Contest: Engagement - The All Expenses Paid Trip of a Lifetime - The 2018 Grandaddy

Multiple ways to engage. The obvious is sharing here. Whether it’s live updates during the event, recaps post event, and of course the reviews later on once embargo lifts. I’ve been a part of one event here and did my best to do all of that. Posting during event is more challenging than it seems. Some make it look easy, but once you’re at the event, it’s even easier to fall into golf mode and focus on your play.
For my first event I feel I did ok. Not great but ok. Post recap I certainly put as much as I could into it without droning on and on haha. My favorite part was reviewing. Whether it was as simple as updates after each round or my final review of the equipment, I loved giving my thoughts to try and help those that hadn’t played the equipment and wanted some insight to see if it might be good for there game.
I have also done reviews here and elsewhere including shafts, balls, and clubs. It’s something that I really enjoy and feel I am getting pretty good at.
Getting on social media to help bring those outside the boards a look at what amazing events happen here is also key. I’m big on twitter. Not as in having a big following, but I use it the most of any other media on the web. I am getting more and more into Instagram as well which has made me a little more creative with pictures. Getting good angles and fun lighting. Anything to make people want to check out this site and see what our amazing sponsors do for this community.
Specifically I was a big nike golf equipment guy. Loved everything about it. I was posting on twitter routinely being an ambassador for Nike golf. Especially their #betterneverquits and summer playing campaign a few years ago.
Long winded I know, but social media today has moved way beyond just posting our feelings. It’s about connecting with those around the world, and sharing our experiences. Whether good or bad interactions occur, the game has been changed. Companies can live or die with social media, and while callaway is by far one of the best, I would love to help move that even further ahead of the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, engagement is about so much more than just reviewing the gear, and that's not to minimize that aspect of it, but only to say there are many more that should be considered.

Social Media - Interacting with the Callaway social media and marketing team puts those posts and tweets etc. into the feed of my network of friends. Friends that may or may not have otherwise seen the discussion. Having them see the interaction, as well as the responses and general awesome attitude of the Callaway marketing team gives them positive impressions of the brand. This is quite honestly, my absolute favorite thing about Callaway!

Actually talking to people - Since my participation in the Hype event last year, I've been playing Chromesoft Truvis balls exclusively. The number of conversations that's generated among the foursomes I've played in since that time is staggering. People are always amazed when I tell them about the experience that I had, and what these balls are really all about. As someone that plays 90% of my rounds as a rando single that gets paired with whomever has 3, these opportunities and interactions happen all the time.

Reviews - Reviewing the gear is beneficial in so many ways, it helps Callaway with legitimate user feedback, it helps fellow golf enthusiasts that are trying to determine where to spend their hard earned money, and it helps me become more knowledgeable about gear in general. It's awesome knowing that some of the decisions makers over at Callaway are actually in these threads reading our feedback and interacting with us, not just for the sake of doing so, but with the intent to actually listen and improve upon their products.

There are some really great entries in this thread. Gonna be tough to choose and there are some impressive engagement resumes.

My entry:

I am already engaged in the THP forum and will continue to do so. I try to remain active in threads that I have commented in.
My first THP event was the 2016 Cleveland Short Game Shootout, I was a newbie at the time and didn't really know what to expect and didn't really post much at the event. Afterwards I posted a lot in the review of the wedges we received and continue to do so in several different thread now.

The Grandaddy is a whole new level of engagement and review.
It will be about actively posting while at Callaway, at The Hideaway Course and any other stops along the way.
I will continue to write posts describing the gear, pictures of the gear and answering questions for fellow THPers.

I may not be the best writer, or the most active member on the site, but the reviews and engagement will be honest well thought out reviews. If I find something I dislike about any of the Grandaddy gear it will be made know, (nothing is perfect and the more people know the better.)

I try to be active on different platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and many members and non members can be reached on the platforms.

The Grandaddy is the pinnacle of events for THP members, and should be treated as such. I will give my 100%+ to ensure that I stay engaged in reviewing, posting, and talking to the world about how great the event of a lifetime is and was.
I only as for a chance to partake in the upcoming great adventure.

