Contest: Engagement - The All Expenses Paid Trip of a Lifetime - The 2018 Grandaddy

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been on this forum for any period of time, you have seen mention of the Grandaddy. The greatest amateur event ever created. The 2018 edition is coming and we have a captain and assistant captain along with 7 members for the team, but we need a full team of 12 THPers. This is contest #8 and you could be joining them.

It is an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.

What's Included

Airfare
Hotels
Club Fitting at ECPC
Full bag of clubs
Tour Callaway
Meet R&D
Play Golf against the Zoo Crew (Callaway Marketing team)
Play at one of the finest courses you will ever step foot on
And so much more its ridiculous

Untitled-7-M.jpg

The Contest
There are many things that the Grandaddy alumni that support the event will tell you about this amazing trip. It can be a life changing journey and really change your outlook on the game that we all love. For this contest, we want to do something a little different. It is all about the brand creation that Callaway has changed over the last few years and we want to hear your honest thoughts on it.

Qualifying
You must be a 2018 Albatross Club Member to enter. The club is open to anybody and helps benefit a wonderful charity. Details here.

How to Enter
We want to hear about your plans for engagement. You can give examples of your past engagement. How you plan to review, or engage with THPers. Anything you want, and details count. If your post is going to say "I plan to post a lot and review my equipment", there is nothing wrong with that (and we hope so), but we are looking for something a bit more detailed and/or examples driven.

Good luck everybody. This contest will remain open until the end of the week.

Last year, when @DaCatalyst41 told me that I should join the AC and enter ShaftUp 3, I was hesitant, but ultimately did. What a whirlwind that was! When you come into contact with people that are truly passionate and believe in their product, like Danny @UST and, judging by their media presence and on this forum, the Calloway Zoo Crew, those feelings are absorbed.

After that trip, I truly felt like a part of the UST family and ambassador and have worked hard to act as such. Whether it was posting in the Recoil or Attas threads, reaching out privately with messages to THPers with questions, or telling people about recoils at my club, I’ve made it my duty to do so. Not so much because I feel obligated to, although I know that’s part of it, but because it’s the right thing to do and others deserve to have that knowledge.

I’d love nothing more than to share in this experience at the GrandDaddy with the already amazing THP team and The Zoo Crew, take everything away from that experience, and share it with others. It’s what being a THPer is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to be a fun one!

Another cool contest! Let's go guys!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

One of the critical components of the Grandaddy is the opportunity to discuss the gear. The "gear" has always been an umbrella term used for the amazing amount of items the team members actually get during this trip. Apparel, several types of bags (golf, travel, backpacks, etc), balls, and of course, the clubs. But, that's just a portion of the things that one can discuss and offer reviews on. From what I've witnessed through THP, Callaway prides itself on providing unequaled access to average golfers and continues to have an "open door" policy with their new releases, despite the risk they're taking with embargoed items. This displays a trust that I would pledge to uphold.

In exchange for that trust they've placed in me, I would look at it from two directions. First, one goal would be to offer my thoughts on all of the gear we had received, for the THP community, who are the consumers and those who may or may not purchase their next backpack, shirt, or set of irons from Callaway. Second, and just as important, is to offer my thoughts to, and about my experience (good or otherwise) to Callaway, themselves. It's not fair to them for me to say everything is fantastic, if there's shortcomings, or areas for improvement. Honesty has to be at the forefront of all reviews, if they're to be taken seriously. Another often forgotten point is that reviewing an item isn't just a quick couple of posts and move on, it has to be a prolonged process that should involve continued updating. We all know about the honeymoon period and how new gear suddenly "stops working" for you. A good reviewer will continue to work through that time and see if things change, improve, or stay the same. This is critical in being able to say whether something fits you and other golfers like you.

