How do warranties usually work for broken shafts?

lazychicken

Reaction score
Handicap
Back in May I stepped up to a tee box, leaned over to put my tee in the ground, and heard a crunching noise from the driver in my other hand. I wasn't leaning on it, just had my hand on it to keep it upright with the club head on the ground, like we've all done a million times. The crunching noise was the shaft breaking right above the hosel. It just gave up.

After that round I walked into the pro shop and mentioned it to the guys there. They all said Mizuno's warranty is great and they'll replace the shaft no problem. I've never tried to use a club warranty before so it sounded odd to me that they would replace a broken shaft, but the pro shop guys said this happens all the time.

The club is a 2016 Mizuno JPX-EZ that I bought online from Rock Bottom Golf back in 2017 (both Rock Bottom and Mizuno confirmed that Rock Bottom is an authorized Mizuno retailer). So I went home and looked up the receipt from the purchase, and sure enough I was about 2-3 weeks away from the 1 year anniversary of buying the club, so I was still within the 1 year warranty. I called Mizuno the next day and the person said yes, they warranty this kind of thing, but she acted like it was unusual for me to send it in for repair as a consumer. She said they normally only deal with retailers with whom they have accounts. And she said it didn't matter if the retailer who sent it back to them was the same place I bought it. I told her I bought it online and confirmed that I could send it back through my home club pro shop. No problem.

I took it into the pro shop the next day and they promptly sent it back to Mizuno. I showed the pro shop guys my receipt from Rock Bottom with the date of purchase so they could confirm I was within my 1 year warranty period. And again, they said Mizuno is the easiest company in the world for things like this, so that was reassuring.

Over the past 3 months there have been several conversations between the pro shop and Mizuno where Mizuno was back and forth as to whether they would replace it under warranty or not. The pro shop guys kept on them about it.

And then last week the thing shows back up. A new shaft with a new grip on it -- along with an invoice for $100. Interestingly, it was a different shaft than the stock shaft I originally had on it. Anyway, the pro shop guys are calling back and trying to argue the $100 invoice with Mizuno.

I've bought a replacement driver and was just going to use this for my backup set, so it isn't a high priority for me. And, look, I'm not suggesting that the shaft broke after I hit the ball square in the middle of the face with every shot. I've had my fair share of swings where I hit the ground and drop-kicked the drive. Which I guess is why I was initially surprised that the pro shop guys said this is what warranties are for. I never intentionally abused the club, but sometimes my normal game provides abuse all on it's own. But if this is the kind of thing warranties are supposed to cover then I kinda want them to do the right thing here.

Anybody have any experience with getting a broken shaft replaced under warranty? I just want to know if I have a reasonable argument here or not. I'm not looking to get something for free if I'm in the wrong.

To be completely honest, this is way short of the description "easiest company in the world" to deal with warranty claims.

If the shaft broke during normal use while under warranty, they should honor that 100% with no charge to you no questions asked. After 3 months, a non-identical replacement (unless they ran out of old inventory) and a $100 invoice later, I would not be happy with Mizuno whatsoever.

Tour Edge is Shaft and Head - I had an old CB2 7wood that the shaft broke.
Replaced is exact match - No Charge.

Seems what we have here is a failure to communicate... somewhere along the way.

Sounds like Mizuno customer service was on board in covering the product under warranty. Whether the dealer or the end customer deals with the company is usually something the OEM determines, but you going through a pro shop (from whom you didn't buy the club) to Mizuno (and who knows, possibly the Mizuno rep to the shop?) typically adds layers of communication, and the opportunity for alternate facts to be inserted along the way.

Certainly Mizuno shouldn't be invoicing for a shaft replacement that you think is under warranty. Right way to handle it would be for them to tell you that the breakage wasn't covered (and why) and have you authorize replacement. Putting a different shaft in, even if it's what they believe is the closest that they have to your old one, just makes it worse. Someone had to have authorized this.

If you have the paperwork and have some RMA, invoice, or other reference number, I'd be calling Mizuno to try to get some answers.

Makes me appreciate that companies like Callaway deal direct with end users... likely one of the reasons they've earned their reputation for customer service. Based on my experience with them, as long as you purchased from a legit source you would likely have a replacement club in your hands in days rather than months.

This is why I hate being told "go through original retailer" and variations of that. I understand why they do it (cut out 2nd-hand market), but I feel a company should stand behind their own product, regardless of acquisition method.

To be completely honest, this is way short of the description "easiest company in the world" to deal with warranty claims.

If the shaft broke during normal use while under warranty, they should honor that 100% with no charge to you no questions asked. After 3 months, a non-identical replacement (unless they ran out of old inventory) and a $100 invoice later, I would not be happy with Mizuno whatsoever.