:golf3:

Contest: Engagement - The All Expenses Paid Trip of a Lifetime - The 2018 Grandaddy

When I think of engagement within the THP community, the first thing that stands out to me is not product reviews, demos or even contests such as this; its the relationships that are built from the experiences themselves.

I have only been a member of THP for 7 months but in that short period of time I am BLOWN AWAY by the people in this forum and the golf industry as a whole. Within the first few months of finding this place and the vast amounts of knowledge to be gained from it I was selected to not only test SuperStroke grips but eventually participate in Shaft Up #2. The funny part about the Shaft Up #2 event was I didn't realize the impact it would have on me. Sure it was an all expenses paid trip, golf and driver to none other than Las Vegas but the experience itself--battling 112 degree heat with three other guys I just met, laughing and playing pai gow for hours and acting like we'd been friends for years--was what I will take away with me forever.

I love the F8 driver and UST shafts and I'm a converted fanboy now of both, reviewing as best I can along the way. But what I talk about most when I tell stories of that trip and THP is the people and the time shared together. I've heard so much about the GD and how its the event of all events. I certainly would review gear much the same way I do now but the experience, comeraderie, and the friendships made is what I would most look forward too.

Last edited:
So what is engagement?

Is it to takes others on your journey?
Is it to provide information and help others?
Is it to boost activity with frequent updates?
Is it to encourage others to reach out?
Is it to reach out to the masses across multiple platforms?
Is it to engage at every opportunity?

The answer? Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

Is it to take others on your journey? YES
The most epic journey an average golfer is exposed to. The excitement. The anticipation. The experience. The people. The gear. The golf.
It’s not only the event itself, but it’s also the lead up and what happens after the event. My goal is to be a great story teller and bring others with me on my incredible journey.

Is it to provide information and help others? YES
In a community that’s in the thousands, a select few (hoping I’m one of the few) get to experience in all its glory the greatest event. We get to experience the people, the gear, the golf and everything leading up to and everything that comes after. Having firsthand knowledge, it is my duty to share this information and help others as needed. Not only through text, but with pictures and videos. At least for me, seeing something has a greater impact that just reading something.

Is it to boost activity with frequent updates? YES
The goal is not only to engage myself, but to get others engaged. Don’t just start something and then shelve it. Constant and frequent updates. Bring my engagement to the forefront and have relevant conversations.

Is it to encourage others to reach out? YES
Make myself available and approachable. Talk to others on all platforms. Provide real and honest conversations, questions and answers. Don’t just give an answer. Follow up and explain WHY. WHY I like or don’t like something. WHY something works or doesn’t work. WHY it’s one way and not the other. WHY this and not that.

Is it to reach out to the masses across multiple platforms? YES
In the world we live in today, there are so many different avenues to reach people. The forum. Social Media. Word of mouth. I’ll use all platforms available. To share my story. To share my experiences. To share my reviews. To interact with others.

Is it to engage at every opportunity? YES
Opportunities for engagement is endless and can present itself at any time. I’ll take advantage of every opportunity. To have a conversation. To provide information and help. To share my journey. To welcome others.

Nice entries everyone, this will be a tough one to choose the winner from. Keep the entries coming, make that decision even tougher!

I am not as prolific of a poster as some, but I have been a single father raising 3 daughters and life is very busy between work and being a dad. However, I am trying to do some meaningful things to be a solid contributor to the forum.

1. I try to refer as many people as possible to join the forum. I always use my ball marker on the course and talk it up.

2. I am planning each year to visit a different city and set up a round of golf with some THPers. Last year, I did it in December in the So. Cal area. This November, I am going to Orlando and have already tentatively set up some golf with members there.

3. I try to come up with unique ideas for threads and posts. My most recent one is the P790, I500, Cobra F8 FTB smackdown. I have actually rounded up a set of PXGs as well and am going to spend significant time trying to compare and contrast these player’s distance irons that benefit so many of us who need a little more distance, but have fairly good skills and scoring ability. I am trying to put a twist on this smackdown that is private for the moment and should not be considered for this contest.

