Contest: Engagement - The All Expenses Paid Trip of a Lifetime - The 2018 Grandaddy

I suppose this contest is out of my wheelhouse.

I can't butter things up just a heck of a lot. If I get along with something it is great in my estimation. If there is something wrong with it, you'll know.

Putting flowery words to equipment is not my strong point. If it works, it works and I don't mind telling people that. Sometimes I will go out of my way to tell ya.

Like these Callaway SHXR irons........they are long and forgiving and the Chrome Soft X is my ball of choice. It defeats a lot of wind, spins, and and is adequately long. If it hits a cart path, I don't really care about the abrasion, I'd rather have it soft enough to spin.

good luck to you silver tongued guys.

I am not “technical” when it comes to golf equipment. Certainly not compared some of the staff and quite a few members here. It works out because I’m not good at writing those super in depth reviews with lots of technical details, I’m working on getting better at that, but that’s not something lacking here. My reviews tend towards feelings, and easily identifiable things: confidence level when I pull the club, results with bad swings, results with the occasional accidental good swing, looks; things like that.

I fully believe the review process goes on as long as I have the club in the bag, and longer if people have questions about something I’ve tried. I’m always honest, about the good and the less than good, or even (very) occasionally the very bad. I always try to answer questions, or get a question answered if I don’t know it.

I also firmly believe that a review is not just something I put online, where possible I try to get people to try clubs and balls, to get their thoughts or show them something I think is cool, every lefty I’ve played with I’ve made hold and swing my sure out wedge, because i think it’s just that cool. So I’m all about engaging people I play with regularly, and people I get paired up with at random. It helps that I like to talk about equipment and I get excited when I’ve got someone that will talk equipment with me.

There are definitely some areas I’m trying to improve, I want to get better at writing more technically detailed info, and wording my thoughts better.

As a newer member of the THP community and Albatross Club, my early experience was that of the tremendous amount of sharing and feedback between members that takes place. The feedback is a result of their winning equipment, being selected for testing equipment and/or providing information on their own equipment changes or purchases. I have been successful in winning some smaller contests and giveaways and have provided my input regarding grips, shafts and balls to the extent I could add my personal perspective as a mid-handicapper. I am not that advanced to get into deep and intricate details, but my engagement would be and has been to provide points of information that could be of interest and help the average golfer.

The Granddaddy offers the ultimate opportunity to interact with other Community members, the Callaway Crew, and experience and test the latest and greatest Callaway equipment and relay those experiences with the entire THP community. I have been a Callaway convert and supporter for the last 6-7 years and, although I have tried and tested other brands, I have gravitated back to Callaway and been a avid loyalist. As a mid-handicapper, I’ve always been a year or two behind owning the latest models until this year when I purchased my Rogue irons but have followed all of the new model introductions and tried to give them some cursory testing at my club’s demo days. I feel that someone of my ability and involvement with equipment could be an asset to those mid to high handicap members of the community by being able to provide feedback regarding the comparison of older brands to the newer more current ones.

By being selected to take part in the Grandaddy, I would have the opportunity to interact with the Callaway representatives and test their new equipment and be able to provide feedback to the community. This would be valuable to those golfers, such as myself, that don’t spend a lot of money on new clubs or experimenting and have to rely on trying new equipment at Demo Days or golf stores. I would be able to provide a comparison of older models (my equipment) to the newer more current ones. As such my engagement would have a more directed audience with the ‘average’ golfer and provide a slightly different perspective and feedback.

Lastly, I would be honored to be selected and be part of camaraderie between the participants.

Living in a rural community you get to meet and be with a lot of people who share the same interest that I have in golf, that being equipment. I am fortunate to have a spare bag and extra clubs to loan out. When one of us gets a new "toy", it's destined to make the rounds among the players. I've loaned out my Ping G400 MAX several times to guys that want to play a round with it, as well as my wedges and some test balls that I got from THP. Write-ups are great and expected and part of the engagement but the real engagement is when other golfers test equipment on course, on their time, with no pressure. If they know that you like it and it performs for them chances are they will buy one after testing it. By the way, 3 guys chose to buy a G400 MAX driver. Sometimes the simplest engagement is the most effective.

Official Entry:

I believe that Callaway makes some of the best equipment in the game, and I would use my assets of my podcast that has hundreds of listeners a week to express my views on such great products, but let me tell you how we get there!

