Opinion Appreciated : New vs The Deal

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
THP, I’d greatly appreciate your opinion. I’m a huge believer in fitting but my budget is now crippled after a TM P790 and Callaway Rogue driver fitting. In a perfect world I’d put an order for a FW and hybrid to match my fit shaft but financially it’s out the window. A friend offered me a chance to buy a second hand club with matching shaft but difference brand for a 1/8th the price of a new Rouge.

One of the elements I enjoy about a fitting, aside from finding the right combo, is “pay once, cry once” mentality. There is a lot on the table when you start hitting up classifieds and eBay. A club may just not work well and suddenly after trying two or three options you’ve almost spent full retail money. My biggest reservation is that I am short (5’7) and basically need an inch off every club and always get worried about having to find a legit club builder vs just hacking an inch off the butt.

What do you think?

If the shaft is a match grab it, especially if it’s an upcharge. When you find and can afford the best head for you you can swap it in.

THP, I’d greatly appreciate your opinion. I’m a huge believer in fitting but my budget is now crippled after a TM P790 and Callaway Rogue driver fitting. In a perfect world I’d put an order for a FW and hybrid to match my fit shaft but financially it’s out the window. A friend offered me a chance to buy a second hand club with matching shaft but difference brand for a 1/8th the price of a new Rouge.

One of the elements I enjoy about a fitting, aside from finding the right combo, is “pay once, cry once” mentality. There is a lot on the table when you start hitting up classifieds and eBay. A club may just not work well and suddenly after trying two or three options you’ve almost spent full retail money. My biggest reservation is that I am short (5’7) and basically need an inch off every club and always get worried about having to find a legit club builder vs just hacking an inch off the butt.

What do you think?

Are you certain you need "an inch off every club"?
Most LPGA players stand 5'7" or less and men's standard length clubs are common for that Tour.

Are you certain you need "an inch off every club"?
Most LPGA players stand 5'7" or less and men's standard length clubs are common for that Tour.

Yes, but reasoning is extra distance for them, while rarely missing center contact.

comfort with clubs instills confidence. if you're comfortable with them then grab them and play well. If you're in different about it then pass and go with what you know you'll be comfortable with.

comfort with clubs instills confidence. if you're comfortable with them then grab them and play well. If you're in different about it then pass and go with what you know you'll be comfortable with.

I ended up picking up a TM M1 3HL off eBay as it has the Oban Isawa shaft. I feel like I can get used to a head but it’s taken me forever to be properly fit into a shaft that just works for me.

Back