I feel that over the past three years here at THP, I've done a good job of offering my honest thoughts on multiple items that I've purchased, items I was given to test, and gear that I received in an event. I'm not a technical writer, and don't feel like I have to be in order to review well. The things I enjoy doing is giving my honest opinion on how each thing works for a high capper, like myself. How can each item, whether it be club, shirt, hat, rangefinder, or anything else, help a golfer like me, because, what works for me, may not work for a much better player, and vice versa.

When I look at the items I've reviewed (UST, balls, Morgan Cup gear, THP/Budget Golf Sweep), I think that I am able to present a good picture of the item(s), how they may benefit you, and also how the company that manufactured the item is to work with (if applicable). I've enjoyed getting to know folks from several companies that I've reviewed items for, and look forward to hopefully getting to know the folks from Callaway.

This will be very interesting to see the thoughts here. Good luck everyone!

As a fairly long-term THPer, Albatross Club member and THP event veteran, I have certainly learned the importance, and the fun it brings, of forum and social media engagement around events and equipment reviews. Involvement is something I cherish and relish about the entire process and have always enjoyed putting myself out there as the point man when it come to organizing and coordinating things such as event extra rounds, unoffical events and holiday gift swaps. I was a little apprehensive to jump into social media with both feet when I initially joined the forum, but for the past two years, have embraced that form of communication as it pertains to THP events, talking up equipment and just generally enjoying the fun and banter it can bring to the world of golf.

The most recent examples of my THP, event and brand engagement came with the Ben Hogan Iron Experience. I was very active in the event and equipment threads before, during and after the event with the willingness and desire to give details and answer questions about anything and everything around the event or equipment. Social media and the Ben Hogan website are other avenues I ventured into regarding the review of the equipment received at and after the event. Additionally, there was and has been a great deal of engagement with Hogan employees, fellow event participants, other THPers and people I come into contact with at area golf courses via various forms of communications during the entire process. I literally feel as though I have happily become a Ben Hogan Brand Ambassador and actually submitted an application to offically become one.

This diligent engagement will certainly continue and evolve with future brands, events and equipment that I am fortunate enough to become involved with through the forum, as well as other means. THP has taught me that people desire details, visual representations and experiences in order to make well informed decisions prior to parting with their hard earned money for equipment, accessories or trips and I am more than happy to be able to assist in that process in any way possible.

The one thing I have enjoyed the most from previous grandaddy participants was when they set their bags down and say try anything you want. I know it seems like a small thing, but let me expand on it.

As someone who isn't a great golfer and fears hurting other people's equipment, I never want to hit someone else's club, that's why I love demo day and demo equipment, no risk! So as a way to engage with as many people as possible both on and off THP, I'd like to open my Grandaddy bag to a 24/7/365 demo day mentality and always have it around for people to try the amazing equipment that callaway has so graciously gifted us.

Maybe it would be at a THP event, maybe it would just be at my home course, maybe I plan and prep a day and advertise and then have my own casual callaway demo day. I know it's easy to say we would review stuff and post on thp, which I think is a key element of the event, but I think getting people to hear the stories and experiences from the event tell the story that much more. I don't know for sure which social media channels, online, etc. I would use to get that story out, but I know for sure one of them would be youtube and trying to tell the stories from the golf direct from golfer's trying the equipment and testing it out.

reviewing gear is one of my favorite things to do. part of that is because practicing and playing golf is one of my favorite things to do. and part of that is because learning about and interacting with others about gear is my favorite thing about thp.

like many others, i have been known to buy golf clubs with a frequency that rivals breathing. i have also been fortunate to be selected for gear testing, and events that include new gear. i try to give meaningful feedback that i would want to read if i was pondering that same gear. i try to focus on going beyond simply, "wow, these irons are great" or "this driver is the best" because while we all want to see people play something that excites them, i feel more data points and in-depth feedback is necessary to help push someone one way or the other in a purchase decision.

i spent some time this morning listing the gear i can remember buying or receiving since i joined in july 2014, then searching for my post count in those threads. i came up with about 1,200 posts in those threads. many other members have far exceeded my post count in reviewing gear, but i have thoroughly enjoyed every opportunity i have received and hope that the feedback i have provided has been of some benefit.

i would be honored to have the opportunity to review all of the callaway gear received at the grandaddy!

