Blades Vs Cavity Back

I do not doubt that all. I think an MB may be easier to control, but the best of the best can still do a plenty bit of controlling with GI irons. Where I think this is very important, in regards to where this thread started, does a -20 index need to worry that much about trajectory control?

Yes the best of the best can do it I'm sure. Does a 20 need to worry about it personally I don't believe they do but to each his own I guess

Yes the best of the best can do it I'm sure. Does a 20 need to worry about it personally I don't believe they do but to each his own I guess
Right. For me, thinking of the OP specifically, I don't believe blades will help him get a better swing.

But blades look awesome and that means a lot, it does to me and I'm OK admitting that

I am still trying to comprehend how a blade can land the ball close to the hole than a CB.
Only way to tell is to put them on a robot side-by-side. Less dispersion wins.

Poll: Do you think shiny blades look better in a bag then cavities... bag candy?
Do they affect your financial decision in a side bet on the first tee looking at them?

do they look better? i guess there was a time when i would say hell yes. now, i think there are equally sexy cavities out there. so i'd say it depends which blades were talking about.

do they affect my decision when making a bet? it definitely shapes what i think about the player before seeing him or her hit their tee shot on number 1. prime example: i just played in a friendly multi-day tournament with a bunch of guys. the first time i met one of the guys who i only see at this annual tournament, he rolls up with a mizuno staff bag with his name on it, and a bag with a driver, mizuno mp-20something blades 2i-pw, and i forget what wedges. i absolutely figured he would be a stick, and he was.

Right. For me, thinking of the OP specifically, I don't believe blades will help him get a better swing.

But blades look awesome and that means a lot, it does to me and I'm OK admitting that

i get the thought process of the OP. Not sure it will work. I don't see how it could help immediately that's for sure. But to train to hit a smaller sweet spot I get that just unsure if it will work. It is golf and there are many different ways to go about it. Have fun doing it is all I can say

I never really got the point of a robot. No one swings like a robot, so what value is there in seeing how the dispersion is in the exact same spot every single time?

May as well use bouncey balls or tennis balls while we're at it.

???

How? But by extension, what part of a cavity back's design would cause an unexpected deviation from the target?

Poll: Do you think shiny blades look better in a bag then cavities... bag candy?
Do they affect your financial decision in a side bet on the first tee looking at them?

I played golf with Six4Three5 who has the 716 CB/MB combo in his bag and I actually think the CB version looks a ton better. They also performed better from my experiences and his own.

Another interesting same is Mizuno. I'd probably rather look at the MP-5 or MP-15 over the MP-4. personal preference I guess.

I never really got the point of a robot. No one swings like a robot, so what value is there in seeing how the dispersion is in the exact same spot every single time?
Because you're testing whether the club is *inherently* more or less accurate, independent of who is doing the swinging.

If you put a MB and a CB in a robot and you don't see a difference in dispersion, you can say they're equally accurate and it's all in your head. If the CB has a wider dispersion than the MB, you can talk about how a MB is more accurate than a CB. You can do the same thing to test "workability".

Introducing a human into the equation is the worst way to do that kind of test--human swings are variable for a million reasons, you get confirmation bias, etc.

How? But by extension, what part of a cavity back's design would cause an unexpected deviation from the target?
I have no idea, I'm not a club designer. I don't even know whether one is more accurate or more workable than the other. The only way to prove that is to take people out of the equation and hit them with perfect swing after perfect swing.

Srixon Z945 for the win looks wise IMO, I played blades a couple of years ago and did well with them in the 5 iron down and only switched out to try something different after joining THP and reading all the reviews and seeing what is out there. (yes I blame THP for creating this Club Ho)

I now play the APEX 16 pros which to be honest I don't know where you would put them in class not really a CB or GI / SGI . I don't have the contact consistency to play blades anymore, but really believe they are not as difficult as made out to be in the shorter irons. If I found a set of APEX MB or Z945 cheap I would most certainly buy them for a travel bag or when the mood strikes to play something different.

Because you're testing whether the club is *inherently* more or less accurate, independent of who is doing the swinging.

If you put a MB and a CB in a robot and you don't see a difference in dispersion, you can say they're equally accurate and it's all in your head. If the CB has a wider dispersion than the MB, you can talk about how a MB is more accurate than a CB. You can do the same thing to test "workability".

Introducing a human into the equation is the worst way to do that kind of test--human swings are variable for a million reasons, you get confirmation bias, etc.

I have no idea, I'm not a club designer. I don't even know whether one is more accurate or more workable than the other. The only way to prove that is to take people out of the equation and hit them with perfect swing after perfect swing.
Your forgetting an important variable that is the Ball. Even the same type of ball. Ball to ball could be different.

Robot testing is the worst way you can test anything in golf we are not robots and a robot won't ever swing the club for you . However I seem to remember one of the shaft companies (true temper I think) created a robot that can emulate the imperfections of a humans swing that would be a valid test imo but not something that is setup to hit the same spot over and over. On that note the sweet spot would most likely be in a different spot for the mb and cb so do you setup the bot to hit the sweet spot for each and if not how is that a fair test? People assume the exact middle is always the sweet spot unfortunately that is not always the case.

