Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

I cannot wait to get out with these again this week, on my home course(s) they should be freaking lethal. Looking back I really wish I'd hit them more last week at #TheGrandaddy.

Perfect replacement gap-wise for my 4i and 5i.

Lefty is now rocking the Apex hybrid! #InPhilWeTrust
6cffd09ecb526e1d0d9608ce260dcca9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I am too. That means through osmosis, I am like Phil. Unless you meant Lefty Ethan or Scotty G.

I want to try these. I really like the looks of them.

Most fun with a hybrid I have had on the course in a long time. I purposely dropped extra balls on a few holes yesterday just so I could get to hit these more. Truly iron-esque turf interaction for me because of the profile and the size also makes, me swing it like an iron which is something I really do need. Better yet, I hit the 4i a good bit off the tee and its a legitimate threat there for me when I need that 210-215 yard shot.

Paired with the Fuji shafts I saw a peak height on my monitor yesterday of right about 29 yards but better yet the descent angle was ideal for holding greens. They're seriously as versatile as an iron for me, but with the added playability of a hybrid.

I'm seriously surprised, thats no exaggeration, some may think its homerism, but these are simply damn good hybrids.

For those gaming these, are you not seeing distance increases? I've only demoed them on indoor monitors but the added distance I was seeing I would have to go 1club down. For example, if I wanted a 3h in regards to distance I would have to hit the 4h. Make sense?

For those gaming these, are you not seeing distance increases? I've only demoed them on indoor monitors but the added distance I was seeing I would have to go 1club down. For example, if I wanted a 3h in regards to distance I would have to hit the 4h. Make sense?

Not really for me. Well, when comparing them to their iron counterpart yes. But the control and ball flight I am getting is perfection for me.

Yes I'm seeing an increase in distance but that also happens to be because I'm hitting the ball better and more consistent with the apex vs the 4i / hybrid I had in use before.

They're direct iron replacements for me unlike my XR where I did have to go up in loft to fit my gaps (I played a 6hy for my 5i and a 5hy for my 4i in those).

How are these in regards to the x2hot's? I picked up a 3&4 on a whim and absolutely love them as I can make an "iron" swing with them. Seems like these are very similar.

How are these in regards to the x2hot's? I picked up a 3&4 on a whim and absolutely love them as I can make an "iron" swing with them. Seems like these are very similar.

Much smaller profile than the X2H at address, less beef. X2H are freaking really really good hybos too.

Much smaller profile than the X2H at address, less beef. X2H are freaking really really good hybos too.

Cool. Getting fit for CF16 next Monday so hopefully my fitter has some lefty's for me to check out too. Wondering if my 3&4 x2hot will fit with the CF16's.

DSC_0673-L.jpg

DSC_0674-L.jpg

DSC_0675-L.jpg

DSC_0676-L.jpg

So. Much. YES.

That's looks bada$$ Jman.

I will be hoping to get with my fitter later this week and try to figure out shaft for this bad boy

My 5 hybrid finally made it to the shop (used MGA winnings to pay for it) so I can pick it up tomorrow. Playing a 3 club tourney on Saturday and have to decide to play the Apex 4 or 5 in it......either way the Apex hybrid will get one hell of a workout, can't think of a much better test to see the versatility this one offers.

My 5 hybrid finally made it to the shop (used MGA winnings to pay for it) so I can pick it up tomorrow. Playing a 3 club tourney on Saturday and have to decide to play the Apex 4 or 5 in it......either way the Apex hybrid will get one hell of a workout, can't think of a much better test to see the versatility this one offers.

Its a solid one Cookie. It gave me the ability to take the 4 out of my bag. I can muscle the 5 hybrid to get it there if I need to. I dont find myself 195 out too often (although it did happen at the Grandaddy) but can work around it if necessary.

Its a solid one Cookie. It gave me the ability to take the 4 out of my bag. I can muscle the 5 hybrid to get it there if I need to. I dont find myself 195 out too often (although it did happen at the Grandaddy) but can work around it if necessary.

I've been playing the 4 and have definitely enjoyed it and was able to take some off to let it cover the 5 gap but that's not a good long term solution.

Still adapting to what I will call a fade bias club as I'm so used to hitting draws with hybrids....until now.

I haven't had to step on the 4 as I love my X2H 3h, but this 3 club tourney will undoubtedly require me to step on and off some shots.

I want to get out more with this club before giving too much feedback, because honestly I didn't get to hit it much at the Grandaddy because I just didn't get that yardage too often. What I can say is that when I put a good swing on it, this hybrid goes high and far. At ECPC I was bombing this thing, high with a baby fade (needed to be bent 1 up to get it to dead straight). However, when I miss I see a pretty good slice. To me, the small profile of the club doesn't promote the confidence that I'm used to when looking down at my mini-FW sized hybrids, and that's obviously a mental thing for me, but I need some more time with it to really tell myself that I can hit this club. I don't know that I can say that it's the most forgiving club out there, but for it's profile it really has more forgiveness than I'd expect, and I do think better ball strikers will gain a lot from this hybrid.
Thanks for this feedback Neb. Having started my CF16's at the 5 iron, I'll be looking to pick up a 4 hybrid. I'm thinking these are a bit above my paygrade.

I know PhillyV went with the XR hybrid, but he kills the ball. I am wondering if any one with a slower swing speed went with anything other than the Apex.

Thanks for this feedback Neb. Having started my CF16's at the 5 iron, I'll be looking to pick up a 4 hybrid. I'm thinking these are a bit above my paygrade.

I know PhillyV went with the XR hybrid, but he kills the ball. I am wondering if any one with a slower swing speed went with anything other than the Apex.

CAA, this is completely a guess on my part, but I wonder if you'll know more about an upcoming Callaway hybrid that's not as iron-like as the Apex after the PGA Show. What I mean is either an XR replacement or an upgrade on that club. Also, FWIW, the Big Bertha 815 hybrid isn't listed on Callaway's site anymore in the hybrid section, maybe a replacement is coming for that model.

My 2 hybrid will be here tomorrow I can't wait to get it out on the course and test it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CAA, this is completely a guess on my part, but I wonder if you'll know more about an upcoming Callaway hybrid that's not as iron-like as the Apex after the PGA Show. What I mean is either an XR replacement or an upgrade on that club. Also, FWIW, the Big Bertha 815 hybrid isn't listed on Callaway's site anymore in the hybrid section, maybe a replacement is coming for that model.

Along Arys thinking. The big bertha hybrid is easy to hit and launch with pretty good forgiveness. If you are looking for a hybrid this may be the one to consider. Or if looking for some confidence a heavenwood or divine 9

To my knowledge, there is no XR hybrid replacement/upgrade.

I will have more on this soon but it is so good. The sound, the launch, the feel. Callaway hit a home run with this thing in my opinion

My 2 hybrid will be here tomorrow I can't wait to get it out on the course and test it out.

It's so good. That's coming from a guy that's bagged a 3 iron for this whole past season. The apex hybrid made me go from 0 to 3 hybrids

It's so good. That's coming from a guy that's bagged a 3 iron for this whole past season. The apex hybrid made me go from 0 to 3 hybrids
Just looking for a 2-3 iron replacement don't know that I will be replacing a 4 or 5 iron ever. Stranger things have happened though

Back