For months I will train in the Crimean Mountains in West Russia next to the Black Sea where I will strap wooden logs to my back to gain the strength and feel the pain of defeat like my brother @JDax did. I will do suicide sprints up the mountains in 2 feet of snow to gain the mental game that is needed to defeat such a villain. And when my name is called, I will know that Finley’s time is up and my time is now!

And on singles day, I will do what all Great American heroes do, defeat evil! On a sunny Sunday morning, I will fly to the first tee on a freaking bald eagle, dressed in red, white, and blue. I’ll hop off that beautiful creature, smoking a Marlboro, eating a honey bun, you can feel the electricity in the air and you will see the sweat roll down the side of Finley’s face. I will then pull out my trusty Rogue Driver by Callaway and stripe one down the fairway while having the Marlboro in my mouth and when my tee shot hits the first fairway, I’ll flick my cig on Finley’s chest. Cause I’m not my brother, I won’t be getting shots, I’ll be giving them. You see, this is my destiny and I will get my vengeance in this life or the next.

And after I defeat Finley on his home turf, the actions of that day will send echos through out the homeland, they will throw a ticker tape parade in my honor like they did for Ben Hogan after he won the British Open. So you see, after Finley’s defeat I will have everyone’s attention, people will line the streets to hear the story of Finley’s demise and in those stories I will preach the importance of the Callaway equipment and they will hear my voice from sea to shining sea! Cause that is what Great American Heroes do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a person that obsesses over details. When I am considering a product I research, research and do more research (probably why i am an an attorney - i know spare the jokes). For example, when I bought my Srixon Z765 irons, I think I read every single thread in existence and solicited my own feedback. Then I did the same for various shaft options (settled on Modus 125). Took me weeks to go through the details. This year I bought a new driver and did the same - read every single thread out there. Researched fitting options, shafts, grips, etc. No stone left unturned. Even now, I continue to read about new offerings.

Would I have the honor of being selected for the Grand Daddy, I would bring that same passion and detail to my reviews. I would question the technical details of Callaway products and the technology behind them. Really dive into the details of the product offerings and relay that back to the HP community. The details and technology are what make products unique. Sure I will say how the products worked for me, but every person is different. However, if people understand the pros/cons of a product and the benefits of the design they can better determine if the product could be a good fit.

Finally, just a note, I will always have a fondness for Callaway. My first new set of irons was a set of X-14 Pros that I played for about 15 years.

- Rob

I want to be one of those guys that goes to the Grandaddy, and a whole new world of THP opens up to them. I firmly believe that being excited about your gear, about the experience, and about the people, shows in the interaction and the engagement. Seeing people attend their first event, and then seeing that explosion of THP involvement, honestly, would love to experience it.

I am not the greatest with words. My pictures sometimes look like they were taken with a potato. My live thread updates are often disappointing score wise, and a bit boring.
But I want to get better, and feel like there has been improvement, but really want to get better in every aspect that I can.

I would love to get some video reviews up, flood threads with pictures, and answer questions to the best of my knowledge. That knowledge should be incredible after attending the Grandaddy. Each year I am anxious for the embargo date to lift so we can hear all about the awesome gear, and hopefully I could be a part in driving that excitement

I don't have a podcast or a blog, and my Instagram and Twitter follower numbers are pretty poor. But first and foremost, to me, THP is where that engagement is going to be.

Thank you for your consideration, and thank you to Callaway Golf and The Hackers Paradise for another opportunity at the event of a lifetime.

Most THPers members know The Granddaddy and what it’s about and I would even venture to say all Albatross members know fully what this event is about... the question is how to inform a larger, broader audience along with all members of THP?

It’s obvious to me that a concerted approach is required to spread and share as much about the event, Callaway as a company and The GD event and equipment tested.... the medium needs to include face to face, on course, in clubhouse, at Golf shops, in Pro Shops and wherever interactions allow to give testimony and share equipment experiences with people you know and others who are strangers. Social media, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat to show off details, experiences, pictures, videos and stories of The Granddaddy and what is represented. Short, quick hitting, powerful social media messaging representing the good the bad and the ugly of details along this amazing GD journey.

As a limited informed tech internet golfer I still have an opportunity to reach others who are open to communication 142 characters at a time... besides, up to now I’ve nothing worthwhile to post on Instagram....

Some great stuff already.

