5th Annual Golf-A-Thon Fundraiser...(pics)

links_slayer

Reaction score
Handicap
Way overdue posting this...haven’t been very active on the forums this season for a variety of reasons.

As I’ve done the past 4 years I decided to raise money for Head & Neck Cancer Research at the UW Carbone Cancer Center. Why so specific? For those that don’t know (I suspect this is a majority of you) here are the Cliff’s Notes:

I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity (specifically, my tongue) in June 2013. [No, I don’t smoke, don’t chew, and drink in moderation...so yeah, this was out of left field, particularly for a 30-year old w/ essentially 0 risk factors]

10+ hour surgery a few weeks after the diagnosis
Couple days in the ICU
Few more days recovering in the hospital
Rest/Recovered at home for ~6-8 weeks
Had feeding tube placed in my stomach since they told me chewing/swallowing was going to be impossible (they were right)
Started radiation the Tuesday after Labor Day
Got nuked for 30 treatments (Mon-Fri)

Decided to give a little back on the first anniversary of my surgery and have done so every year since.

============

Anyway....this year’s event was held on Tuesday July 3.

I played 135 holes in just over 11 hours this year, teeing off at 5:20am and holing my final put at 5:31pm.

Played pretty well throughout the day.

Almost had an ace....can’t help but wonder if she would’ve gone in a couple hours later after the dew was gone...oh well.

Had the skankiest 2 on a Par 4...62 yards left to an uphill green, bunker guarding the front. I blade a wedge that barely clears the bunker, thinking it’s in the long grass beyond the green. Jenn and I look for a few minutes and decide to keep plugging away in the interest of time. I drop, chip on, and as she goes to pull the pin out we hear a ball rattle at the bottom of the cup. lo lolololol...I’m so good.

More importantly, I raised ~$3,000 this year putting my 5 year total at $29,000 and change. I’m so incredibly proud of this.

My wife had some seriously awesome surprises in store since this was the 5th (and final) fundraiser...about a dozen of my buddies were going to be scattered around the course throughout the day and we’d play a few holes together. Unfortunately I had to do a last minute re-schedule due to the weather forecast and not all of them could make it. A few did and I couldn’t be more grateful.

Enough rambling. Here are some pics along with some stats for my fellow nerds. [Yes - I changed clothes head-to-toe at lunch...I’m a sweater...and it was hot.]

Oh yeah...my doctor told me I can call myself cured now...kabooooooom!

Much Love,
Josh

S9eXkES.jpg

RClYyFo.jpg

oX5s2uB.jpg

gNRc04U.jpg

u0FAqok.jpg

UrXCj2F.jpg

wbgg6kE.jpg

Well done Josh. $29K in fundraising is definitely an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing your success story.

FYI - you sent me a Links Strong ball marker and I use it often.

Congratulations and very proud for you!

JM

Great job!!!! Relay for Life tourney next weekend. #Survivor

Congrats on the money raised and congrats on the good news from your docs.

Congrats on the fundraising and the positive diagnosis!!

Congratulations all around, that's really cool what you've done (and continue to do)

Congrats on your anniversary, raising the money, and an overall awesome day of golf!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Congrats on being cured and on all the fundraising! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Nice playing as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you’ve done is awesome and you had some damned fine play. Well wishes for you, your wife and your continued good health.

Back