Throughout my time on THP, I have always tried to just be myself whenever I post. There is only one mjkladis and I make sure to not fake my way to win something or just melt over equipment I receive for reviews. That’s something THPers can see right through and it’s almost pointless to try. Being myself is WAY easier anyways!

Getting to be in the Morgan Cup really showed me how much people really look forward to your own thoughts on equipment and how much engaging in the event thread other event threads means to other THPers. It’s very easy to get complacent but everyone on THP who isn’t lucky enough to get into these kind of events really want to live vicariously through you before and during the event. They also want to see that their events, thoughts and posts are just important. Staying involved in other threads is tough when you’re selected for an event but it’s great for this community to stay active. If I am selected, I might be in the Grandaddy but I am still a golf nerd and will talk with anyone about golf equipment and just about anything in general.

I really enjoyed making my unboxing videos for the clubs that were sent to us for the Morgan Cup. The laughs and the reception of those videos in the threads really made me looking like a golf club loving fool totally worth it. While I couldn’t show off the equipment at the Grandaddy (I respect NDA’s), I already have some fun content ideas to help stay engaged and add to the 10k laughs!! Some of my ideas would be some funny quick videos involving some of the Callaway guys at the actual event if time allows for it.

Reviewing equipment is a lot of fun to do and it’s something that these companies actually read (ESPECIALLY CALLAWAY) to see how their equipment is doing in the amateur golfing world. The reviews should give information that no one can really find on the internet. Most of the technical stuff is posted already so more personal experiences are something that I have always enjoyed in the reviews. It’s honestly what makes me want to go try out that driver, ball, putter or whatever was reviewed. Companies love getting more human information. This is really how I found my way into THP!! The human aspect of the reviews was more beneficial to me than the specs I could find anywhere. A company’s R&D team spends a lot of time and money making this equipment, the human perception is something that is very hard to grasp in simulations and robot testing. I have had a blast reviewing equipment on THP and I have been very fortunate to have had several reviewing opportunities on THP in the last 2 years. Reviewing equipment should be done honestly and as transparent as possible. I am also friends with an owner of a Pro Shop so my technical aspect of reviews will increase thanks to his recent addition of indoor hitting bays with launch monitors. I will stay consistent in my personal experience though because it’s something I really like sharing on THP.

Now, I will be honest and say that being picked for the Grandaddy could easily blind me to any flaws in their equipment right after the event but I plan to share my unbiased thoughts during my time with whatever they have in store as best as I can. Staying honest is something that benefits all of us and the golf companies for their future equipment. Who doesn’t want better equipment?

I love golf, I love talking about all things golf and I love THP. I will keep being engaged as much as I can and I plan on reviewing whatever I can whether I get into the Grandaddy or not. If I am selected, I feel like my obligation to stay engaged and to really commit to reviewing the equipment given by Callaway would be even stronger.

I have to break this answer down in to three parts. How it relates to me, how it relates to Callaway, and how it relates to the GD.

First, I love golf and all of its nuances. From gear, to architecture, and the overall experience of playing a round. I like to think I represent the new age of golf. Gone are the days (mostly) of golf being an elitist sport. I grew up playing at the same muni I still play at. Every time I play, usually as a walking single, or head to the range I see guys and gals I’ve played with before. I consider them my friends and love talking about things other than golf. With my background in writing and communications I love to write, talk, and debate with anyone willing to listen when it comes to anything related about golf.

Second, when it comes to Callaway I have always thought highly of the brand. Growing up when the Big Bertha was synonymous with drivers and the hex patterns of the CB balls and friends who all gamed the newest X series irons, Callaway was ever present in my golfing life. In recent years they have become, in my opinion, the most innovative company in golf. In addition to being innovative they have also become fun. They too are escaping the mindset of golf being a stuffy, elitist sport which goes a long way in building the game.

