Swannies Callan Backpack - Anyone living that backpack life?

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone regularly use a backpack on or off the course? It has been several years since I last used a backpack on a regular basis so I'm looking to understand when and why THPers use a backpack in their lives, particularly if you use one related to golf. And let me know if you have any must-have features.

I'm about midway through a review for Swannies Callan backpack and took it on a long road trip to give a bit of an extended workout. I like the padded laptop pocket and dual water bottle holders, which were handy on the road trip, and I particularly liked leaving the tote style bags at home. Obviously more thoughts to follow but let me know what you think, THP.

BP_-_Solo_WEB.png

I had a hiking pack from REI, and two different backpacks with water reservoirs (I like the Osprey brand over the Camelbak). The water ones are for off roading.

If I’m flying, I take a backpack instead of luggage. Padded laptop sleeve is a must, as are padded straps. My usual big pack has two larger full length pockets, and two straps to flatten the sides or expand. A top zip is handy for small items and an organizer pocket on the front flap helps a lot. The big one has a bottom zip pocket that takes up the main area space but is water proof (handy for a towel or pair of shoes).

My smaller backpack which usually goes to work has a padded laptop sleeve AND a padded tablet sleeve, which was super convenient when traveling to host educational events. It has mesh water bottle side pockets but I rarely use them.

I haven’t had a need to dress or change at the course yet, but if I did, I’m sure I’d sling one of those backpacks into action. I do have an athletic style duffle that goes to kickboxing - if I needed to wear “real clothes” after golf with a shower, that would probably be pressed into action so my clothes didn’t wrinkle. For jeans and a t shirt, I’m shovin’ em into a backpack, even if I have to shower.

Swannies Callan Backpack - Anyone living that backpack life?

I use a backpack every day for work to carry my laptop and documents that I need for the day. Other than that I'll use one when I travel as a carry on so I like a good sized one that has a padded laptop sleeve plus plenty of space to carry other things like an extra set of clothes maybe (in case of just luggage). Good straps are a must and can be a make or break for me. I have a really nice Scotty Cameron backpack that is a great size but the straps are not great which limits how much I use it.

Last edited:
I use a High Sierra backpack daily. I carry my laptop to and from work. I also take it when traveling since I like to walk. It’s an easy place to throw a water bottle or any new purchases.

you can pry my Dakine Heli Pro from my cold dead hands

I use a backpack like that for work and such. Easy to carry my laptop and other essentials. I quite like the look of that one though, especially the logo.

I use a Tom Bihn backpack for work. It's easily the most comfortable bag I've used, and is fantastic for when I have to travel into the city or somewhere else I have to walk a bunch.

Do I regularly use a backpack....

Internal frame larger day pack used for day hikes. Has a water reservoir and that internal frame system for carrying heavier loads. In a pinch I can strap a sleeping bag to the bottom and use this for a weekend trip. This used to be my day hike pack but has matured into my haul-all when I need to bring a lot of stuff some place.

Smaller REI day pack. Colors match my softball team; it has morphed into my tote for the 1st aid kid, team roster, glove, etc.

Bridgestone day pack. Got it at the THP Championship. It is black, which looks more grown up, and has a ton of pockets. This is my go to as my "one personal item" when I fly.

The kids have their school day packs. Wheels have become the key feature, followed closely by telescoping handle.

I think we've got a small pink day pack that the wife uses for day hikes. Compact size - enough to hold a rain jacket, some GORP, water and a 1st aid kit - and the girly pink color are the hallmarks of this one.

you can pry my Dakine Heli Pro from my cold dead hands

This was passion I did not expect - I need to google this bag quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Swiss Gear back pack for my daily use at work to carry my laptop back and forth.
I also take it when traveling as my carry on bag to carry the laptop, a change of clothes and anything I might need quickly on the trip.

958070_p_1

I’m going to try to incorporate a backpack into my golf routine tomorrow for my shoes, drinks, and post-round shower materials.

I have to say - the looks of the Swannie backpack are growing on me. Very unique.

I need to get a backpack with a laptop pocket. Tired of my man purse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I need to get a backpack with a laptop pocket. Tired of my man purse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s a satchel.

Do I regularly use a backpack....

Internal frame larger day pack used for day hikes. Has a water reservoir and that internal frame system for carrying heavier loads. In a pinch I can strap a sleeping bag to the bottom and use this for a weekend trip. This used to be my day hike pack but has matured into my haul-all when I need to bring a lot of stuff some place.

