the 220 yarders. The 3 wood for 230+, and driver for 250+ .

I switch from more hybrids on top to more wedges on the bottom depending on the course length and the length of the longest par 3's

My swing evolution is currently reaching out to the MP-5's and I'm loving it. But I'm back to probably playing a hybrid down to the 6 hybrid with the highest iron a 7 iron if I had to compete with the Blades. The lost of distance would leave gaps in my set at the top without the generous addition of hybrids.

But I'm hoping that the semi Blades/CB MP-5's with genuine hard work, lessons and practice will Improve my ball striking to the point of hitting a 4 iron 180-200 yard range.

Only time will tell.

No, my question is why do you hit a hybrid? Instead of a 4 iron blade or 4 iron XR Pro? I assume its because it launches higher, is more forgiving and easier to hit? But if the journey to musclebacks is to learn where your miss is and why you miss or you are not seeing any loss in forgiveness, why play the hybrid?

Genuine questions.

KBS Tour V-90 90 grams Stiff plus one inch length standard loft and lie angle XR Pro's. MIDSIZED GRIPS

KBS Tour 120 120 grams Stiff. Standard length, lofts and lie angle. MP-5'S. STANDARD GRIPS

There is a BIG difference in shafts here; the 120 is 6.0fcm and 1 inch less in length (that is two clubs shorter and stiffer)

No, my question is why do you hit a hybrid? Instead of a 4 iron blade or 4 iron XR Pro? I assume its because it launches higher, is more forgiving and easier to hit? But if the journey to musclebacks is to learn where your miss is and why you miss or you are not seeing any loss in forgiveness, why play the hybrid?

Genuine questions.
No not really any of those issues. I do find hybrids easier to hit in general. But my main goal is achieving certain distances to have a 10 to 15 yard gap between my driver and my 58* or 60* wedge.

My only concern with hybrids is the fact that they can launch the ball too high and therefore become difficult to control in windy conditions.

I find that I have significantly greater control on trajectory and distance with and iron versus a hybrid.

Finally my ball striking has so far prevented me from using a 3 iron effectively, which is why I usually reach for a hybrid for any shot outside of 200 yards. The 4i is the current limit to my comfort zone and ability to hit an iron with an average expectation of hitting the greens on a long par three's.

No not really any of those issues. I do find hybrids easier to hit in general.

Its a bit contradicting, but this always go back to its a game for fun and people should play whatever they want to.

There is a BIG difference in shafts here; the 120 is 6.0fcm and 1 inch less in length (that is two clubs shorter and stiffer)
Okay well then that settles the matter of distance. I'm hitting the Blades the same as the Cavity Backs. Just may need to swap the shafts from one set to the other to get back any distance I may think I was losing.

Try putting a 100 gram hybrid shaft in a 3i before you consider not bagging one anymore. +1/2 - 3/4 long and bend it 2 deg weak, you might find this more accurate than your hybrid. I have a Matrix Altus 100g X in my hogan 3i blade. I hit some great shots with it, power to penetrate head winds and great off the tee, with no hybrid hookey o/b.
I did have a Taylormade RSI TP 3i head with this shaft...thinking I needed a cavity at this length...wrong the hogan 3i is much better. Last use was at the tips, 211 par 3 into 15mph wind. High draw over the bunker to 15ft short...the birdie putt went in! it was a tough putt too breaking away to a down slope at the end. I walked off the green thinking how in the hell did I do that! ...blade in wind, birdied the next hole too with a 7i miss hit, then went double bogie...Golf!

Last edited:
Try putting a 100 gram hybrid shaft in a 3i before you consider not bagging one anymore. +1/2 - 3/4 long and bend it 2 deg weak, you might find this more accurate than your hybrid. I have a Matrix Altus 100g X in my hogan 3i blade. I hit some great shots with it, power to penetrate head winds and great off the tee, with no hybrid hookey o/b.
I did have a Taylormade RSI TP 3i head with this shaft...thinking I needed a cavity at this length...wrong the hogan 3i is much better. Last use was at the tips, 211 par 3 into 15mph wind. High draw over the bunker to 15ft short...the birdie putt went in! it was a tough putt too breaking away to a down slope at the end. I walked off the green thinking how in the hell did I do that! ...blade in wind, birdied the next hole too with a 7i miss hit, then went double bogie...Golf!
Golf.

BTW

Couldn't hit the Blades for shi* after work. But I think it's exactly what I need to improve my game at this stage.

A smaller sweet spot to force me to address my swing flaws. What ever they may be.

Hybrid shafts in a three blade. Sounds like a plan. Have a few hybrid shafts in the garage to swap in and out for my Frankenstein 3 blade.

Will also be extending the Blades by an Inch and changing grips ASAP.

I was reminded why I play plus one inch length for the last ten years.

I have a bad neck and back. Long story short neck and back surgery with five ruptured disks and one broken vertebrae in the neck C6.

Anyways. By standing straight up I reduce stress on my back during my swing. After today's practice I felt the old familiar pain of playing standard length clubs.

So I'm back on the XR Pro's wagon until I get the clubs adjusted to my usual specs.

Golf.

BTW

Couldn't hit the Blades for shi* after work. But I think it's exactly what I need to improve my game at this stage.

A smaller sweet spot to force me to address my swing flaws. What ever they may be.

Hybrid shafts in a three blade. Sounds like a plan. Have a few hybrid shafts in the garage to swap in and out for my Frankenstein 3 blade.

Just to force some critical thinking, have you thought of finding a MP5 2i? Or, go even more extreme and finding a blade 1i?

Just to force some critical thinking, have you thought of finding a MP5 2i? Or, go even more extreme and finding a blade 1i?
I believe that the 3i is the top of the MP -5's line.

But I'm with Trevino. Even God couldn't hit a 2 iron.

I believe that the 3i is the top of the MP -5's line.

But I'm with Trevino. Even God couldn't hit a 2 iron.

Maybe if God felt the negative feedback, it would force him to work on his swing ;)

There are so many types of irons on the market it doesn't need to come down to blades of cavity backs. I have shot sub 80 with blades, cavity back and even light weight ladies clubs. I don't find a any club holds it's line any better than the other it's all about solid fundamentals in your golf swing. Personally I don't understand the allure that people have with blades. Just try a bunch of clubs and play something that works and that you like.

I've been following this thread with interest because like Johan I also game musclebacks (Callaway Apex MBs).
It's interesting to see the comments from most but I have to say it's not all that bad playing with blades.

If there's anything I can contribute is to recommend you to avoid all out full swings. Club up one club if needed. Swing smooth and easy instead. My thinking is that blades are most effective when you are hitting from the sweet spot - increase your chances by playing them smooth and easy. This really is more a swing thought because as you may already know, you will end up swinging at your normal swing speed.

We should not be asking ourselves what is better. The only thing that exists is what is better for you and that is different for everyone.

Go hit 5-10 irons and see what gives you the best results and play that. If you don't play what gives you the best results I would question why but the only person you need to answer why to is yourself.

In the end my opinon is play what is best for your game and what you enjoy. But one type of club is NOT better than the other for everyone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back