Third and lastly brings me to the GD. This brings the new vision and personality of golf to life. Bottom line — it’s about more than golf. This is what I stress to newcomers to the game. You’re spending hours outside, hanging with friends, having a great time all while playing a game you don’t have to be good at to enjoy. That definition applies verbatim to the GD as well. Bringing this experience to golf as a whole is the best way to engage with newcomers, those disenfranchised, and those a little hesitant to pick up the game. By engaging with people centered around the experience of how much fun the game can truly be is what makes the GD the best damn show in town.

In two days I will have been a member of THP for 7 years. In that time I have been lucky enough to participate in a few equipment reviews and I have to say that they are always a blast. I love going out to the course or the range and having something to focus on and I love being able to tell people everything I can find out about equipment.

I generally have only stuck to posting on THP but recently I decided that with all of the Grandaddy contests I wanted to also make an Instagram and Twitter so that I could better post about golf related “stuff”.

I am a pretty shy person but the equipment reviews on THP helped me break out of my shell quite a bit and I even posted videos on YouTube to help give more details on what I was seeing while I tested things.

I remember the first time I reviewed a club that I purchased on my own. I was so excited to make a thread on THP about it and made a quick video about the adjustability and how it easy it was to use. That video received over 7,000 views! I was shocked. I still am proud of the fact that I was able to contribute something that was helpful to so many people who were interested in a club.

One of the things that excited me most about the Grandaddy is the ability to talk to the people who are behind the clubs from both a marketing side as well as the engineering side. Having that knowledge helps build trust in a club. I use a putter that most people don’t know about because I got to talk with the inventor and I understand why it works the way it does and what it is supposed to do to help me. I want to know more about Jailbreak, Microhinge, and Graphene etc. but I want to be able to share that with more people so that they can understand what it does. I have learned a lot with the M3 testing about what each piece of technology was designed for and what it does and I think it would be so cool to have a deeper experience to learn not just about an entire bag of equipment but for an entire company.

So while the Grandaddy is a once in a lifetime experience for me I also would love to pass as much of that experience (that I am allowed to) through videos, pictures, and personal experiences to everyone else on THP and the internet.

Well i think thp had been a great but if fun since I've joined i love the meaning of being an albatross member and who it helps

I'm the guy that loves to learn about specs in golf, i have golfsmith for about 25 years now and i am always learning things in thp about three new stuff and due to curiosity of certain reviews on many shafts i have spent way more money personally on stuff just to see what the reviewer was seeing, some where bogus finding but many were not,lol

i quit golf for quite a while due 4 stage throat cancer that we beat, my cancer oncologists is a great golfer and we trashed talked about playing golf during my treatments down to even when i could not speak anymore, we did play the years after recovery i was 42 and it wasn't pretty and i didn't want to play again until now about 2.5 years ago my son wanted to play her is now 9 and I'm 48 and we both enjoy the game to the extint that's mostly what we do and talk about now lol he just won his first jr golf event by playing in an older age bracket 10/11 , so i guess I'm telling you guys this because my son would be amazed if i won this event because he and i would have so more memories to share about something involving golf , which we both love

Btw i still do club repair for some local golf courses and barton college so it would be cool to share this with them as well and don't worry thp would read all about this cool event, the good and the bad but i really couldn't see any bad in this one LoL

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

My engagement is pretty well documented throughout THP, and by that post count under my name haha. I love engagement, and have done so as much as I can in threads on equipment I am reviewing for THP, as well as inputting my thoughts on products I have picked up myself. It's one of the best parts about THP, and it shouldn't be too hard to engage about the Grandaddy and the custom experience provided :D.

Good luck to all that enter.

