Are PGA Tour Players

HITitHIGH

Reaction score
Handicap
Allowed to wear spikes? Camara crew following Justin Thomas after he finished. He was walking on the sidewalk and it sure sounded like it to me. Brought back some memories.

I believe they can, but it is course dependent. Some don't allow it at all. They are told what they are allowed spike wise before tourney starts.

I believe they can, but it is course dependent. Some don't allow it at all. They are told what they are allowed spike wise before tourney starts.
I've never heard of a course not allowing it, do you know what courses don't allow it.

I think a good percentage of players wear them.

I've never heard of a course not allowing it, do you know what courses don't allow it.

I think a good percentage of players wear them.

I think he's talking about metal spikes vs soft spikes which is the standard these days.

I think he's talking about metal spikes vs soft spikes which is the standard these days.
We we're on the same page, there are still quite a few pga players with the real deal. You can hear the click click on the cart paths when you go to events.

I believe they are permitted to wear them at any tournament if they choose to do so. A lot don't but several still do

Best I could find.
33-1/14 Condition Regarding Footwear
Q.May a Committee, in the conditions of a competition, prohibit the use of shoes with metal or traditionally designed spikes?

A.Yes.

It surprises me that guys still choose to wear metal spikes. With the advancement in non-metal spikes and just golf shoes in general, I don’t necessarily see the warrant for it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of them are wearing pro stinger spikes, aka the best of both worlds.

“The Champ Pro Stinger golf spikes provides golfers with unsurpassed traction in all weather conditions. Reminiscent of the traction provided from old school metal spikes, the Pro Stinger combines a hardened steel tip for ultimate traction, high impact polymer for durability from a soft pliable green friendly material.”

“The Champ Pro Stinger golf spikes provides golfers with unsurpassed traction in all weather conditions. Reminiscent of the traction provided from old school metal spikes, the Pro Stinger combines a hardened steel tip for ultimate traction, high impact polymer for durability from a soft pliable green friendly material.”

That’s cool to know. Because yea, I think it was Fitzpatrick today that walked right by us on the cart path and definitely had some clicking going on.

That’s cool to know. Because yea, I think it was Fitzpatrick today that walked right by us on the cart path and definitely had some clicking going on.

A lot more guys wear them than you’d think, but you wouldn’t know with it just looking like a normal stinger softspike

That makes sense, I noticed at the Valspar a couple years ago how manyade the tell tale noise.

A lot more guys wear them than you’d think, but you wouldn’t know with it just looking like a normal stinger softspike

I’m actually kind of shocked some of the younger guys wear them, because not many courses have allowed it much for a while it seems. Must be other tour players telling them they are better or something

I’m actually kind of shocked some of the younger guys wear them, because not many courses have allowed it much for a while it seems. Must be other tour players telling them they are better or something

I mean.. I know I want a set just for nostalgia purposes. But, yeah I'm pretty sure a course would be like uhh sir, you need to change your shoes right now.

They sound so good, although they were pretty much outlawed by the time that I started playing.

I've heard it on a few broadcasts too so the individual courses must allow them. They can't do more damage than the grandstands, right?

They sound so good, although they were pretty much outlawed by the time that I started playing.

I've heard it on a few broadcasts too so the individual courses must allow them. They can't do more damage than the grandstands, right?

I think there's an unspoken rule that pros aren't gonna shuffle and drag their feet and jack up the greens. Amateurs, hahahahaa yeah right. NO chance it ends anything other than poorly.

I think there's an unspoken rule that pros aren't gonna shuffle and drag their feet and jack up the greens. Amateurs, hahahahaa yeah right. NO chance it ends anything other than poorly.

Other than Furyk. He’s gotta go spikeless cause he loves to shuffle.

Other than Furyk. He’s gotta go spikeless cause he loves to shuffle.

Oh, fair point. And Keegan. Those two might wreck a green or two.

My dad wore them when I was a kid. All I can think of when I hear that noise is unloading our clubs out of his 300zx when I was around 7.

That's kind of my thinking as well, courses will make exception's for the Pro's. There is not a golf course within a 100 miles of me that allow metal spikes. At least the 25 courses that I have played. I would wear them for sure if it was allowed.

There was a row a few years ago.

Vijay Singh got the hump with Michelson in the locker room, allegedly nearly came to blows. Singh maintaining that Michelson had spiked up a green.
Michelson pointed out that that particular spike pattern wasn’t his and was in fact Darren Clarke’s (who was a good mate of Vijay)
That’s how I remember it being reported anyway.

That's kind of my thinking as well, courses will make exception's for the Pro's. There is not a golf course within a 100 miles of me that allow metal spikes. At least the 25 courses that I have played. I would wear them for sure if it was allowed.

I remember when Soft Spikes were first made available. Golf course managers immediately recognized that (by eliminating metal spikes) they could save money on course and club house maintenance costs, so they forbid metal spikes.

Back