Seeing the break.

Dave G

Reaction score
Handicap
28.2 USGA
I'm going to say that it's been just recently that I've started to actually see the path that the ball is going to follow on it's way to the hole. I'm at my 80th (9 hole) round.

How long did it take for you?

I'm still trying to find it after 8+ years. When you play a variety of courses and surfaces, it plays with you. Add in different grass types and I'm usually just hoping for a good lag outside of a few feet. All a matter of expectations.

I go through spurts it seems. Earlier this year I was reading them so great and made a ton of putts. Lately though it seems like I over read everything and play too much break. I've been hitting my putts perfectly on my chosen line but am missing a lot. Golf is dumb.

I have never been a good green reader, but since wearing my Rx when I golf it has surely helped a lot.

You may see a path, but you will not see the "correct" path to the hole on every hole - greens and greenskeepers are sneaky that way.

My instructor was telling me that he asked Brad Faxon and other great putters what they see -- apparently, it's a gutter to the hole and you just see that gutter and start the ball somewhere along the gutter.

Speed is more important than the exact line.

I use AimPoint Express primarily to find my gutter to the hole.

You may see a path, but you will not see the "correct" path to the hole on every hole - greens and greenskeepers are sneaky that way.

My instructor was telling me that he asked Brad Faxon and other great putters what they see -- apparently, it's a gutter to the hole and you just see that gutter and start the ball somewhere along the gutter.

Speed is more important than the exact line.

I use AimPoint Express primarily to find my gutter to the hole.

I've found the gutter a few times after too much MD 20/20.

Most the time i think i can read it pretty good. But then there are always the ones that are a complete misread

I've found the gutter a few times after too much MD 20/20.

I remember 20/20 ... I was 18 yrs old, and I was in a 7/11.

Even then, I knew better... what's your excuse?

:)

Back