The Grandaddy...hmmmmm
A couple of examples of how my exposure/engagement dovetail into peoples lives. I've known/played golf with Haso about 6-7 years. I kept telling him about THP and the incredible events they put on for us amateurs. After more prodding I get him to go to unofficial gathering with other THP'ers and he was hooked. He joins THP and becomes an Albatross member. Fast forward to first event he attends, HYPE sponsored by Callaway. He's introduced to the Callaway...errr...way and winds up winning spot in last years GD!!!! My Dad is 72 and we still play together. I told him of Haso's trip and says "how is that even possible?" THP and Callaway, making the impossible possible.
I play on the regular with fellow THP'ers and rando's. I will continue to tell these stories as I put the equipment through its paces as I tend to play alot. I hope to have my own story to tell soon.

Engagement is creating a dialogue. A dialogue is a conversation, which if broken down, takes at least two. There's give and take in a dialogue - sure, witty banter and silly jokes and serious discussions, but essentially, it's a back and forth, give and take.

Callaway has already done their part of the dialogue. Should I be lucky enough to be chosen for this amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience, I'll receive the crazy things listed - custom clubs, new bag, swag swag swag, but most importantly, welcomed into the Callaway family.

That's a lot of give from the Zoo Crew - not just their stuff, but also their time. I'm an event planner. This trip takes a LOT of planning, and a LOT of participation, and a LOT of time: time from Callaway employees on their precious weekend off.

If I'm chosen, I've got a lot to give back. First, Callaway would get my honesty. It can sometimes be brutal (luckily I was also blessed with an overabundence of tact). I would post up a review thread here, and give my honest feedback. Love the clubs, hate the grip? Driver hates me but man alive those hybrids are money? Love it but for the love of Odin why is it pink just 'cause I'm a chick? I'll be honest. I'll say it. And once the honeymoon period is over (because let's face it, after 2 months the new wears off anything, from a car to a set of golf clubs), I'll still keep posting. Because it's important to show off Callaway's committment to creating awesome gear that lasts.

Second, they'll get my Shot Scope data. I'll be able to show definitively with numbers and stats what works better. I have no issue being a case study in what custom fit performance gear will do for someone like me. I'd love to show solid data on just how much I've improved with gear change.

Third, I promise I'll start to be one of those people who actually puts the headcovers back on their clubs. *sheepish grin* I'll take better care of this set, I promise. Though I do have to say my Solaires are surviving an awful lot of punishment and I love them dearly. But I'll take better care next time!

Fourth, I've only been around these here parts since the spring, but I've already posted up several contest reviews and unofficial reviews. So already there's proof of what I'm willing to do in order to properly review equipment (including posting up stupid pictures of myself in sunglasses). How effective am I at this? Quite a few people have already purchased Shot Scope v2's on my recommendation. Two friends (not on this board) have purchased sets of Solaire clubs after me singing their praises. I've sold 2 SeeMore putters to random strangers in Edwin Watts in Knoxvlle. And all this win, when I'm not even trying. Imagine if I was.

Fifth, I live in Golf Heaven. There are a ton of golfers in this area, with close to 10 pristine courses in a 20 mile radius. And I get out and golf. A LOT. Driving range, practice green, awkward single added to the trio - that's me. And trust me, if someone my height, weight, and gender walks up with full on Granddaddy gear, striking up a conversation isn't going to take a whole lot of effort on my part - chances are, they'll ask me. By the 5th green, they'll be looking at Callaway's site and THP with more than casual interest.

Last but not least, let's not forget that THP is part of this dialogue. They've given the opportnity, and therefore they get my online loyalty. A thorough review, well thought out and constructed, and (dare I say modestly) well written. And they also get my online thoughts. I don't mind admitting I've changed my opinion.

So there's what I offer to hold up my part of the dialouge. Huge thank you to Callaway for the opportunity, and huge thank you to THP for the fun of trying to get there!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

I look at this event as two parts. The first part is the event itself and bringing everyone along for the ride. From the minute I touch down to the minute my plane is leaving, I would try to let everyone who was following feel like they were right there with me. I would also use my social media accounts to bring along those who may not always be on the forum so they can consume the content that way. The more pictures the better IMO can only help paint the picture of what I am seeing live and in person.

Post event is when the rubber meets the road for the equipment. The honeymoon phase will fade away and when you are back home you get the gear on your normal conditions & under normal circumstances. No need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to reviewing the equipment. Those who chose to follow along will have all the hard data on my game like hcap, swing speed, normal carry yardages, normal shot shape and most importantly my normal misses. We can all rave about the equipment on what it does on well struck shots, but not having a repeatable swing I think its important to spotlight how the equipment performs on mishits and where the forgiveness of the equipment can help you play the best golf. I'll give honest feedback and opinions (good and bad) with hope that players with similar abilities can get the best information on the equipment that is being reviewed. One unique thing that I would want to do is hold a Q&A for each equipment family. I want to make sure all the questions are answered to the best of my abilities and provide insight on the equipment I was fit for.

