Tiger Woods Comeback

I'll expand on this more later but to get in on the conversation, he is lacking the killer instinct. The Open Championship is a perfect example. That was his for the taking. I'm sure it's happened, or maybe it's hasn't, but when's the last time someone in his group besides him one in a major? Especially when they weren't in the final group? Not taking anything away from The Champion Golfer of the Year, but that performance would have never beat yes the old Tiger.

Sure there are a lot of stats that point to how poorly he's playing. There's also stats that point out to how well he is. Primarily he has one of the best stroke averages this year. He's almost always in top ten position. It'll click. He'll have a week where he drives it well and putts great. That doesn't concern me, and he'll win that week. What makes me think we won't see the dominant Tiger again is the lack of a killer instinct. He hasn't shown that at all.

Jordan might argue that point. :sick:

He looked tired at Firestone. I love having him back and playing though. Any Tiger is better than no Tiger and he does still flash moments of brilliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am yet to even consider Tiger being a favourite for a win

Until he is able to put 4 very good rounds together he is not going to win in my opinion as that is the type of consistency that is needed these days - 1 or 2 good rounds is no longer good enough to put you in contention

If he can stay healthy and start to get more confidence, then maybe things will start to move in the right direction, but until then I don't see it happening at the bigger events

Maybe he needs to play in some of the smaller events to try and get a win to boost his confidence?

He looked tired at Firestone. I love having him back and playing though. Any Tiger is better than no Tiger and he does still flash moments of brilliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, any Tiger is better than no Tiger! Seriously the internet will explode if(when) he finally breaks through. I for one can't freakin wait!

He looked tired at Firestone.

He did indeed. And worn.

I challenge the notion that he is "healthy". He is playing. He has a spinal fusion, and given the torque he is placing on it, it won't last forever. The hardware in there and the way it attaches to bone is not meant to be trifled with the way he is.

And he is a recovering addict. We don't know what's going on in his personal life. All we see is what is in front of the camera. That may collapse tomorrow. I am one of those that hopes he is indeed healthy and able to sustain the pressures of returning to professional competition, but his face late Saturday and Sunday over the weekend told a very different story to me.

Carnoustie and it’s conditions were absolutely made for him. I’m not sure he’ll ever get a better chance.

I agree, any Tiger is better than no Tiger! Seriously the internet will explode if(when) he finally breaks through. I for one can't freakin wait!

I don't think he will again until the Senior Tour. It would be nice if he does, but with his current record, I just don't see it happening. He's just not that sharp. And not that hungry.

I sure hope so, because right now, he doesn't have it at all.

The question is, how long are people going to say "it's Tiger's week this week!" before eventually losing interest? That's really my issue with the non-stop coverage, even when he's nowhere near the top of the leader board. Once he wins, if he does, I totally get it. But right now, that carrot is getting old.

I don’t get why it’s a big deal for you that people rooting for him weekly. It’s seems like wasted energy. His fans will never lose interest and as long as he is playing, neither will the media.

I don’t get why it’s a big deal for you that people rooting for him weekly. It’s seems like wasted energy. His fans will never lose interest and as long as he is playing, neither will the media.

It's not a big deal that people root for him. It's a big deal that every Golf related news feed or website only talks about HIM. Sorry, but as good as he was, he doesn't deserve the sole spotlight anymore. Until he lights the world on fire again. Yes, he is the GOAT. I don't deny that at all. But when he's 15 shots back and nowhere near the top of the leaderboard, spotlighting him all over the place is asinine. So is spotlighting one birdie that he made, when others made multiples.

When he first came back, I got it. At this point, though? Come on.

I'm going to go out on another limb and call Tom Brady the GOAT. In the games he loses is all you see are highlights of a touchdown he threw in that game? Nope. No one cares. They care when he wins. If he doesn't, his on field performance (except to criticize) is not front page news. Every week. On every website and sports channel.

Pro sports is about winning. He hasn't and isn't winning since his return. People care that much about him losing? Or making one birdie like it's a monumental achievement because it's him? He became a sensation because of how dominating he was. I understand that completely. But now, too?

Last edited:
How long do you think that takes?
We past 10 years since his last major win, right? I get the injuries and I understand that it can take time. I question the idea that he is close, because not a lot of measurables are saying that. I said before that I believe he will win again, and I honestly still believe that. But as each week passes, I am questioning myself.

If he were your run of the mill player, I’d agree the metrics don’t point to him being close. But he is still hitting shots that very few can, wedge from the bunker at The Open. The one stat, for me, that needs to improve is his putting. He needs to make these birds everyone else seems to making.

It’s a pipe dream of mine that his wins a major. I think a tour stop comes first.

I agree that fans and the media will be interested, but the media need to balance their coverage at times

I don't watch live golf very often, so when watching the highlights, I get to see the good shots, but reading comments in various places about the coverage being Tiger this and Tiger that rather than showing the golf is not what I personally want to see - I want to watch golf and not Tiger walking from tee to ball

It's not a big deal that people root for him. It's a big deal that every Golf related news feed or website only talks about HIM. Sorry, but as good as he was, he doesn't deserve the sole spotlight anymore. Until he lights the world on fire again. Yes, he is the GOAT. I don't deny that at all. But when he's 15 shots back and nowhere near the leaderboard, spotlighting him all over the place is asinine. So is spotlighting one birdie that he made, when others made multiples? Nope.

