3 Things We Don’t Discuss on the Course

Reaction score
Handicap
1) Politics

2) Religion

3) MY GOLF SWING...

Good People of THP: let’s start a movement to stamp out unsolicited swing advice on the course. If someone asks “Hey, what’d I do on that one?”, fine, give some advice. But when I’m standing there watching my ball hook into the woods that’s a terrible time to say anything like:

“Picked your head up.”

“Got quick on that one.”

“You came over the top.”

I propose we add a new rule:

Rule 68.6.9(c)-46: Any player who offers unsolicited swing advice to another player shall immediately be required to drop and do 100 real deal Marine boot camp style push-ups . If said player is unable to complete the 100 push-ups, then a stroke shall be added to their score for each push-up not completed. The 100 push-up penalty shall be doubled for any visual illustrations the advice-giver offers such as a demonstration of the error or example of how to swing properly.

I'm so with you. I want to tell those who do this to STFU. And loudly.

Need some advice on how to shut them up politely. There are a few people that ask me to play Gold with them, and I won't because of this.

Yes, I know I'm a high handicapper. I get it. That doesn't mean I want you to fix my swing/stroke/course management, etc.

I'm so with you. I want to tell those who do this to STFU. And loudly.

Need some advice on how to shut them up politely. There are a few people that ask me to play Gold with them, and I won't because of this.

Yes, I know I'm a high handicapper. I get it. That doesn't mean I want you to fix my swing/stroke/course management, etc.

Generally I’ll just smile and politely ignore the first volley of unsolicited advice, then change the subject.

If it continues I’ll say something like “Thanks... I usually don’t talk much about my swing out here... I’m not great at making changes mid-round.”

Doesn’t bother me at all with the guys I play with. They’re trying to help, and god knows I can use it sometimes. Then again, I don’t play with people who are doing this on every swing.

“Thanks but I’m working on something with a Pro at the moment”

You do you. If somebody says something like that to me, "little over the top?" "Not get your hands through?" "That looked quick." I wouldn't get upset, if it was coming from a place of friendship and they meant well by it. If it was them trying to be a jerk or get in my head, different story. But why should I be upset with somebody when somebody points out that I hit a bad shot, it's not like a ball hooking OB is a secret. I am not that soft skinned about it.

Last edited:
You do you. If somebody says something like that to me, "little over the top?" "Not get your hands through?" "That looked quick." I wouldn't get upset, if it was coming from a place of friendship and they meant well by it. If it was them trying to be a jerk or get in my head, different story. But why should I be upset when somebody when somebody points out that I hit a bad shot, it's not like a ball hooking OB is a secret. I am not that soft skinned about it.

This is mostly from people who I am paired with that I don't know. What possesses someone to give unsolicited advice to a stranger continuously? Especially since most are not below 100 players. Worry about your own game. New players are nervous enough playing around others.

The one person that I don't play with used to do it on every, single swing. And he was a higher handicap than me. If I am struggling and ask, that's one thing. My main playing partner is a below 80 player. I'll ask him when things are going south.

“Thanks but I’m working on something with a Pro at the moment”

I said this to my Father In Law who plays 3 times a year and hasn't been to a range in 2 years. He was with me and my daughter and he was trying to give my daughter advice that was totally opposite to what her instructor was trying to help her with. I get informal instruction from the Pro at the range, and he was also trying to tell me to do the exact opposite of what the Pro was telling me. And both my daughter and are were better ball strikers than him, so you can imagine how awfully he was hitting the ball.

For a new Golfer trying to learn the game, this is seriously awful and extra ordinarily distracting. STFU and let me practice within my own head tyvm.

This is mostly from people who I am paired with that I don't know. The one person that I don't play with used to do it on every, single swing. And he was a higher handicap than me.
It's all about intent to me. If they intend to just have some friendly banter, doesn't bother me. Even if there person is a higher handicap. If they say something wrong, so what? To deflect my frustration of hitting a bad shot onto them, that's useless.

This all comes down to who I'm playing with. If I'm out with someone like OITW who I play with regularly, and he notices something, I'm happy to take the input.

... I taught for 5 years and after leaving the profession I would occasionally give some advice to players I was paired up with that struggled and made the same mistake over and over again. Always prefaced with "I used to teach so would you mind if I give you one piece of advice?" About 75% of the players appreciated my expertise, but 25% took offense and you could see it in their look and hear it in their voice when they declined. It did not take me long to realize I was not teaching anymore and I stopped looking at others swings. Admittedly it is painful to watch a high index player make a common and an easily addressed swing flaw over and over again while moaning and groaning all the way about how bad they are hitting it, but it is their game and if they want help they will seek instruction. It just isn't my place to offer advice. That said, I do have played with those asking for advice, usually along the lines of "If you see something wrong with my swing I would love some advice". In that case, if it is something painfully obvious I may give them one swing thought, but the majority of the time I just say "if I see something I will let you know" and remain quiet.