I have really enjoyed the entries submitted so far. They are personal and passionate. I appreciate that as much as I enjoy seeing the unique perspectives people have on what it means to be engaged.

I'd love to be able to do a "live" course blog where I'd post shot by shot distance to hole, club used, shot type (punch, full half, etc.), result, hole by hole score. Don't expect anything stellar in regards to the final tally but it'd be a fun little trip around the course and something different.

As someone who has an instagram following of over 52,000 people, I plan to do stories and shout outs every second of the trip if I am chosen. In addition, as someone who runs a social media management company for Golf Courses, I plan on using my clients followings to increase the eyes on the event as a whole. My potential reach is vast.

Here's how I'd approach engagement:

I'd commit to play my Graddaddy equipment for no less than a full year. The truth is that I love Callaway clubs and upgrade relatively infrequently, so chances are that everything would stay a lot longer than that. But if Callaway is giving me the opportunity to get fit by the best for a full set of free equipment, I'm giving them a year of feedback, at a minimum.

I would get started right away. Even in the winter, I can access a simulator at least once a week and I'd be there. That way, my reviews would not be dependent on when the snow melts.

I'd make my reviews as comprehensive as possible, but I would specifically focus on the technology Callaway is promoting. There is a lot more value for Callaway in explanations of how and why their latest technology makes a difference or impacts my game than me simply saying something like, "I hit it farther."

I'd cover as many mediums as possible. THP is a no brainer--I'd be here asking people what they want to know, what kind of comparisons are helpful, and doing my best to give it to them. And not just in writing. If someone wants a picture or video comparison of say, an older model or another brand to my new irons, I'd run over to the golf shop and get it done (after any embargo, of course). I'd make a concerted effort to do the same on the social media platforms Callaway uses and on Callaway's own message boards so that the information people want is getting out there. It's easy to just tell people what I'd like to say, but that's not always beneficial. I'd be proactive in asking people what they want to know about the equipment.

In an aspect that I think is often overlooked, I would make a point to do the same thing in person. I'd also encourage people at the course or at the simulator to actually hit my equipment. Just last weekend one of my friends hit a few shots with my XR Pro 9-iron because he lost his Mizuno 9-iron. He was blown away and we had a long conversation about Callaway irons, and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't seriously consider buying the Rogue Pros in the next month or so. That's tangible value that is sometimes hard to measure from even the best written review.

If I were lucky enough to get to participate, I would try to promote Callaway across the board. Whether that means wearing Travis Mathews shorts instead of Adidas or using an Ogio bag instead of a Sun Mountain, I'm in. I would never be able to fully give back for the once-in-a-lifetime experience that is the Grandaddy, but I would damn sure try.

I would make Callaway a consideration in all my golf discussions. For example, if I'm describing how well I'm hitting my HZRDUS Yellow shaft, I'll make a point to explain that I'm playing it in a Callaway driver. Or if I see someone on Twitter asking how the new Catalyst iron shafts play, I'll reply and tell them that they are amazing in the Rogue Pros.

Finally, I'd ask Harry and the rest of the Zoo Crew if there is anything they think I'm missing that would be valuable. After all, they devote countless hours and dollars to putting this amazing experience together and I would want to do everything I could to make sure they're getting what they're looking for.

Last edited:
I’ve been fortunate enough to have been selected a couple of times here on THP for reviews. If I’m being honest, I’ve done a good job with some and a flop on one or two (see: Matrix hybrid shaft review).

The positive is that I’ve learned a thing or two about what works (and doesn’t).

Having a plan going into it really helps!! In this case it would be planning out time and place to test, share with others and post about all the is Grandaddy-awesomeness. A good experience is to share some feedback and insights while including the audience in the conversation. Using the equipment in a variety of situations: from range, to casual rounds and tournament play creates a well rounded review.

I’ve also learned that honesty is the best policy, and expected by THP and forum readers. This gives readers and the company something they can revert back to and improve upon (whether positive or negative).

I hope to be selected, and be able to share my thoughts.

The meaning of Engagement is simply,an arrangement to do something or go somewhere at a fixed time. So with that said, I would make proper arrangements with my club pro to hone my swing to the matching of my Grandaddy equipment provided by Callaway. I would also plan to make sure my golf clubs are in my truck or wifes' car when we travel. Seeing I have close family stretched from Alabama to Texas and everywhere in between. This would give me an opportunity to speak to others about the Experience the Grandaddy provides.

