2018 Player of the Year

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
Right now we have 3 players who each have 3 wins, DJ, JT, and Bubba. Molinari has 2 wins, 1 being a Major. Obviously the PGA Champ next week and Fedex Cup could change things, but right now, who is your pick?

DJ: Tournament of Champions, Fedex St Jude, RBC Canadian

JT: CJ Cup, Honda Classic, WGC Bridgestone

Bubba: Genesis (Riviera), WGC Match Play, Travelers

Molinari: The Open, Quicken Loans

DJ is only one of four other golfers in the history of the modern game to have 3 wins in each of 3 consecutive seasons. That kind of landmark achievement makes him a shoe in.

Unless JT wins the Fed Ex Cup. If JT wins, he will be the only player to win back to back Fed Ex Cups. Then he gets it for sure.

Still kinda early to tell for me. Last year and the year before don't matter, it's all about what have you done for me lately.

Molinari has the major on the year while the other three don't, and he did it in a pretty filthy fashion over the weekend.

Next week and the Playoffs are gonna answer the POTY question and that's about as good as the PGA Tour could ask for.

DJ is only one of four other golfers in the history of the modern game to have 3 wins in 3 consecutive seasons. That kind of landmark achievement makes him a shoe in.

Unless JT or Bubba win the Fed Ex Cup. If JT wins, he will be the only player to win back to back Fed Ex Cups. Then he gets it for sure.

JT has 8 wins in the last 2 years. That's Tiger-like.

Personally on this year only I'd rank them

1. Bubba
2. JT
3. DJ

Think Bubba's quality of wins is the best, including the WGC Match Play where he absolutely blitzed the field. Genesis is a big tourney to win too.

Still kinda early to tell for me. Last year and the year before don't matter, it's all about what have you done for me lately.

Molinari has the major on the year while the other three don't, and he did it in a pretty filthy fashion over the weekend.

Next week and the Playoffs are gonna answer the POTY question and that's about as good as the PGA Tour could ask for.

Not only do previous years not matter, if Pat Reed, wins next week or again this year, he has a chance as well. Majors still carry the most weight. Same for a couple of others.

Achievements matter, though. DJ has done something this year that put him in very high regard.

Achievements matter, though.

According to who? Nothing saying DJ won't win but that is twice you have said its about achievements and I am really curious where that comes from.

Not only do previous years not matter, if Pat Reed, wins next week or again this year, he has a chance as well. Majors still carry the most weight. Same for a couple of others.

Exactly on PReed and even Koepka. They each need one more win though to get in the conversation, but one hot putter over the weekend and they're right in the conversation. Heck, all three major winners have done it in a pretty solid fashion. Molinari's was a bit under the radar as far as being a serious major contender, but he's been on such a hot streak the past 2 months or so that he just took that momentum and ran with it. Kinda makes next week interesting with JT playing some good golf again as of late.

Same for Koepka or Molinari. Any one that wins 2 majors I think takes it down.

Majors still carry the most weight.

So one Major and one other win trumps three wins in every season for the last three years? Something only 3 (or is it 4) other golfers have done. That isn't Player of the Year worthy? I would think that's huge.

Now if Reed wins the PGA, that would make sense. But otherwise, I can't see him in the mix.

Same for Koepka or Molinari. Any one that wins 2 majors I think takes it down.

Agreed. Mward is right too. Its a long shot, but it does feel as though people forget he won the Masters. Just has not followed it up.
I am one that does not think all wins are created equally, especially some of the early year stuff.

Achievements matter, though. DJ has done something this year that put him in very high regard.

It's player of the year not the most achieved player of the past 2 or more. WGC better than regular tour stops and just behind majors.

So one Major and one other win trumps three wins in every season for the last three years? Something only 3 (or is it 4) other golfers have done. That isn't Player of the Year worthy? I would think that's huge.

Now if Reed wins the PGA, that would make sense. But otherwise, I can't see him in the mix.

