Trying To Break 90 Club

Bouncing in and out of this thread.
Yesterday - 100.
Today - 89.
The difference? Driving and putting. Kept myself in play for most of today, only two 3 putts (both from more than 45 ft).

That's how it goes... my last 5 full rounds:

If it was easy I guess I wouldn't enjoy it as much :)

I hear you re: keeping it in play. Makes a big difference for me when I stay out of trouble off the tee.

So i went to the sim tonight, and that happened!:

33e8a2816277704b0c24471f4ea3a6df.jpg

Where is that thumbs down button when you need it?
Haha I am just jealous because the next time I play golf I will probably shoot 120 haha

Haha I am just jealous because the next time I play golf I will probably shoot 120 haha
I actually played two rounds tonight, 79 and 82. I am paying outside this Sunday... I wonder if I am going to play anywhere near as good in the cold. My swing with the irons was great, and I was driving the ball really well

I actually played two rounds tonight, 79 and 82. I am paying outside this Sunday... I wonder if I am going to play anywhere near as good in the cold. My swing with the irons was great, and I was driving the ball really well
That's awesome man. I hope it goes well for you Sunday. The weather we are having is so crazy I just haven't had the opportunity to take advantage.

Go into it with the SIM mindset that got you the 79 and 82. Looking forward to hearing how you did.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Went out today and had a case of the shanks with my irons and wasn't much better off the tee. I was scrambling all day long and managed to slow the bleeding and come away with a 96. The one bright spot today was I did hit my driver well which I hadn't done in a long time, I would trade that for hitting my irons well and using the 3W off the tee any day though. Not a great day today, but any day playing golf in December can't be bad!

Went out today and had a case of the shanks with my irons and wasn't much better off the tee. I was scrambling all day long and managed to slow the bleeding and come away with a 96. The one bright spot today was I did hit my driver well which I hadn't done in a long time, I would trade that for hitting my irons well and using the 3W off the tee any day though. Not a great day today, but any day playing golf in December can't be bad!

70 degrees here today! Definitely golf weather BUT I over-indulged at the company holiday party last night and spent the day getting re-hydrated, haha. No golf for me.

70 degrees here today! Definitely golf weather BUT I over-indulged at the company holiday party last night and spent the day getting re-hydrated, haha. No golf for me.

It happens, I usually pound Powerade the day after I overindulge. I've got another tee time in the morning and I'm hoping I can get in a better 18 than I did today before it starts raining.

It happens, I usually pound Powerade the day after I overindulge. I've got another tee time in the morning and I'm hoping I can get in a better 18 than I did today before it starts raining.

This was a special kind of overindulgence. Started at noon and crawled into the hotel bed at about 3:00 am. Golf would've been bad today.

Not sure if the weather will hold here in the AM on Sunday. If it does I'll give it a shot.

This was a special kind of overindulgence. Started at noon and crawled into the hotel bed at about 3:00 am. Golf would've been bad today.

Not sure if the weather will hold here in the AM on Sunday. If it does I'll give it a shot.

Ouch!!! That might be a two day recovery.

Trying To Break 90 Club

A solid 43/42 85 including 4 (yes, 4) hozel rockets. Did not putt well but kept the ball in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Dave!

A solid 43/42 85 including 4 (yes, 4) hozel rockets. Did not putt well but kept the ball in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good round Dave!

Got in another December round today, started out with the shanks again. Playing with my brother-in-law who regularly shoots in the low 100's but he was on for him and was taking me to the woodshed. So I was +20, twelve holes in today and down by 5 strokes. Then something just clicked and my irons came back from the dead, I played the last 6 holes even par. On 17, which is a short par 3, they had the pin on the front side and we both ended up short of the green and I was out. I holed out from about 15 yards and he made bogey to even us up. I made par on 18 and he made bogey and I went up by 1. I came out of the day with a 48/44, 92, the last 6 holes really saved me from blowing by the century mark and gave me back a lot of confidence in my game. My B-I-L couldn't believe how poorly I was playing but he was having a good time beating me through 16 holes.

43 first 9, 49 second 9. One bad hole just killed me in stroke on the second 9.... bugger. Feeling much better about my game this week starting to come together as we start summer here.

So how'd your actual round go after the SIM?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I just came back, and it started okay, but I can't find any short game touch in the cold... I shot 47 in the front, and we threw the scorecard away on the back, but I g guess I would have shot around 50

41/49 for 90. Three hole stretch of two doubles and a triple killed the back 9. The plus side is this is the first time I've played an entire round without losing a ball.

Still awesome to play December golf in short sleeves though.

Last edited:
47/44 91 sooo close poorly rolling greens kept me out of the 80's today

Temps are supposed to be in the mid 50s today - think I'll sneak out for one more round.

Great thread! I recently joined the forum and came across this which caught my eye. I have enjoyed reading some of these posts and seeing how some others have progressed and finally broke 90. I have been in this boat lately. I started playing golf in August of this year, and I get to play once or twice a week most of the time. My last 4 rounds at my local course were 94, 91, 93, 91 (par 71, 36/35).

Last week I got out on one of the nicer days with little wind. The front 9 went about like normal. I had 3 pars, a couple double bogeys, and the rest were bogeys for a 44 on the front. The first three holes on the back 9 started the same; bogey, double, double. I tend to lose the ball to the right quite often, so I am playing out of the rough or worse normally. I also tend to hit the ball fat quite a few times in a round. On the next hole I made a couple small changes to my grip and swing and put it in the fairway off the tee ending up with a par. I focused on these changes and most of the rest of my shots ended up being in the fairway. I ended up shooting par on the next 5 holes and birdied 18 for a 39 on the back. I finally broke 90 with an 83, and it was an awesome feeling! I haven"t been able to play again since, but I hope I can soon to see if I can shoot under 90. I am having a blast playing golf so far needless to say!

Great thread! I recently joined the forum and came across this which caught my eye. I have enjoyed reading some of these posts and seeing how some others have progressed and finally broke 90. I have been in this boat lately. I started playing golf in August of this year, and I get to play once or twice a week most of the time. My last 4 rounds at my local course were 94, 91, 93, 91 (par 71, 36/35).

Last week I got out on one of the nicer days with little wind. The front 9 went about like normal. I had 3 pars, a couple double bogeys, and the rest were bogeys for a 44 on the front. The first three holes on the back 9 started the same; bogey, double, double. I tend to lose the ball to the right quite often, so I am playing out of the rough or worse normally. I also tend to hit the ball fat quite a few times in a round. On the next hole I made a couple small changes to my grip and swing and put it in the fairway off the tee ending up with a par. I focused on these changes and most of the rest of my shots ended up being in the fairway. I ended up shooting par on the next 5 holes and birdied 18 for a 39 on the back. I finally broke 90 with an 83, and it was an awesome feeling! I haven"t been able to play again since, but I hope I can soon to see if I can shoot under 90. I am having a blast playing golf so far needless to say!

breaking 90 on your first year! that quite a feat!

congratulations!

Back