I found the THP a little over a year ago. I was coming back to the game I love after a 7 year hiatus forced upon me by life’s circumstances. I found myself now to be 56 years old and not sure what type of golf I could play. I found that I can score as well as I did before, although in a different way. This forum has helped me immensely in honing in on equipment changes during the 7 years I was out. The THP has now become a significant part of my life.

I have never been a lucky winner of anything like the Grandaddy in my lifetime. This would truly be one of the highlights of my life, in particular my golfing hobby. I think it would be a chance to make some friendships that would be lasting.

Last edited:
Entry:

Golf is a daily engagement for me and that means frequent visits to THP.

I found THP in Spring 2015 while searching for equipment reviews to replace a full set I bought on an impulse while walking through a big box retail store. I lurked on the site for a few months before joining in.

Equipment reviews are still a big part of my research effort and I enjoy participating in these threads. My reviews span from staff bags and drivers to wedges and putters. My input usually focuses on how a product works on the course or how it affects my performance as oppose to technical descriptions. I appreciate when other people post photos and I try include them as much as possible. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

I’m a big believer in Callaway. The Odyssey O-Works MarxMan changed my game more than any club I’ve experienced since starting golf in 2011. In fact, I recently bought Mack Daddy 4 wedges largely based on Marxman and Apex performance. My previous wedges worked well. I’m thinking about doing a bag battle/live round/call-out thread between the clubs at a nearby wedge course. This would be a fun way to experiment with the clubs while sharing the results with the forum in real time.

I actively participate on the THP forum plus follow THP on YouTube and Twitter. I’m also engaged with Callaway via The ShipShow and Fitting Room podcasts, Callaway Talks and Callaway Live on YouTube, plus the Community forum on Callawaygolf.com. If these sources don’t cover a golf subject, then it’s not important. :D

If chosen to participate in the Grandaddy, then I would continue sharing my experiences with the forum to the best of my abilities. THP is a unique place and I’d like to see the content continue to grow. THP, and its members, have significantly added to my love for golf since joining. I’d be honored to accept the responsibilities that come with Grandaddy selection.

I’m a new member of THP, having only joined in March. I attended the 2018 Ben Hogan Iron Experience as my first THP event. I had followed Live Updates from other events prior to attending so I thought I had a plan for posting on THP. That all went out the window when I arrived to Orlando. I was wide eyed and in shock the entire weekend. It was an amazing weekend, where I met some very good people and began to understand what THP is all about.
I have been able to look back and understand what I could have done better and how to execute. I didn’t know how to use Tapatalk while in Orlando, so posting pictures and updates in real-time was difficult. I also posted a review of the Ben Hogan Edge Irons which I think could have contained better content and definitely posted quicker, lesson learned. These issues will not happen again since I have been working on my posting game!
If selected to represent Team THP in The Grandaddy with Callaway, what are my plans for engagement? I would like to include more video reviews of my products which would allow me to show testimonials from people that try my clubs. I think when people see video testimonials it carries more weight. While at the Grandaddy, I would utilize live broadcasts via instagram, YouTube and Facebook Live. These broadcasts would occur throughout the weekend, showcasing meals, THPers in action, Q&A during the bus ride to and from the Hideaway, and maybe some behind the scenes shots coordinated with THP and Callaway. I plan to practice these techniques during the THP Championship so that I can work out the kinks. My social game will be ready to shine at The Grandaddy!

Well, being a new guy here at THP, I need to be really up front on this from the beginning. If I were to win a spot to the 2018 Grandaddy, it would be like winning the Lottery!!! As for my plans for engagement if I were to win, I would be shouting it from the rooftops! I mean really, who wouldn't want to share that kind of experience, with everyone! What a way to really become a part of the THP community, and an ambassador for Callaway.

