Is golf being killed?

Mulligan9111

Go Skers!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Time
I'm just curious what everyone's impression is on the game of golf. There have been a couple threads now asking if something is "killing golf". So it got me wondering, is golf really dying or in the process of being killed off?

Personally, at least where I live, golf seems to be really steady. Getting a tee-time is something you have to do many days in advance, there are always a bunch of people at the course, and the events (scrambles/best balls/etc.) are almost always sold out. I guess I never really thought about the game of golf being killed as, around me, it seems to be rolling on like it has been for the past 5 to 10 years. I would say since Tiger, but there was a stretch there when the economy went in the toilet that golf took a down turn here.

Golf is strong up here.

I'm not really sure there is validity to either of the other "killing golf" threads, so my answer here is a resounding "NO." Rounds are up for the first time in a few years, sales are up (well, at least Callaway posted >30% YoY increase in Q2), and the general mood is not one of doom like it was a few years back. Golf had a little bit of a correction, but it seems to be getting healthier. Now if we could only get rid of 5+ months of winter here in Michigan.

Golf won't die. Still lots of interest in the game from kids wanting to learn it.

Totally - golf was taken down by Nike blade polos and Rory's bad attitude.

Kidding! Golf is fine as far as I can tell.

Alive and kicking around here. The range I frequent had a 30 minute wait last night as all of the hitting area's were full and this is common throughout the week. Public courses around here are pretty well packed on the weekends, and I see leagues going out Mon-Thu on most of them. I'd argue it's thriving around here.

Golf is booming in South Jersey. For everyone.

Caddie programs with College Scholarship plans are full of kids Golfing.

Hard to get Tee Times at the more popular courses and even walk ons are hard to come by, even later in the day in the summer.

I'm just curious what everyone's impression is on the game of golf. There have been a couple threads now asking if something is "killing golf". So it got me wondering, is golf really dying or in the process of being killed off?

Personally, at least where I live, golf seems to be really steady. Getting a tee-time is something you have to do many days in advance, there are always a bunch of people at the course, and the events (scrambles/best balls/etc.) are almost always sold out. I guess I never really thought about the game of golf being killed as, around me, it seems to be rolling on like it has been for the past 5 to 10 years. I would say since Tiger, but there was a stretch there when the economy went in the toilet that golf took a down turn here.

Nope

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/09/cramer-golf-stocks-are-a-burgeoning-bull-market.html

And with the recent Q2 reports from both Callaway and Acushnet - Cramer was/is on point

No, golf is a awesomer than it has ever been imo. Golf is being killed by ______ threads are killing me though.

I think golf is evolving in many ways, most people are embracing that. Some are just stuck in the past. I think you have to now look at total participation and the demographics that are growing to see the total picture. Look at Top Golf (participation) and the growth of the PGA JR. League that hit 50,000 participants this year. The game is trending in the right direction and many that might not have picked up the game are now getting involved.

Golf is doing well here also. One course that closed down 5 years back and reopened a couple years ago and is getting back on its feet now that the course is getting back into playing shape. The other courses that survived are doing well and are full most weekends.

Golf is going strong here.

Nothing is killing Golf. Nor will anything ever kill Golf. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

#FiberLaunch

I think it's fine here...range is always busy near my house and I always see full courses.

Golf has had a bit of remergance in recent years, i think numbers are still down on juniors but the ladies and mens game is on the up, or maybe I'm just taking more notice

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

To much doom and gloom talk from some but I see nothing that signals an end to golf. Are there courses that may be closing or struggling? Yes but there was a huge expansion of new courses in the 2000s and I think it’s a “market” correction or a lack of do staging by the course(s) having issues.

Well, it's killing ME.

It's not allowed to die - I just found it!

Nah, seriously, the number of women in golf is growing. The courses around here are jam packed, and there are a LOT of courses here.

Stronger iron lofts are making the game more fun, which is keeping people playing the game.

It's called click bait.

It's killing my bank account for sure. The LPGA is not growing as fast as the Asian market. When was the last time you saw womens golf on regular TV, the British Open? As far as the PGA it's fine, especially with Eldrick Woods being relevant again.

I think golf is doing very well. Like anything I think it needs to continue to evolve to continue being successful but with things like Top Golf I think that helps. From the equipment standpoint it seems like every single manufacturer makes fantastic clubs and it seems like we have the best options ever available to us.

Honestly, I think it is better than it was in years past. It did grow too much for a period but the game as a whole is solid.

I think golf is changing, not dying. Change isn't always bad and golf seems to be going strong here.

My home course is going to break a record for the amount of green fees taken this year. Hopefully... so golf is good here.

Back