Bushnel neo XS gps watch

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I remembered there was a write-up on this when it first came out here on THP. But its been some time and just got one the other day.
I had a bushnell yardage pro xgc handheld device (actually still do). But on its second battery and time for a 3rd and also a cracked screen. And just thought the ease of a wrist watch would just be more convenient. I lose the in-color aerial view the yardage pro offered but most all my rounds are on the same of 5 courses which I know well enough anyway.

So I just wanted to know fom those that used or still use the XS watch or even the prior model. What you think of it?

Of course now that I made the switch to my new device, Bushnel is soon coming out with a newer version which I just found out from Bushnel. So that's kind of annoying part about it but what can ya do and its not being released yet anyway.
$114 from amazon was (ibelieve a good deal) so its my new device for the foreseeable future.

I really like my Neo XS.

I just picked up an apple watch last week, but assuming the apple watch apps are as underwhelming as I expect them to be the Bushnell will still be my golfing go to.

I really like my Neo XS.

I just picked up an apple watch last week, but assuming the apple watch apps are as underwhelming as I expect them to be the Bushnell will still be my golfing go to.

Yea, Im not looking for apps or phone sync-ups or whatever have you. I always liked my yardage pro but just getting tired of grabbing it where as this will be on my wrist. the phone app gps's are good to like "golfshot" etc but again I figure why not just have it one the wrist. The only thing I will miss especially if ever on a new course is an aerial view. But even then there is still always the phone app if needed.

One of the very few flaws of the yardage pro was that sometimes it would offer yardage and then be slow to change. For example I might have a posted 140 yrd shot at first glance and so then grab my 9i and end up 110 to 15 yrds short after a well hit ball and then see that the device now says that its actually 152 yrds. So it would occasionally take a bit of time to catch up to itself as you arrive at the next shot. This was far more the rare than the norm but it was beginning to do this a bit more often and a tad too much for my liking.

I have the Neo-X and I love it. Like you said, it's nice not having to fumble with anything, just look at my wrist and go. I can get 2 rounds out of the battery before I have to re-charge, maybe 3 if it's a couple of quick rounds. Accuracy seems very good also. Whenever this one gives out I will go with another Bushnell.

Yea, Im not looking for apps or phone sync-ups or whatever have you. I always liked my yardage pro but just getting tired of grabbing it where as this will be on my wrist. the phone app gps's are good to like "golfshot" etc but again I figure why not just have it one the wrist. The only thing I will miss especially if ever on a new course is an aerial view. But even then there is still always the phone app if needed.

One of the very few flaws of the yardage pro was that sometimes it would offer yardage and then be slow to change. For example I might have a posted 140 yrd shot at first glance and so then grab my 9i and end up 110 to 15 yrds short after a well hit ball and then see that the device now says that its actually 152 yrds. So it would occasionally take a bit of time to catch up to itself as you arrive at the next shot. This was far more the rare than the norm but it was beginning to do this a bit more often and a tad too much for my liking.

Yes, exactly!

Even with an apple watch, I'm not sure it'll be good enough to replace my Neo XS.

I have a Neo XS and an Apple Watch. I wear the apple watch and attach the Neo to my push cart. Neo XS is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the Neo XS for over 150 rounds and it is solid. I wear it as my everyday watch and still looks perfect. No charging issues and I can get 2 full rounds on a charge. It has all the features I need - measures distance, recognizes courses, some hazards, odometer, time of round, front/middle/back.

Satisfied Neo XS user here. I've posted my thoughts on it in a couple of other threads. The only downside IMO is that if you get the version with the dark display background, it's crystal clear outdoors (especially in bright sunlight) but hard to read indoors.

thanks all so far. of course ill have to get use to it.

I don't see an auto advance choice though the instructions says it has one. Do you have to start a round and be on the course in order to be asked of the option? becuae its not in the general settings that I can tell.

Also it says as just a time watch it will last a year (or two) without recharge but was wondering if suppose you had it sitting for a few weeks as just a watch and then head out to play. For example mine is fully charged right now and sitting as a time watch. If I went out to play a week from now would I have charge it. I would assume a week from now would probably still read full charge since just sitting as a wtch right now.

thanks all so far. of course ill have to get use to it.

I don't see an auto advance choice though the instructions says it has one. Do you have to start a round and be on the course in order to be asked of the option? becuae its not in the general settings that I can tell.

Also it says as just a time watch it will last a year (or two) without recharge but was wondering if suppose you had it sitting for a few weeks as just a watch and then head out to play. For example mine is fully charged right now and sitting as a time watch. If I went out to play a week from now would I have charge it. I would assume a week from now would probably still read full charge since just sitting as a wtch right now.

First, I agree with kenh on the background. I originally had the dark/black background and it was really hard to read the display indoors. I switched to the white watch with light background and it is easy to see indoors or outdoors.

I will have to check on the auto advance between holes. Mine does this but I cannot remember having to set it up. All you do is select "play golf" when you get to the course and it starts seeking GPS satellites. When it locks on it beeps and you select course from the nearby courses that are shown. The course you are at will be first on the list. In the watch mode I think you can go a really long time between charges and it does not drain much at all. After a week I bet you would still have full charge, but you can always check battery strength anytime on the watch.

Been using one for better part of 1.5 years. Love the watch. Great product.

Had mine for a year now and don't like to play without it. Even on a course with well marked yardages, it is nice to be able to measure drives or know how far out you are if you find yourself in the wrong fairway.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had mine for nearly two seasons and wouldn't be without it, in fact if I forget it I feel a little lost even on my home course.
I can easily get two rounds out of a charge and it usually moves quite happily from hole to hole. I've put mine on silent (no beeps) as i had a tendency for it to beep during my swing think it was a little loose on my wrist.
I would happily recommend this to anyone.