I couldn't imagine not sharing a play-by-play of the entire experience with THP and Calloway, meeting the people, touring the Callaway facility, and of course the gear and the golf. Afterwards, reviewing the gear, and sharing it with people I golf with, both friends and new acquaintances, would be an ongoing engagement that I would look forward to. I have what I call "the engineer gene", and can get pretty analytical in researching and reviewing products. I'd share both the facts (specifications, technology, etc), and my opinions, in reviewing all of the gear and swag, with ongoing updates.

I've always been an off-the-rack guy when it comes to my golf gear. Sure I've talked about getting fit, next time, but never have followed through. I think I could really relate the fitting experience to a broad audience, as I know there are a lot of people out there, much like me, that would appreciate hearing first hand from someone going through the process for the first time, with followups on how the fitting affects performance long term.

I tend to be a bit of a Type-A personality, you know, the type that jumps in with both feet, sets tasks and goals for oneself, and tend towards a sense of urgency in accomplishing those goals to the highest standards possible. I believe I would be a valuable asset to THP and Callaway in how I would engage my experiences at the Grandaddy, and everything that goes along with it, to anyone and everyone for the next year or so.

My plans for engagement include THP threads, Social Media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook), and word of mouth. I attend a lot of unofficial gatherings where I talk about the equipment that I have received and the trips I've been on. It's fun for me to do, and I really enjoy talking about the things THP has to offer like the Grandaddy! Live posting is something I feel I have gotten better with over time, as I feel the community deserves to live the experience with you while you are there since they aren't able to attend.

Engagement with equipment is a huge piece to this puzzle as Callaway is handing over thousands of dollars worth of clubs for us to keep but most importantly to review for the other members of THP. I play a lot of golf every single week and feel like that I could give honest and thorough feedback plus long term feedback. The feedback won't stop after the first week of the event, I will make sure that it will continue through out the entire year. I have attended shaft up and feel like that I stay engaged with the event even after a year of it being over and helped people who were attending shaft up after me.

Engagement is a big part of why this event is so special and it continues to go on year after year. I would love to be a part of that team that is out here spreading the Grandaddy love to everyone that hasn't experienced it. I have been fortunate enough to have met and played with many past participants and felt like I have learned enough to be able to engage the right way and help make this dream come true live on.

Some awesome stuff in here so far and by the number of entries, not bad odds for everyone. Hopefully theres a bunch of hopefuls just taking their time with the entry because this contest is a great way to show why you would be an asset to Team THP

Some awesome stuff in here so far and by the number of entries, not bad odds for everyone. Hopefully theres a bunch of hopefuls just taking their time with the entry because this contest is a great way to show why you would be an asset to Team THP
I'm a big fan of this contest.

I have been around THP for quite a while and have seen many changes throughout those years.

My engagement would start with the simple premise of providing my experience and insight to the forum. I know that is way easier said than done but I have personally experienced this great event through the eyes of fellow THPers who were lucky enough to go to the Grandaddy. They shared their experience from traveling, meeting team mates, the fitting and the golf. I do not take my golf so seriously that I forget that it is a hobby and fun for me, that attitude is in my opinion what this event is all about.

While I have been a part of very few official events through THP I have organized and participated in numerous local outings and did a good job ( in my mind) of sharing those experiences with the rest of the forum. For two straight years I have been a part of planning an unoffical event called the A. Clowns Invitational where THPers from all over North America gather to golf, eat food and talk about the fastest game on two feet ( it is played on ice). This is something that I look forward to each and every year and sharing it with the members of THP was a lot of fun.

We all use THP in our own way and that is what makes this place so special. I have met some great people through this place and make friendships that will last a very long time.

I would bring an easy going attitude to Team THP and make sure the rest of the forum is able to experience the event right along with me.

OH yeah! I had to really sit back and see what I've done lately for reviews and engagement and what I learned during my time on THP!

OH yeah! I had to really sit back and see what I've done lately for reviews and engagement and what I learned during my time on THP!

Official Entry:

I’ve been involved in online communities for almost two decades now. In 2000 I became a member of another forum, one with a profound sense of community and camaraderie. Over the years there, I have met literally hundreds of people through planned events. I have made lifelong friendships that came from that forum.

