Exactly What Company is Thomas In?

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Just saw a tweet from the Euro tour..

Nine wins, a Major and a WGC before their 26th birthday.

• Tiger Woods
• Rory McIlroy
• Justin Thomas

That's it.

I'm sure the same talk came up with Rory back in the day, but as of right now, what do you think of this? Does Thomas get a real nod here for the start of a 'special' career?

At this point, I gotta put him in the same category as a bunch of other players that haven't hit that transcendent position. He's a really good player, and I think it's interesting that his career looks like DJ had he won a major earlier, IMO. He got over the hump sooner, but there's no je ne sais quoi about JT to me. He's a really good golfer. There's a ton of really good golfers his age. It's hard to anything about him that makes him stick out from the pack.

This might sound silly, but right now the guys with one or two majors are kinda less interesting to me than the guys trying to break through and win their first.

Just saw a tweet from the Euro tour..

Nine wins, a Major and a WGC before their 26th birthday.

• Tiger Woods
• Rory McIlroy
• Justin Thomas

That's it.

I'm sure the same talk came up with Rory back in the day, but as of right now, what do you think of this? Does Thomas get a real nod here for the start of a 'special' career?

Good question.
I ponder on how long JT can keep it going by swinging as hard-all-out as he does at the ball, because historically those type swingers do suffer from consistency issues.
That said, what he's accomplished to date is incredible. JT's not "afraid to win" that's for sure.

At this point, I gotta put him in the same category as a bunch of other players that haven't hit that transcendent position. He's a really good player, and I think it's interesting that his career looks like DJ had he won a major earlier, IMO. He got over the hump sooner, but there's no je ne sais quoi about JT to me. He's a really good golfer. There's a ton of really good golfers his age. It's hard to anything about him that makes him stick out from the pack.

This might sound silly, but right now the guys with one or two majors are kinda less interesting to me than the guys trying to break through and win their first.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this. Maybe my opinion on JT will change in the future, but for now he's just another player at the top tier of the PGA tour.

I get tired of these mindless statistics across all sports (e.g. Brett Favre was 14-0 when playing at home, and the air temperature was below 23.2°F while the majority of fans in section 44 had worn yellow hats to the game.)

Good question.
I ponder on how long JT can keep it going by swinging as hard-all-out as he does at the ball, because historically those type swingers do suffer from consistency issues.
That said, what he's accomplished to date is incredible. JT's not "afraid to win" that's for sure.

I'd love to see some swing gurus in here talking about his ability to maintain it (and then eventually alter it) and how it would impact his game.

I get tired of these mindless statistics across all sports (e.g. Brett Favre was 14-0 when playing at home, and the air temperature was below 23.2°F while the majority of fans in section 44 had worn yellow hats to the game.)

Agree with this, but, wins are wins. No talk about home field or air temp here.

Right, but number of wins, no matter what the category, before a certain age mean absolutely nothing.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

"Wins before a certain age" means something to me (and most fans of pro golf, I would think).
If a player's success is not measured by wins then what other criteria would one use ?

"Wins before a certain age" means something to me (and most fans of pro golf, I would think).
If a player's success is not measured by wins then what other criteria would one use ?
So wins after a certain age don't matter to you? I'm a fan of all things golf. I'm not going to turn my nose up at tiger's next win because it wasn't before a certain age....

Right, but number of wins, no matter what the category, before a certain age mean absolutely nothing.

But they're wins. Historically, the golfers on tour who have success when they're in their early and mid 20s tend to have very good careers. Early success is not a predeterminer for long lasting success, but it is a hint.

But they're wins. Historically, the golfers on tour who have success when they're in their early and mid 20s tend to have very good careers. Early success is not a predeterminer for long lasting success, but it is a hint.
Absolutely! 9 wins is a hell of an accomplishment whether you're 26 or 46. I hope he goes on to do great things, but for now he's just a good player in my eyes.

So wins after a certain age don't matter to you? I'm a fan of all things golf. I'm not going to turn my nose up at tiger's next win because it wasn't before a certain age....

Yes, wins "before a certain age " are just as impressive as "wins after a certain age". Really what matters (to evaluate a playing career) are the number of wins, regardless of age.
But for JT to have won as much as he has this early in his career puts him in a very prestigious club and worthy of praise.

Yes, wins "before a certain age " are just as impressive as "wins after a certain age". Really what matters (to evaluate a playing career) are the number of wins, regardless of age.
But for JT to have won as much as he has this early in his career puts him in a very prestigious club and worthy of praise.
Definitely. I'm just saying that there's no telling if he'll have a truly stellar career.

Definitely. I'm just saying that there's no telling if he'll have a truly stellar career.

9 wins, a major, a WGC and having been ranked #1 in the world, pretty darn good career. Everything else from here is gravy.

I'd love to see some swing gurus in here talking about his ability to maintain it (and then eventually alter it) and how it would impact his game.

Pretty interesting comparison photos here from a "swing guru":

9 wins, a major, a WGC and having been ranked #1 in the world, pretty darn good career. Everything else from here is gravy.
Puts him in a pretty unique class. Definitely not saying he's not a grade a talent. Put comparing him to Tiger and Rory is premature.

Puts him in a pretty unique class. Definitely not saying he's not a grade a talent. Put comparing him to Tiger and Rory is premature.

I take it as less a comparison as an objective statement of fact. He, Tiger and Rory are the only players to accomplish said feat by said age.

What he does from here is all on him but he's given himself a (historically) great start to a still young and promising career.

One important note is that the WGC only began 18 or so years ago.

I think Thomas will continue to win and impress. His game has no gimmick and he isnt super dependent on any one part of his game.

For now I think hes still one step below Rory and Spieth, but I wouldnt be shocked if he gets to their level before their careers end.

Wow. I knew he was off to a solid starr. Didn’t know it was that good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s got some good competition so it’s tough to dominate but you would have to say he is a top 5 favorite to win most tournaments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no doubt he is a very talented young man. His pedigree is also something to consider.

Funny enough, his success is somewhat socioeconomic. Not everyone can afford to have their son play Golf from when he could walk and also since his father and grandfather were both Professional Golfers, he didn't have to pay for lessons, either. Yes, I realize there were others with success who didn't have those advantages, but that doesn't minimize them, either.

I agree, he's off to a great start for a special career. IMO, clearly the POY thus far...

I think what separates Thomas is his all or nothing mentality. He is successful, he his rich at this point so his desire to chase wins above all else is what separates him from most of his contemporaries.

He's got an impressive record. But the categories feel a little cherry picked to me to benefit him in this discussion. Spieth and Rory's majors and win totals by an early age are the standard for this generation of golfers, IMO.

Back