When he first came back, I got it. At this point, though? Come on.

I’ll just say I don’t agree. I don’t want to go round and round.

I completely agree that what he's giving us right now is 2-2.5 rounds of good golf, and here's where I think I come down on it:

Putting together 4 consecutive rounds of great (or even good) golf isn't easy, even for the best players on the planet. Tiger is the best we've ever seen at it and he had an almost unreal ability to do it consistently over a long period of time. But it has been 5 years since he seriously played competitive golf, and even ignoring the health issues, it's not going to come back immediately. Also, he's now in his early 40s, and the simple fact is that it's generally harder to consistently win tournaments at that age than in your 20s or 30s. On top of that, the quality of the field as a whole is better now than it was 10-15 years ago. In any given week, there are a lot of really top notch players that can play absolutely lights out. That's not to say that they can do it every week or that they will all be in the Hall of Fame someday. But on a week-to-week basis, it only takes one. Just look at what Paul Casey did to Tiger at Valspar.

My take is that all of that adds up to a much tougher environment for Tiger. I think he will win again, but I'm not sure it will be this year. I don't discount his ability to win another major, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't either. All in all, I think he can consistently compete and he's likely to be even more competitive with a little more time. But I don't think we'll ever see the same dominance and I don't really think he does either.

I agree that fans and the media will be interested, but the media need to balance their coverage at times

I don't watch live golf very often, so when watching the highlights, I get to see the good shots, but reading comments in various places about the coverage being Tiger this and Tiger that rather than showing the golf is not what I personally want to see - I want to watch golf and not Tiger walking from tee to ball

Like it or not, he brings in the ratings. If a casual sports fan is clicking through the channels and TW is on the screen, they will stay. If it’s just golf, they won’t. He brings in the dollars that bring in the best golfers. His presence on tour is why we have DJ, JT, JS, Rors and other world beaters.

It's an interesting thought, but here is another to consider. Rory is virtually right next to him in driving accuracy (173rd) so for all of the knocks of his putting being the problem, maybe there is more to it.

Rory left shots on the course with monster drives in the fairway followed up by poor distance control with his wedges. That's been a problem with him for a while now. That may not be as much of a problem as his putting but it seems close to it.

With TW, I think he may win again but I doubt we'll see any more of TW of old where he is better than everyone, especially mentally. He'll never be longer than everyone the way he was but it seems apparent that he still wants to be. With the 2 way driver miss, and an iffy putter, he isn't confident enough or good enough that his really good iron play is able to save him.

I counted the other day on the PGA TOUR and PGA.com Facebook pages. He was waaaay off the lead and there were 10 stories to every 1 of Tiger vs. THE REST OF THE FIELD. 10 stories about Tiger's (lackluster) performance to 1 story of everyone else playing. Including the leaders and the eventual winner.

Those pages aren't the Tiger Fan Club pages. They are supposed to highlight all of golf. Which Tiger is not. Not anymore.

If he were your run of the mill player, I’d agree the metrics don’t point to him being close. But he is still hitting shots that very few can, wedge from the bunker at The Open. The one stat, for me, that needs to improve is his putting. He needs to make these birds everyone else seems to making.

It’s a pipe dream of mine that his wins a major. I think a tour stop comes first.

That is a hard one to fathom. He was in my opinion the best putter inside 15 feet ever, and definitely in the modern era, yet now it is pretty far off.

Jordan might argue that point. :sick:

Old Tiger wouldn't have given up the lead on the back nine on Sunday at a Major. It wasn't like anyone really made a major (no pun intended) move and lit it up lie Jordan did last year.

Old Tiger wouldn't have given up the lead on the back nine on Sunday at a Major. It wasn't like anyone really made a major (no pun intended) move and lit it up lie Jordan did last year.

He did once but I get your point.

That is a hard one to fathom. He was in my opinion the best putter inside 15 feet ever, and definitely in the modern era, yet now it is pretty far off.

Yes he is, he doesn’t have the speed or the line. Maybe joe and he should work on the lines and all he has to do is get the line.

I watch his playing partners make putts and he is just off. Well that ain’t gonna get it done. Is he putting better with the new putter? Do we have info on that?

Yes he is, he doesn’t have the speed or the line. Maybe joe and he should work on the lines and all he has to do is get the line.

I watch his playing partners make putts and he is just off. Well that ain’t gonna get it done. Is he putting better with the new putter? Do we have info on that?

Could you make the argument that he has not been able to putt as well since Stevie?

Could you make the argument that he has not been able to putt as well since Stevie?

Maybe, but his last actual good/healthy year he putted pretty well.

Then again, it’s easy to putt well when you’re giving yourself good chances to do so. This crap to 30-40ft doesn’t exactly help the putting stats all that much.

Maybe, but his last actual good/healthy year he putted pretty well.

Then again, it’s easy to putt well when you’re giving yourself good chances to do so. This crap to 30-40ft doesn’t exactly help the putting stats all that much.

You could make the case that that is this year, based on his own words.

You could make the case that that is this year, based on his own words.

Also true. I haven’t been super impressed with his putting this year, but I haven’t been impressed with his proximity to the hole either. I’m not asking for knocking down flagsticks, but I’m pretty sure 20ft is easier than 35ft

Back