Over the past few years that community has devolved into one where there is constant infighting, trolls are celebrated, etc. I find myself spending less and less time there, other to interact with a few of my best friends.

In December of 2014 I discovered The Hacker Paradise. It reminded me of what I once had in that other forum. Since my time here, I have participated in official and unofficial events, met local THPers for rounds of golf and started making new friends from this great membership. Over time I have been fortunate to review a couple of items and think I did a respectable job. I’ve learned to use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to share my experiences and thoughts about equipment and courses. I make THP my first stop on the internet every day.

If I should be so lucky to be chosen for the ultimate experience that was born from THP and Callaway, I can assure you that I will be diligent in putting forth the same effort…no, an even better effort of sharing those thoughts, opinions and reviews through a variety of social outlets.

I strongly feel I would owe that to THP and this great community and have no intention of letting you all down!

I'm having a ton of fun reading these. Can't wait to see which one of you is joining us.

Official entry:
Why pick me? I’m far, far, very far from being one of the better golfers among the forum. I don’t golf nearly as often as I’d like or as some of my peers here do. I don’t understand the nuances of feel, swing weights, and other technicalities in golf equipment. So why pick me? The one thing I have going for me – I respect The Hackers Paradise.

Equipment I receive from an event, for testing or as part of a prize will be in the bag for a full year at minimum – That’s been the case with the Elevado putter, the Cobra F7 from the THP Ambition event, and is currently the case with the Recoil Smacwrap shafts and the SM7 wedges from the Titleist event. So while I may tinker, I will game extensively and provide feedback for any piece of equipment I receive. That’s the responsibility I place upon myself whenever I put my name into the hat for any contest or event. The Hackers Paradise is made possible because of the relationships with its partners. The lucky few who get selected to official events (which I’ve been fortunate enough to attend multiple times) owe it to the community and sponsors to engage and provide honest feedback over a period of time.

There are members here who just come for the banter, or who prefer the unofficial regional activities, or who just come for equipment reviews. Everyone has his/her particular reasons for liking this place – I hope everyone can respect the sponsors and the foundation that makes everything else possible.

Don’t know how much time is left to enter this one, but hope more people do so!
This event is spectacular, and it keeps getting better!
If you’re on the fence, I encourage you to go back through the past threads 2013 until last year!
Also remember that AC membership, as that’s required to lock in your entry!

LUUUKKKKKE @LukeWilliamsCG

Engagement at the Granddaddy? To me it would start as soon as my plane landed, I would try to take in every single minute of this trip of a lifetime. As this would be my very first THP event it’s hard to say exactly how I would react right away besides just trying to breath and take it in. As never had a professional custom fitting for clubs, I’d ask any question stupid or not as they came to me to make sure I was understanding everything that was going on, while having this fitting at Callaway HQ is unimaginable. While I have read and tried to follow (best I could) other events and Granddaddy’s, when it’s time to meet the Zoo Crew, this would be probably being the highlight of my trip. Watching videos and hearing stories, I know they are just great guys trying to make sure a hack like myself truly embraces and enjoys this event who I’m sure I’d be able to fit right in with. Thanks to THP, Zoo Crew and Callaway for making these fantasies become realities for us.

Official Entry:

I'd love the chance to be a part of Team THP and bring my own brand of interaction to the grandaddy. Previous captains and teams of the grandaddy spoke about inclusion and I want to do my part to continue that goal with Team THP. Currently Captain T4K and assistant captain PhillyV have reached out to everyone selected to greet them and welcome them to the team as well as post thoughts on social media and here that invoke others to participate and answer honestly. I mean come on, captain T4K posted a video of him in the early morning dusting the crud out of his eyes for everyone to see when he was chosen as captain for the team and that is the person i will try to emulate. No qualms about personal goals but focused on bringing raw, honest takes/emotions of what can only be describe as the greatest golf event open to amatuers/hackers alike.