Doesn’t bother me at all with the guys I play with. They’re trying to help, and god knows I can use it sometimes. Then again, I don’t play with people who are doing this on every swing.

I hear ya. It’s the chronic unsolicited advice that gets old. Once or twice, no big deal.

You do you. If somebody says something like that to me, "little over the top?" "Not get your hands through?" "That looked quick." I wouldn't get upset, if it was coming from a place of friendship and they meant well by it. If it was them trying to be a jerk or get in my head, different story. But why should I be upset when somebody when somebody points out that I hit a bad shot, it's not like a ball hooking OB is a secret. I am not that soft skinned about it.

Well said. I think it’s the guy at the club who feels the need to interject after nearly every shot that gets old.

Well said. I think it’s the guy at the club who feels the need to interject after nearly every shot that gets old.
Just stop hitting bad shots ;)

... I taught for 5 years and after leaving the profession I would occasionally give some advice to players I was paired up with that struggled and made the same mistake over and over again. Always prefaced with "I used to teach so would you mind if I give you one piece of advice?" About 75% of the players appreciated my expertise, but 25% took offense and you could see it in their look and hear it in their voice when they declined. It did not take me long to realize I was not teaching anymore and I stopped looking at others swings. Admittedly it is painful to watch a high index player make a common and an easily addressed swing flaw over and over again while moaning and groaning all the way about how bad they are hitting it, but it is their game and if they want help they will seek instruction. It just isn't my place to offer advice. That said, I do have played with those asking for advice, usually along the lines of "If you see something wrong with my swing I would love some advice". In that case, if it is something painfully obvious I may give them one swing thought, but the majority of the time I just say "if I see something I will let you know" and remain quiet.

Exceptions to the proposed new rule can be made for professional (former or current) instructors. If you opened the conversation the way you stated it above, I’d totally be open to your input. “Hey, I used to teach, would you like some input?” is much different than “Look, here’s what you’re doing wrong.”

I welcome any and all advice on the golf course. If you think I did something wrong by all means tell me. If I think it's foolish i'll say, "Hey thanks". If i think it's terrible i'll say, "Hey thanks"! and if I like it i'll say, "Hey Thanks"! I have bigger things to worry about than someone just trying to be nice.

Last edited:
In the town I work in there's a guy....

I've heard the backstory now, apparently he died and was revived. Ever since then he runs (not walks, runs!) all day long preaching to anyone and everyone he meets. He found religion big time with that experience. This is a town of about 25k people and I bet every single one of them knows him.

One day he hit me up at 3 different spots in town within a mile or so of each other in under 30 minutes. Getting lunch at a restaurant, at the bank, and in the parking lot at my work.

Not sure the relevance but when I saw religion I thought of him.

I'll give him this, he's committed. I wouldn't be surprised if he popped out of a random bush at the course and started preaching to me.

'....100 real deal Marine boot camp style push-ups'

YES!!!

I welcome any and all advice on the golf course. If you think I did something wrong by all means tell me. If I think it's foolish i'll say, "Hey thanks". If i think it's terrible i'll say, "Hey thanks"! I have bigger things to worry about than someone just trying to be nice.

Fair enough. I suppose I should be more tolerant. Would you find the 3rd or 4th comment to still be “trying to be nice” or would you eventually tire of it?

Politics, Religion, and personal relationships. Especially when the relationship involves a mutual friend.

Fair enough. I suppose I should be more tolerant. Would you find the 3rd or 4th comment to still be “trying to be nice” or would you eventually tire of it?

I honestly wouldn't tire of it because it never really bothered or affected me in the first place. As long as they're not taking the club from my hand and giving me a 15 minute lesson on the course then it really doesn't bother me. If it makes people feel better about themselves while trying to help someone else i'm all for it. It's a lot better than him being negative, putting you down, and telling you to quit. That's what you're friends are for!

Amen on all 3!!

Personally, I like corrective and constructive advice on things I can do better. I'm not so egotistic that I don't think good advice might not be able to help me improve. BTW, we also talk politics and religion when the subject arises. After all those two subjects affect our personal lives more that any other topics I can think of.

It's all about intent to me. If they intend to just have some friendly banter, doesn't bother me. Even if there person is a higher handicap. If they say something wrong, so what? To deflect my frustration of hitting a bad shot onto them, that's useless.

I agree if it's one or two comments. I totally get that and certainly brush it off. I've been paired with people who say something "instructive" after ever swing and every putt. On every hole. STFU already, LOL. (Not you!)

Back