Everyone will have different results so instead of listening to the robot everyone should play what they have the most success with and like looking at.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ping S55's are cast yes but their metal is a lot softer than other harder castings. Bubba never changes his clubs, nor do ping make a blade either, which he's paid to play Ping's, prior to S55's he played another ping cavity model for years. Perhaps that's why he finishes so high to counter the offset?

Whats apparent in this thread so far is some+5 Hcpers commenting on a iron they have no business playing (unless they plan to get better, and practice 'alot')

According to Mizuno you should be <5 hcp to bag blades, so should readers really be taking blade comments/ blade iron experience's from players that are not below a 5 hcp...answer NO! ..Perhaps they can comment on other players who are below 5...like my Langer Perry example, specifically analyzing Ball striking GIR no other part of their game, like winning.

Most blade players can comment on cavities, we have been there done that...we might even go back to cavities if our game turns to Shi*, we get older and lose SS or we have less time to play golf

I am going on 49 and bagging blades...I have a good swing plane, flat wrist, range of motion. I train in a PVC swing ring every other day. I would buy one and see the light!

mizuno%20mp5_zps3dsvpslq.png
But the +5 handicapper has a serious question. On routine to highway single digits handicap, is a blade, like the MP-5'S, the best approach to improving ball striking and feel. Leading to the paradise of scratch. Or is the SGI or GI Cavity Back the right clubs to get better. Noting that for me they provide less feedback on mishits.

WFIW. Daily practice and lessons with either type of club. Equal serious dose of hard work to improve.

BTW. After just two weeks of daily practice with the MP-5's my ball striking with the XR Pro's has improved more than with 6 months of daily practice with just the XR Pro's.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't think a +5 has much to worry about.

But the +5 handicapper has a serious question. On routine to highway single digits handicap, is a blade, like the MP-5'S, the best approach to improving ball striking and feel. Leading to the paradise of scratch. Or is the SGI or GI Cavity Back the right clubs to get better. Noting that for me they provide less feedback on mishits.

WFIW. Daily practice and lessons with either type of club. Equal serious dose of hard work to improve.

BTW. After just two weeks of daily practice with the MP-5's my ball striking with the XR Pro's has improved more than with 6 months of daily practice with just the XR Pro's.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Honestly if your goal is to become a scratch golfer. Get a lot of lessons and practice, practice, practice. Especially short game. Short game is key to scratch IMO. That being said start out with the GIs IMO until you groove a solid swing. Blades are tougher to launch you need to strike them perfect for the results you desire. I believe GIs will help you get there faster. It's the swing and short game that will do it clubs are just a small part of the equation.

Guess my 10 HC non playing self shouldn't be looked my at MP-5's. Good to know

He did say he is holding his hcp/score, more time will tell

:popcorn:

Here is a review from Rick Shields on the OP's MP5's...
I post this because his misses are not losing too much yardage, he also comments how much more forgiving the MP5's are over the MP4's, as per Mitzy's website, perhaps high single digits can handle the MP5's?

“We wanted to provide all the forgiveness of the MP-64, a classic better-player’s cavity-back with a little bit of forgiveness, in the chassis and shape of a pure muscleback like the MP-4, with its workability and ball control and trajectory control,” said Chuck Couch, Mizuno’s vice president of product development .

Last edited:
Pretty solid review thread here on THP on the mp5. With tons of feedback from Canadan in there.

Pretty solid review thread here on THP on the mp5. With tons of feedback from Canadan in there.

I'm so glad you posted that. So so glad.

Honest question here, I really don't know. If you were to swing an MB, CB, GI, and SGI clubs with the same path and face to path, hitting all of them in their respective "sweet spot", what if any difference would there be in shot shape? Just a guess, but maybe the MB and players CB are pretty close and maybe the shape is lessened as you go up to SGI. Maybe the trampoline effect of the deep cavities dampen side spin?

Honest question here, I really don't know. If you were to swing an MB, CB, GI, and SGI clubs with the same path and face to path, hitting all of them in their respective "sweet spot", what if any difference would there be in shot shape? Just a guess, but maybe the MB and players CB are pretty close and maybe the shape is lessened as you go up to SGI. Maybe the trampoline effect of the deep cavities dampen side spin?

One thing to remember is that the ball can only spin on one axis at a time. So side spin is the same as backspin in that regard. Most hollow body or thin faced irons will have less spin, but offer a deeper center of gravity, which in turn leads to higher ball flights, with less spin which means lofts can be lowered to get launch adequate to produce some strong distances.

Im sure this confused more than anything, but hope that helps.

One thing to remember is that the ball can only spin on one axis at a time. So side spin is the same as backspin in that regard. Most hollow body or thin faced irons will have less spin, but offer a deeper center of gravity, which in turn leads to higher ball flights, with less spin which means lofts can be lowered to get launch adequate to produce some strong distances.

Im sure this confused more than anything, but hope that helps.
JB how much of the confusion do you think is being caused by the rapid advance in iron tech? I still see many thoughts out there (not just in this thread)that were proven to be invalid or rather something that new technology took care of.

Even in the last couple years we have seen HUGE tech advances in irons.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back