I didnt really say that though...haha
I asked where it says achievements matter, because you had said it in two threads now.
Its not taking away from winning 3 times, which DJ has done and its impressive. Im just not sure how his previous 2 years have any relevance. Especially with how the voting is done.

They matter to the media to write a story. The players don't even know or pay attention to that stuff. Here's what they see on the ballot: wins, finishes, and maybe scoring average? @JB have you ever randomly seen the ballot just in passing to know what else is included after just wins and finishes?

According to who? Nothing saying DJ won't win but that is twice you have said its about achievements and I am really curious where that comes from.

Well according to you, previous year's achievements don't matter. I would think that getting into an exclusive club of only 3 or 4 other golfers would trump winning a major and one other win. Especially with three wins in one season. So if three have 3 wins in one season, but one has done it each of the previous 2 seasons and is one of only 4 others, that doesn't qualify as an achievement this year?

Is there a list of what is taken into consideration by the players or the PGA when they vote?

They matter to the media to write a story. The players don't even know or pay attention to that stuff. Here's what they see on the ballot: wins, finishes, and maybe scoring average? @JB have you ever randomly seen the ballot just in passing to know what else is included after just wins and finishes?

Years ago we talked to a player about it. Its a flawed system for sure, but I didnt really hear anything after those two things.
Although certainly not an expert source here, as the information was given to us by Sneds in passing.

It's player of the year not the most achieved player of the past 2 or more. WGC better than regular tour stops and just behind majors.

I think I am miscommunicating. He achieved the landmark this year. The fact that he won three times this year put him in that exclusive club. He gets put into that club this year. His achievement is this year. See?

Years ago we talked to a player about it. Its a flawed system for sure, but I didnt really hear anything after those two things.
Although certainly not an expert source here, as the information was given to us by Sneds in passing.

Fair enough, I knew wins and finishes for sure would be on there. I just wasn't sure if the PGA Tour kinda throws another thing or two in there just to pad the ballot stats a bit. Not that these guys really need it. POTY really doesn't seem to have too much drama unlike Rookie of the Year. That one seems to always have a couple guys where it could go either way.

So you don't know either?

Fair enough, I knew wins and finishes for sure would be on there. I just wasn't sure if the PGA Tour kinda throws another thing or two in there just to pad the ballot stats a bit. Not that these guys really need it. POTY really doesn't seem to have too much drama unlike Rookie of the Year. That one seems to always have a couple guys where it could go either way.

Just wait until Bubba steals Comeback Player of the Year from Tiger....

So you don't know either?

What counts? Votes on how they view a player fared for the wrap around season.
He asked if I knew what results were written on the ballot.

Just wait until Bubba steals Comeback Player of the Year from Tiger....

Brooks Koepka is on line 1 for you, sir. He has a bone to pick with you.

*They phased out Comeback Player of the Year a few years ago, I think right after Stricker won it back to back years. That would be a pretty fun discussion actually between those three, and why everyone else is wrong when they pick anyone other than TW :angel:

I think I am miscommunicating. He achieved the landmark this year. The fact that he won three times this year put him in that exclusive club. He gets put into that club this year. His achievement is this year. See?

That’s still a career achievement and means nothing for this year. If he wins 3x next year and someone wins 3 with a major or wgc their year is still better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks Koepka is on line 1 for you, sir. He has a bone to pick with you.

*They phased out Comeback Player of the Year a few years ago, I think right after Stricker won it back to back years. That would be a pretty fun discussion actually between those three, and why everyone else is wrong when they pick anyone other than TW :angel:

Damn, was looking forward to that drama. It would have been a lock once TW wins the PGA next week

That’s still a career achievement and means nothing for this year. If he wins 3x next year and someone wins 3 with a major or wgc their year is still better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Spieth makes the Career Grand Slam next weekend, that wouldn't put him in the running?

Back