100% agree with this.

... Last year I was given an Epic for my birthday from my son in California. I was playing it for maybe one month and the shaft snapped right at the hosel adaptor. I called Callaway and told them it was a present from my son who no longer had the receipt. They said no problem, just take it to the PGA Superstore and they would take care of it from there. PGA SS had one in stock, so pulled the Rogue shaft from a driver on the floor and exchanged it for my broken Rogue shaft. PGA said Callaway will send them a new one and they will send the broken shaft to Callaway. Much faster service than I thought and I was very happy with Callway's customer service.

Ping replaced my driver that snapped at the hosel after about two years. My pro (from whom I bought the club, thank goodness) took care of everything. A good reason to go through a club pro.

I cracked my '16 M2. Didn't have the receipt anymore and was told I was SOL. I also broke a tour ad di hybrid in one of my driving irons. Found out prochoice wouldn't honor the warranty (they said if a shaft would fail it would fail within 60 days.) Edwin Watts covered me thankfully.

I understand companies trying to limit the 2nd hand market, but at the same time I really wish they would stand behind their product.

The shaft on my Rogue driver snapped within about 10 swings after taking the plastic off the head. Just a freak thing. I took pictures, got the number / name of the guy in the stall next to me who witnessed that I didn't abuse it then called Callaway. Their CS ordered me a replacement shaft the next day and sent me pre-paid postage to return the broken one. It took a handful of days for the replacement shaft to clear customs in Mexico, but I had the shaft in hand within a reasonable timeframe.

This talk of months and $100 is absurd, IMO

I'm not a lawyer but I think you could legally tell them to shove that $100.00 invoice right up their mizuno!

I still love their irons though.. :) Sorry they sucked for you with their Customer service.

I broke a shaft to a Callaway 5 wood and they refused to send me a shaft. They sent me a brand new 5 wood with whatever shaft I wanted. I guess its up to the company

i took my clubs on vacation (in a club glove case with a driver protector). When I returned home, all seemed well. But the first time I went to the course, the Driver head snapped off at the hosel with my first swing warming up on the range. I had to run about 100 yards, but got the head. The driver was less than 1 year old, and I asked the pro shop if they could call Titleist for me. They actually mailed the shaft (and adaptor) to Titleist for me, and within a week I had a new identical shaft at no charge. No complaints with Titleist or the golf course in my limited experience.

... Last year I was given an Epic for my birthday from my son in California. I was playing it for maybe one month and the shaft snapped right at the hosel adaptor. I called Callaway and told them it was a present from my son who no longer had the receipt. They said no problem, just take it to the PGA Superstore and they would take care of it from there. PGA SS had one in stock, so pulled the Rogue shaft from a driver on the floor and exchanged it for my broken Rogue shaft. PGA said Callaway will send them a new one and they will send the broken shaft to Callaway. Much faster service than I thought and I was very happy with Callway's customer service.

I've heard many a story like this regarding Callaway. They really seem to be strong at standing behind their product.

Here's what you do. You call Mizuno and tell them what happened. Then make sure they know that your experience is being documented on THP, one of the largest gatherings of golfers, and THEY get to determine the end of this story. It should work out alright for you.

Funny point -- I really only bought this Mizuno driver because I wanted to try an experiment with cutting down a stiff shaft to see how it could change my contact and ball flight. The shaft on my driver at the time (Callaway X2Hot) was a regular flex. I found the Mizuno on RBG.com, did a little research, and kinda took a flyer on it just on a whim. It worked out pretty well for me up until the shaft incident. But the point I wanted to make is that after the shaft broke, and while I was still on the course, I texted my Callaway rep to see if he happened to have a driver in his garage (his stock room) he might want to sell me for a good deal. After giving me the fully expected crap about the fact that I was playing a Mizuno driver (we're friends) he offered me a screaming deal on a new Rogue, the driver that lives in my bag today. So yeah, one might say Callaway came through for me when it wasn't even their product that broke. :)

The head pro at my club is the one who actually told me Mizuno was great to work with. He's a big Mizuno fan, having been a Mizuno staffer for some number of years. He actually retired a month or so ago but I ran into him at the club last week and he is horrified at how this whole thing has worked out with my club. I didn't even bring it up.

No update on the invoice issue yet. I'm not in a hurry for it so I'm letting the guys in the pro shop work it out. They are appropriately annoyed at Mizuno now so they're handling it as best they can. If Mizuno ends up sticking to their guns, I really just want an explanation as to why they wouldn't warranty it. Like I said, I've never done this before but with what I've heard, and with the stories you guys have told me now, it seems like they should.

I appreciate the responses.

Back