As a participant in the Grandaddy, I think that engagement starts well before a flight to San Diego and lasts beyond the life of a golf club.

The journey begins with the everyday engagement on the forum, social media, and even by word of mouth. I have several friends who’ve been lucky enough to attend the Grandaddy and their excitement and enthusiasm each and every time they speak about it makes me understand how important engagement is away from a keyboard or phone. That’s where I would start; friends, family, & even the random guys I get paired up with on the golf course. They would know what the Grandaddy is and what THP and Callaway are all about.

The engagement with THP forum members is also a major part of the Grandaddy equation. Ive always aimed to engage on THP in unique ways such as pictures, videos, or even just organizational tools to help give dynamic insights to other members for equipment, gear, apparel, or anything else golf-related. I was intentional in my reviews for the pre-released Chrome Soft X, bringing videos and pictures to the proper threads. Even during events such as the 2017 Gauntlet, I wanted to bring the forum members sitting at home along for the ride so sharing information quickly and updating in real time is crucial. And I wouldn’t approach the Grandaddy any different.

The Hackers Paradise and Callaway rely on reviews, engagement, and feedback in order for these insane events to continue into the future. I am fully committed to doing my part so that THP members and golfers after me can also experience the same level of awesome-ness for years to come.

I don't have many friends here. I'd like more! Pick me and you won't be disappointed :)

Cheers!

I don't have many friends here. I'd like more! Pick me and you won't be disappointed :)

Cheers!

Make sure to follow the How to Enter steps in the first post of this thread, and ya never know, it could be you : )

Cheers!
It isn't about the number of Follows, Likes or Shares. Its about the quality of the entry and embracing the event.

I know for me as a golfer I come from a background of standard fit clubs, I only own one custom club in my bag.

I could come from the angle of always being the standard guy and maybe try to blog my rounds on my experience being totally fit for irons. How do they feel different to distance gained/lost, stability, etc. Round over round improvement? My confidence levels with certain clubs before and after fit.

Following the rounds I would use the SC200 to run numbers vs. my old clubs to hopeful show improvement in ball speed, etc.

Answer questions for those nervous about a fully fitted bag, I can't be the only one!! I will be the test subject for that mass of people. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My plan for engagement is simple: I will do everything in my power to share every aspect of the experience with my fellow THPers around the world from start to finish. I’ve made several threads documenting my golf trips, thoughts on gear and unofficial gatherings (links below) solely to bring those who are interested along for the ride because I have been fortunate enough to play some incredible courses with some amazing friends I have met on THP!

The Grandaddy has been around for a bit now so anyone who has been on the forum for at least a few years is somewhat familiar with the general workings of the event. That said, my goal would be to share it from my perspective in the hope of showing people something they haven’t seen or didn’t notice before!

When following an event, it’s always nice when those who are participating are able to answer those burning questions from those who are following along. This is exactly what I try to do whether I’m sharing my experience on a course or sharing my thoughts on a particular piece of gear.

Simply put, I view engagement as sharing the experience in a manner that makes those following along feel like they’re actually there. If I’m lucky enough to be selected for The Grandaddy, that is exactly what I intend on doing!

My engagement resume :D :cool:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...a-Las-Vegas!-A-Golf-Gathering-in-January-2018!!!
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...8-mr-hicksta’s-Maui-Father’s-Day-trip-contest!
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...arry-Golf-Club-gathering-aka-Aloha-mr-hicksta!
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/85728-NorCal-Crew-Pebble-Beach-gathering
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...857-NorCal-Crew-gathering-at-Silverado-Resort
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...rew-October-Gathering-Bayonet-and-Black-Horse
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...-hicksta-Spyglass-Hill-Golf-Course-LEGGGOOOOO
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...rew-Dark-Horse-and-Empire-Ranch-update-thread
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...Crew-Outing-Labor-Day-weekend-Sacramento-area!
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/78283-NorCal-Crew-Outing-(19-20MAR)
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...UK-and-mr-hicksta-descend-on-Salinas-Fairways!
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...04435-2018-Ping-Hoofer-Stand-Carry-Bag-review
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/104652-Ping-Tour-and-Sport-glove-review
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...7796-I-m-giving-SuperSpeed-Golf-trainer-a-try!
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/82978-mr-hicksta-WITB

Last edited:
Went to dinner with JB a few weeks ago. He told me there isn’t a post on this forum he hasn’t read. That’s incredible, considering the content in this thread, let alone the whole board.

Back