If given the chance and selected to the team, i'd like to make the lead up to the grandaddy about my journey to the trip and what being selected meant to me personal. i'd post my interactions with members of the team as well as others on social media in the thread as well as what i do personally to get ready for the event. I believe Cobra did the same last year and I enjoyed following it. I'd post photos from golf rounds, practice time, gym workouts and just other fun things that let people know how I'm going about getting to Captain T4K's goal of 10K laughs!!! As for equipment, pre event i'm already stocking a bag full of callaway clubs that i'd like to donate after the event to others as a way of paying it forward for the generousity shown to team thp by Callaway.

During the event, the sky and NDA is the limit. Social media photos and videos are a must. In the live thread, I'd make sure to have every aspect of the event covered in real time from ECPC to the tour to the bus ride all the way down to what's being done by zoocrew and team thp in downtime. I'd like to also add a nightly update of the days action. The live thread is huge and doing a nightly update via video upload with a different member or members of team thp each night would be great to provide another aspect of the event in words as they come to people, raw and honest. It probably wont be perfect but it would be great to show members and followers of the thread just how amazing the grandaddy is and what it's like to be a part of such an amazing event.

post event i'd make sure to continue with updates about emotions, gear, post event blues and recaps of the 3 days. Gear, most likely under NDA would be on full review mode with honest feedback, both good and possibly bad as well as multiple on course photos to back up the review and thoughts. I'm not a fast SS golfer so most likely my gear would be perfect for average golfers i'd meet on the weekend and get paired up with. If allowed, i'd offer them a chance to hit whatever is in my bag and post up their feedback as well just to add most input from as many golfers as I could because gear that good and an event this great doesn't need to kept a secret. I'd continue to post on social media as i have been which really is the way that i like to post about THP events and their sponsors. Without them, none of this is possible and I'd do my best to make sure they understand what a trip and being a part of something this amazing would mean to me.

"Innovate or Die"

innovate-or-die-86136526 (1).jpg

Some of you remember this ad campaign. This is when I started to notice Callaway. At first it wasn't about their product I noticed, it was their marketing. Bold and brash. Not taking a back seat to anyone. They were on Social Media, might not have been first but they made the biggest splash. Engaging with their customers, sharing pictures, information and offering free equipment giveaways. Pioneering OEM podcasts, starting and expanding their own Callaway user forums.

And I think (my perception is my own reality) that is when their club offering kicked up a notch. Not that they were making bad irons and metal woods. No, it’s just that “my perception” of Callaway was that they only made SGI irons and Big Berthas, but that is when I noticed the Forged X irons. All I had noticed before were irons I would not put in my bag, but these were different. They were gorgeous! Now, Callaway had my attention and soon I noticed their entire line seemed to evolve. Gone were the bore-thru heads and replacing them were clubs more esthetically pleasing. They embraced the challenge of returning to the top of mountain in equipment sales. They embraced the challenge of #ballwars. They looked outside the golf industry for ideas, Boeing, and materials, graphene.

Innovate or Die…indeed

I have been a big TM guy for years, I liked the shape of the woods. I liked the shape of their irons. But that is all changing. As I look at the Callaway offerings, I have to ask myself a couple questions. Will this benefit my game? Does it appeal to my eye? And more and more the answer is yes. My perception has not changed overnight, it is still evolving, but little by little it is changing.

I certainly have taken to one of their recent acquisitions, Toulon Design. I met Sean Toulon over 5 years ago on a golf trip. He hosted our group at dinner the last night and we spent most of that night talking about putters. And so when he launched Toulon Design, that was my first deviation from an all TM bag. I liked that I could build a putter to my taste and preferences. The Garage option has made it easy to build your own putter. Tour Issued, if you will, without the $$$ price tag.

As far as engaging with the readers/forum members. That will not be a problem. I like to interact on Twitter, Instagram and will post pictures and reviews in the Grandaddy thread. I have always been open to questions and will continue to share those to those who ask. Having been a member here since 2009, I know I haven’t been a part of everything that this forum has become. The amount of reviews and events is mind blowing! I will say that those of you that have reached out have made me feel very welcome. And I expect as more and more I interact with more members that will only grow.

Back