Smaller REI day pack. Colors match my softball team; it has morphed into my tote for the 1st aid kid, team roster, glove, etc.

Bridgestone day pack. Got it at the THP Championship. It is black, which looks more grown up, and has a ton of pockets. This is my go to as my "one personal item" when I fly.

The kids have their school day packs. Wheels have become the key feature, followed closely by telescoping handle.

I think we've got a small pink day pack that the wife uses for day hikes. Compact size - enough to hold a rain jacket, some GORP, water and a 1st aid kit - and the girly pink color are the hallmarks of this one.

The Bridgestone bag from the THP championship has replaced both of my Tumi, and another extraordinarily expensive duffel bag as my go to for light travel/carry on. It has so many pockets, and it's damn good looking!

Really glad you posted this thread... I am looking for a new backpack for work. I am getting ready to start traveling a ton in the next 4 months. So, it is time to replace my current.

I have been casually looking at the Ogio Gambit, but still open to options.

Last edited:
I use a backpack everyday for work, and also use one for hiking. Both are actually The North Face - have liked their designs/features over the years. Haven't seen the Swannies, yet.

My computer bag is a Targus backpack. Has to be 15 years old at this point. I have two other backbpacks (salomon and northface) that are ski packs. One is big, one is small so we use them as a diaper bag, general use.

I don't use one everyday, but I have a couple. Over here in California they charge you for a bag at the supermarket (actually a law that I like) so I always take a bag to the supermarket to put whatever I buy into it.

I have my Bridgestone bag from the THP Championship a few years ago (which has Mancest embroidered on it and strangely I have never been asked about that) and an Ogio renegade that I use when I travel for the RSS protection for my laptop. Will be using it again on Wednesday when I make a day trip up to Washington.

I don't use one everyday, but I have a couple. Over here in California they charge you for a bag at the supermarket (actually a law that I like) so I always take a bag to the supermarket to put whatever I buy into it.

I have my Bridgestone bag from the THP Championship a few years ago (which has Mancest embroidered on it and strangely I have never been asked about that) and an Ogio renegade that I use when I travel for the RSS protection for my laptop. Will be using it again on Wednesday when I make a day trip up to Washington.

Heard a ton of good things about the Renegade.

Heard a ton of good things about the Renegade.

It is a good bag, never worry about my laptop in it and it has great organizational options. Several pockets, slots etc for keeping cords and everything right where you want them. The molded padded sunglass case is also nice, but all those dividers/slots take up space so for how big it is I feel like it doesn't have the storage of other bags it's size. For me it works well when for 3-4 day trips in conjunction with my carry on bag, but not sure if it will be large enough to take just it with everything I need for an overnight trip like I am taking this week.

So I took the swannies backpack to the course this past weekend and it was a welcome (albeit unnecessary) addition to the routine. It held everything I needed to take into the club house and the extra shower materials for after the round. The laptop pocket continues to get ignored, poor little guy.

Fun fact (ok, not sure it’s fun but it is a fact). I found another pocket I had no idea it had - basically an out of sight valuables pocket for things you don’t want to get lost in the bigger pockets. Kinda cool and certainly useful.

The Callan is clearly in the leisure category - not nearly as feature rich as others discussed here but has the leisure requirements of dual water holders, laptop pocket, spacious, fun design, and a valuables pocket.

It is a good bag, never worry about my laptop in it and it has great organizational options. Several pockets, slots etc for keeping cords and everything right where you want them. The molded padded sunglass case is also nice, but all those dividers/slots take up space so for how big it is I feel like it doesn't have the storage of other bags it's size. For me it works well when for 3-4 day trips in conjunction with my carry on bag, but not sure if it will be large enough to take just it with everything I need for an overnight trip like I am taking this week.

Ended up getting the Rengade and I agree with this. I feel like they coulda used one more big storage pocket as well. It serves me perfect because it seems to be a great everyday backpack. Also, the sunglasses and padded laptop area were what sold me.

I've got too many backpacks... A smallish North Face backpack that I use for my work laptop and assorted sundries. My Bridgestone Golf used to be my goto short trip bag, but the Ogio hybrid gym bag we got at the Grandaddy has taken over that role as it's awesome and a little more versatile for clothes and such. I've also got a single strap backpack that I use for fishing, instead of a tackle box.

I have quite a few backpacks, but the main one I use is my Ogio Renegade, which is freaking sweet. I don't bring it to the course much, but I probably will have it with me at the Tahoe Open!

Back