The neutral grip.

rocullen

Reaction score
I've watched about 6 random youtube videos on the neutral grip. None of them touched on what I think "neutral grip means"

All of them say to line the V's up with your right shoulder(for righties). Maybe, maybe not.

To me a real neutral grip is a grip when at address the clubface is square to the target line. When you do a forward press, still at address, simulating the the hands forward at impact, the club face stays square. No more, no less. If it lines up with the V's you're golden, but sometimes it may not.

Moved to golf talk forum

I've watched about 6 random youtube videos on the neutral grip. None of them touched on what I think "neutral grip means"

All of them say to line the V's up with your right shoulder(for righties). Maybe, maybe not.

To me a real neutral grip is a grip when at address the clubface is square to the target line. When you do a forward press, still at address, simulating the the hands forward at impact, the club face stays square. No more, no less. If it lines up with the V's you're golden, but sometimes it may not.

One can manipulate their wrists to make any grip technique achieve a "square club face at address" and , or, "square club face with forward press at address".
I believe a "neutral grip" is one where (for a right handed player) the player may see 1.5" to 2 knuckles of his left hand at address.
If he sees one knuckle or less of his left hand, that's a weak grip.
If he sees more than 2 knuckles, that's a strong grip.
Regrading the "v's", the significant difference I notice is that most Tour pros have no gap between the bases of their thumbs and forefingers (this is true for both the left and right hand), but most amateurs have a gap.

the idea is they're are square in BOTH positions. Or you induce hook or draw when the clubface is different than at address or static position.

The grip position and the face position are not necessarily tied together. Zack Johnson has a very strong grip, where his left hand is rotated to the right on the grip of the club. His club face is still pointed at the target.

Imagine the grip of the club as an axle. Your hands are a wheel that can rotate around that axle. The club face doesn't move from the target line as your hands find either a strong, neutral, or weak grip.

Ok guys, just run a simple experiment.

With a strong grip, line the club face up square for address. The do a forward press as if your wrist is bowed at impact or even just flat., like the majority of good players do, leaving your club soled like at address. You WILL see the clubface close.

Now try a neutral grip or close to it. The clubface, if you achieved YOUR neutral grip will stay square to the target line just delofted. If it doesn't, then adjust the position a bit either way and try again until it stays square. That is YOUR neutral grip.

That's one reason someone who thinks he is swinging inside out and probably is still gets a pull/hook.

the idea is they're are square in BOTH positions. Or you induce hook or draw when the clubface is different than at address or static position.

A square club face to the target will still cut or draw unless the path is zeroed out

I honestly take the grip that is comfortable and then adjust the face at address through turning the club but not the grip. No need to overthink it imo.

A square club face to the target will still cut or draw unless the path is zeroed out

I honestly take the grip that is comfortable and then adjust the face at address through turning the club but not the grip. No need to overthink it imo.

yeah, I see a lot of good players play with an open face at setup.

Let's be clear, I'm not telling or suggesting anyone go to the neutral grip. All I am saying is "check" it if you think you are playing a neutral grip, it might not be. If the club face opens or closes when in the dynamic state of hitting the ball it can induce all kinds of different flight.

Last edited:
Back