I have been hearing about this Grandaddy event ever since I joined and man do I want to get into the mix. I have done numerous reviews for companies in the past, Titleist, Vice, Monsta Golf and others. I love trying new things and am a "lets do something new" junkie. Becoming an Albatross Member was a no brainer for me as I spent quite a few years as an on air Personality on the radio for various stations, KEYB, WYYD, WRDJ and WLDJ just to name a few that i was on, others that i did commercials and voice overs for. Got to go to St Judes a few times to participate in Country Cares For ST JUDES KIDS. So if you need someone who is not afraid to jump up in front of a room and be the MC, i'm your man.
I was a smash baller for many years and just played to spend time with other guys in my unit, but then i feb l into a group of guys at Ivy Hills in Va. and started seeing just how good i could get. I studied the game and learned the swing. I got a lot better. Good enough that i had visions of trying to make the Sr tour when i turned 50. Heart issue and surgery put an end to that dream but I am back.
I can engage and get along with most anyone and spend the evening working the room as well as anyone. I can pull specs from my brain and have no problems writing a short not at moments notice right off the top of my head. I mean if you can talk for 2 minutes about nothin while waiting for the Ag sport to come in on the satellite feed, i can chat about golf for hours. My game travels real well and currently i play Mizuno blades with KBS c-tapers in them. although i just pulled the trigger on some FT Worth Blacks from Hogan Golf so we will see.
I grip and work on my own clubs, stay in shape and still plat Softball with the young ones, so lets go stomp some Zoo Crew Butt! I"M IN and besides..mama already gave me a kitchen pass.

I have no idea if I'm even eligible, but not only will I continue to invite and host THPers on the podcast, I'll be sure to do all future interviews with pants (or at least shorts) on at all times.

Awesome contest, excited to see the entries come in!

I have no idea if I'm even eligible, but not only will I continue to invite and host THPers on the podcast, I'll be sure to do all future interviews with pants (or at least shorts) on at all times.

You're an Albatross Club Member, you are eligible to enter.

Not too sure how happy your partners at Srixon would be but I don't know what kind of agreement was set in place.

For me my favorite engagement has been meeting up and playing with the local DFW THPers and that's something I look forward to doing more in the future.

If you look up “engagement” in the dictionary, the first definition given is “a formal agreement to get married”. Certainly this was not the “engagement” that JB was referring to, I said to myself. After considerable thought, however, perhaps that definition is more applicable than at first glance. A formal agreement to get married implies “commitment” and being picked to be a member of the Granddaddy Team requires just that.

It is a commitment to Callaway and the Zoo Crew to be most thankful and appreciative for all that they do to make the Granddaddy the event of a golfer’s lifetime. It is a commitment to spread the word of all that Callaway does day in and day out, how they involve the golfing community, and how they go about producing equipment that works for golfers of every skill level and how and why they are the #1 OEM.

It is a commitment given to THP management, JB, GolferGal and others, to be not only thankful but to be the type of gracious participant that will uphold the traditions of being a member of the THP Granddaddy team and one who will bring honor to THP.

It is a commitment to the rest of the THP Team to be the best teammate possible, to do everything imaginable to assist our Captain and other team members in meeting the Team goals in regards to laughs and birdies all the while developing relationships that can and will last a lifetime. It is a commitment to those teammates to help create experiences and memories that will be talked about for years

It is a commitment to the THP community to bring them as much of the experience as possible so they feel like they are almost a part of the experience themselves. To do this means not only documenting every aspect of the journey through pictures and words here, but also through the use of other social media, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. That includes reviewing and documenting not only the equipment but the fitting experience, the meals, the team members, the travel, sharing the stories…….in short, everything! It means a commitment to being on-line frequently to answer questions both in the forum and by private message in an expeditious manner.

Having previously had experience officially reviewing golf balls (OnCore) here on THP and never one to shy away from providing reviews and insights of my experiences with equipment on my own and providing pictures I have felt might be of interest to the community, I believe I am well qualified to bring “engagement” to a new level if given the opportunity.

Not too sure how happy your partners at Srixon would be but I don't know what kind of agreement was set in place.

They are a very understanding bunch.

You're an Albatross Club Member, you are eligible to enter.

Excellent!

Good luck to those entering to get into the trip of a lifetime that money can't buy!

Back