Kohler, WI - Playing All 4 courses 8/10 to 8/12

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Planning to post some pics and experiences from my trip to Kohler this coming weekend. I’ve been fortunate to get an invite for an incredible trip to Kohler. I’m extremely excited to visit the area and play the great courses. I will get to play all four courses. Playing 18 on Friday, 36 on Saturday and the final 18 at Whistling Straights on Sunday.

I was actually asked to attend this trip last year, but my mother passed away one year to the day tomorrow and I had to back out of the trip.

If anyone has any thoughts or tips for my trip, would be great to receive them. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I'm squealing "OMG how lucky can you get". Enjoy
:banana:

Cheese Curds!!!!!! You are gonna have a great time.. Lots of pics!!!!
I often miss WI until I remember what the winters where/are like sometimes.

Playing the Straits and Black Wolf Run for the first time this fall, so I may be asking you!

I'd definitely recommend brunch at the American Club and some cheese curds at The Horse & Plow.

Have fun!

Playing the Straits and Black Wolf Run for the first time this fall, so I may be asking you!

I'd definitely recommend brunch at the American Club and some cheese curds at The Horse & Plow.

Have fun!

Horse and Plow is on the agenda for Thursday night dinner and drinks.
Friday is the River Wildlife Lodge
Saturday is The Immigrant

Strong agenda! The Immigrant is a great restaurant but the booze is $$. My one time there I did end up back at the Horse & Plow for post-dinner drinks.

My normal group has talked about making this trip before, be good to see photos and stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Strong agenda! The Immigrant is a great restaurant but the booze is $$. My one time there I did end up back at the Horse & Plow for post-dinner drinks.

Lucky for me then, as the bill won’t be coming my way!!!

If you're a beer man, got to try some Spotted Cow on tap!

If you happen to have time for an extra round... Drive a little south to Sheboygan and play The Bull. It's a fantastic Jack Nicklaus course. You won't regret it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you happen to have time for an extra round... Drive a little south to Sheboygan and play The Bull. It's a fantastic Jack Nicklaus course. You won't regret it.

Thank you!!! Sadly my agenda is packed, but t greatly appreciate the kind suggestion.

Thank you!!! Sadly my agenda is packed, but t greatly appreciate the kind suggestion.

No problem! You're going to have an amazing time. Keep an eye on the weather. I've played up there when it's been 80 one day and 55 the next. Or when they said it was going to be 70 and it never hit 60. The lake does interesting things to the weather.

Enjoy the trip. My Dad and I played Black Wolf Run and Whistling Straits years ago and had an absolute blast. Agreed on the Spotted Cow, it was quite good. Don't worry much about your score, just take in the scenery and experience and take lots of photos.

You are going to LOVE it. I had the pleasure of playing there a couple years ago. We played Blackwolf Run - River course and Whistling Straits - Straits course while we were there. We played in the Kohler Fall Classic they have at the end of October.

By far, Blackwolf Run was the hardest of the two. It is straight up target golf at its best. Errant shots will cost you dearly here. To score well here, you really have to have all facets of your game clicking. Like mentioned above we played in October so the leaves were changing and falling. It was beautiful. The course runs along the river so usually you have the faint noise of water rolling.

Picture quality isn't the best. Don't remember what hole this was but you can see the river left. Right over all the brown grass was berms and hills that really penalized one if hit there.

orngVSQ.jpg

Again, sorry for the picture quality. This hole was called "Heaven". The picture doesn't do it justice. The bunker right is DEEP and the green is really elevated. Its a tough hole.

ClQAK3F.jpg

This hole was called "Hells Gate". VERY little room to miss.

ByFxyya.jpg

Here is #18. It is shared with the other course there. When I was getting ready for my approach I looked down at my GPS watch and it said 240 to the hole. I looked back up, back down, back up and was like there is no way its 240. I did it the old fashioned way by the fairway markers and laid up (I think it was a par 5). When we turned the corner as you see it was a split green with the other course and my GPS was picking up the other pin.

0VXdxoB.jpg

Played Straights course the next day. I was fortunate to play decently well there and played 18 with one ball. I realized I was still playing the same ball I teed off with when on 16 my caddy tossed the ball back to me on the green after cleaning it and I looked down and go "wow, this is the same ball iv been playing with all day" I didn't tell the group and I knew if I did I would add to the water level of Lake Michigan on the next shot. I ended up with an 86, 48 on the front and 38 on the back. This is the truth, visually it will get in your head. But if you trust your target and your caddy its really not too bad. The par 3's is what will really get into your head. But like I said if you trust your target and ask your caddy where the bail is if you need it you will be fine. Where I struggled on the front nine was putting. The greens are very undulating and I was very timid leaving putts short and leaving myself with a long 2nd putt resulting in 3 putts. My caddy finally said aim here and get the ball here (about 2 feet past the hole). He said, I don't care if you roll it by 4 feet just get it to the hole. Then on, I was making and nestling the ball up to the hole on the first putt hence why my score was so much better on the back.

E192K6P.jpg

Par 3, it looks longer than the picture reveals. Over the round bunker on the right the green opens up behind that. You wouldn't know it unless your caddy tells you the or you get up to the green and see it. He told me your bail is right over that bunker if you need it. And it does

LiQAoFF.jpg

Here is approach on #9. Clubhouse obviously in the rear, and #18 pin to the right. (18 is a MF BTW) I was in the bunker to the right of the green (thank god) and had an easy up and down for par. This was the start of my round actually when I turned things around.

8zx2Utm.jpg

This par 3 is called "Shipwreck". If you see to the right the little strip sand beach there by the water?

VGN6pUu.jpg

My buddy hit a slice 5 iron down there and actually got up and down for a par. It was probably the coolest shot iv seen. When he hit it I thought it was going wet. He grabs a couple clubs and goes "well wish me luck" and meanders down there. He said after he made his par that he told himself don't chunk it and don't leave it short. Get it up the hill to the green or past it if anything. Well he did lol

Q3Z6dyy.jpg

Its a freakin blast man. Again, if you can get over the visual intimidation of the Straits course and trust your caddy you can score there.

First of all, sorry to hear about your mother's passing.

I don't have any tips other than to enjoy the hell out of it and get us as many pics and updates as possible. I'm heading out that way in 5 weeks so anything I can learn from you would be great!

Sounds like you have it pretty dialed. Congrats on the trip. I look forward to the pics and hearing about your experience! Great time of year to be up there!

Yes D, you need to try the spotted cow! Have a blast my friend! At least now we’ll be in the same time zone, when your send our group messages. I can’t wait for the details!!

The Straits gets all the press (and deservedly so, imo) but the Irish course is just as good, sans views of Lake Michigan.

Also, forget Spotted Cow. There are so many other FANTASTIC local options, despite the hype-machine that is Spotted Cow.

3 Sheeps' Waterslides IPA tastes especially good in the upstairs pub following a round.

Have fun and enjoy the hell out of this trip.

About to get on my flight...wheels up!

Have a great time.

81df40fa9d3e6ecc50cf7ce38c1e001f.jpg

Travel pic....

5b56abde69af73812e6ca22c35b19bf0.jpg

Driver with a sweet Volvo T5....nice car....

fb18029f773ee5a46b58d323c0cb50ac.jpg

Lots o farms on the way out of MileeewalkAAAA...

587f15420fe70f5a9e3c181f1e883385.jpg

I found him!!!!

Back