I've had mine for nearly two seasons and wouldn't be without it, in fact if I forget it I feel a little lost even on my home course.
I can easily get two rounds out of a charge and it usually moves quite happily from hole to hole. I've put mine on silent (no beeps) as i had a tendency for it to beep during my swing think it was a little loose on my wrist.
I would happily recommend this to anyone.

a question asked earlier. How did you set the auto hole advance feature?

It should be set that way right out of the box, of course I have the X not the XS but I believe they are basically the same. I just checked mine and I couldn't find a way to turn the auto off, I believe auto is the only mode.

It should be set automatically. I brought one recently after my Garmin died. The battery life on the XS is far superior. The only negative over the Garmin is I see a longer delay to get distances. The Garmin was appeared to be almost instant, the XS there is a slight delay on the distance stabilising. Other than that personally I prefer the XS.

The interface to download new courses onto it is a bit hit n miss using a mac. Mine doesn't appear to be just plug and play I need to open a app which runs in the background first. Bushnell's C.S. is great I have emailed twice once to ask to add a course and that was done in a day and secondly to ask them to amend one of the 9's at a local course which was redesigned again done in a day. The course I ask them to add I have asked Garmin a few times over the last year or so and they still have not added it.

It should be set automatically. I brought one recently after my Garmin died. The battery life on the XS is far superior. The only negative over the Garmin is I see a longer delay to get distances. The Garmin was appeared to be almost instant, the XS there is a slight delay on the distance stabilising. Other than that personally I prefer the XS.

The interface to download new courses onto it is a bit hit n miss using a mac. Mine doesn't appear to be just plug and play I need to open a app which runs in the background first. Bushnell's C.S. is great I have emailed twice once to ask to add a course and that was done in a day and secondly to ask them to amend one of the 9's at a local course which was redesigned again done in a day. The course I ask them to add I have asked Garmin a few times over the last year or so and they still have not added it.

That slight delay was one of the minor negatives about my yardage pro too. And for some reason that actually slightly strated happening a tad more often. Was hoping this new device was better with that.

SAnd fwiw yes I know Bush CS is very good. Easy to call and speak to as well. gonna have to call them for the advance auto feature. The manual says its got the manual advance and back buttons and mentions auto advance but doesn't say how to turn that on. perhaps its actually always on yet the manual advance and back buttons can also be operated at the same time.

Also fwiw they said the new device (watch) not yet released will have better 9or easier) course downloading capabilities. said that ther will be a sync where all courses are updated instead of having to find one at a atime. But we'll see if that holds true when it arrives. In one sense I was bummed having just bought this and finding out a new one is on the way. but hey, I am sure it will also cost me a lot more then $114. So Im sure I'll be happy with this for a couple/few years as I was with my yardage pro.

and so I used it yesterday. barely even know its on the wrist. Yardage works great. Still have to get use to the buttons a bit but was happy. But I do have an issue and Im going to have to call Bushnel on Monday. it keeps jumping to different holes. Well at first through the first 3 holes it jumped to #18 on a few occasions. So I manualy had to advance it to the hole I was on but once doing that it would lose its auto advance. But then again several more times it would be on a different hole. Not 18 but any hole it felt like going to. I would reset the "play golf" mode and start at whatever hole I was on and it would work and advance on its own but then all a sudden at one point it would be on some other wrong hole again.

I thought perhaps my glove/wrist was possible hitting buttons as the watch is sort of sitting at my bottom glove area but I just don't see that as the reason. So I do have this problem and unless you guys have a tip or two from the same experience to tell me about Im going to have to call and possibly have this replaced already. I mean the yardages are quick and the whole process seems convenient and something I will like. But of course this issue has to be taken care of.

and so I used it yesterday. barely even know its on the wrist. Yardage works great. Still have to get use to the buttons a bit but was happy. But I do have an issue and Im going to have to call Bushnel on Monday. it keeps jumping to different holes. Well at first through the first 3 holes it jumped to #18 on a few occasions. So I manualy had to advance it to the hole I was on but once doing that it would lose its auto advance. But then again several more times it would be on a different hole. Not 18 but any hole it felt like going to. I would reset the "play golf" mode and start at whatever hole I was on and it would work and advance on its own but then all a sudden at one point it would be on some other wrong hole again.

I thought perhaps my glove/wrist was possible hitting buttons as the watch is sort of sitting at my bottom glove area but I just don't see that as the reason. So I do have this problem and unless you guys have a tip or two from the same experience to tell me about Im going to have to call and possibly have this replaced already. I mean the yardages are quick and the whole process seems convenient and something I will like. But of course this issue has to be taken care of.
I've found that used to happen sometimes when I'd dig in my left pocket for my divot tool or a tee or something. I was accidentally depressing the hole advance button. I moved all that stuff to my right pocket and problem solved.

I've found that used to happen sometimes when I'd dig in my left pocket for my divot tool or a tee or something. I was accidentally depressing the hole advance button. I moved all that stuff to my right pocket and problem solved.

I thought of that but actually because my left glove is always on I never keep anything in my left pocket. I am playing tomoro so I will see how this goes again. If still an issue I guess I will calling Bush on Monday

so I played today and for whatever the reason this thing worked like magic this time. Go figure. But no issues and never even had to touch it once at all. Smooth sailing.

A good to know bit of info for those with the watch.

so another round and the skipped hole issue happened just a couple times. Other than that this the thing is great. I called busnell to ask them abut this and FYI here is some useful info for those who have the XS. They told me to press all four corner buttons (every button except the middle one) all at once and what happens is that this resets the watch. It shuts for a moment and then resets itself quickly. You have to just set the time again of course but they said this should take care of the problem. So I did this just a little while ago. We'll see what happens when I play.

Back