Tiger Woods Comeback

I've got a bigger bridge and some marsh land to sell you if you think he's going to win another Major on the regular tour.

So you think he never wins another major?

So you think he never wins another major?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he doesn't, but neither do I. I think he gets 2 regular tour wins at most.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he doesn't, but neither do I. I think he gets 2 regular tour wins at most.

I personally think he wins one more regular Tour event to make it to 80 wins total and then he's done.

Not on the Regular Tour, no. Senior Tour, perhaps.

So what are your feelings on him finishing tied for sixth at a major and finishing just 3 strokes off the lead. You think that was an anomaly or that he can't clean things up enough to make up that three strokes?

The stats clearly show he has a long way to go, but the fact that he is playing at all after all the surgeries is a win no matter how you look at it. He will win again, and once he does he will gain confidence and then there is not telling what he will do once he gets that.

So what are your feelings on him finishing tied for sixth at a major and finishing just 3 strokes off the lead. You think that was an anomaly or that he can't clean things up enough to make up that three strokes?

Anomaly at this point. I think it was a huge tease for all of the fans, and I think that was his best shot. I don't think he actually really scares the lead again. Top 10's, sure, I think he's back to being able to be a top 10 player each tournament. But I don't think he gets many wins at this point, unless that putter really turns around fast. I think if he doesn't win this year, that he doesn't play many more, as he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to just play for top 10's/20's.

I was just going to text you to send me this picture haha im going to find this and buy it

PGA Superstore has this shirt...I believe its by U Suck at Golf clothing company.

Started year 650th ranked.
Now 51st.

47th in fedex with only 13 events played

Is he back to his previous self...no
Is he back to dominating...no
Is he back to competing....yes

^^^^ Sums it up perfectly. There is a chance he wins a regular Tour event at some point in the future, but I'm not sure about his chances for another Major. Anything is possible, but I just think too many players match or exceed his abilities RIGHT NOW, and that will make winning very tough for him. I'm glad to see him competing and I'm sure he'll make some run at winning -- which is exciting and good for the game overall.

Tiger Woods is one of the most driven athletes I've ever witnessed and was one of the most mentally tough. He certainly has his share of demons but I don't think he would be out there unless he truly felt he could win major championships. If he starts winning I wouldn't be surprised if he pops off a few in a row. Alternatively, if he stops believing he can win majors I think we see him hang it up as a competitor. I'm in the camp that wants to see that glimmer of greatness again but I'm a realist so I'm just grateful to see him playing and having a chance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He didn't win. I don't think he has the mental toughness to win in a Major anymore. And yes, I don't think he can clean things up enough. He made the same mistakes two weeks in a row and seems to continue to shine in the first couple of rounds, but then make errors that cost him contention down the stretch. Those are all mental errors in nature. Things he did not do in the past.

Despite none of those individual stats being stellar, he's 8th in total strokes gained this year, and surrounded on that list by players who have won this year. It shows that he's consistently in the mix, and bound to break through sooner or later if he keeps playing. I don't know if "comeback" is the right word, considering where tiger set the bar, but if he wins this year it would be a massive achievement.

I'm not sure he'll ever be as dominating as he once was, but he can be as good once as he ever was...

I think he still has multiple wins in him. Here's a few other stats:

SG: Approach the green - 6th
SG: Around the green - 9th
SG: Tee to Green - 14th
SG: Total - 8th

I think he's missing a few small tweaks and we will really start to see him shine again.

Now 51st.

I think there's a lot of "Sure this isn't it, right?" about this comeback. He can't be all the way back because he's not winning. No one wants to say that this comeback trail ends with "makes cuts" and "doesn't have the chipping yips anymore." We were kinda ready for a Tiger forced into pseudo-retirement by back problems. We've grown kinda comfortable with Tiger on the comeback trail. I'm not sure anyone is ready for Tiger Woods, fringe top-25 player, or Tiger Woods getting tour wins against lightweight fields.

Tiger Woods getting tour wins against lightweight fields.

I don't think it matters what the field is. If he can get another, more power to him. I actually think he would be better served playing more tournaments in general. That can't do anything but help his chances. I don't think most will say, "Wow, he got his 80th Tour win, but the field was horrible". As jaded as I am about this, I wouldn't say that at all. A win is a win is a win. And if he gets it, I will certainly cheer.

What do you mean by comeback? If we are talking about getting back to the dominance of 15 years ago, no chance. That will never happen. One of the reasons is players today may respect him, but they aren’t scared of him like they were when he was in his prime.
If you mean getting into a position to win, then yes, despite the stats, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him win in the very near future.

#FiberLaunch

This was basically the way he was playing a couple of years ago before the last couple of surgeries. His putting was off and his short game was horrible. He is a family man now and I am sure he doesn’t put in the time like he used to. He doesn’t have Earl in his ear to motivate him like he did when he was his best. It’s kind of like Jordan’s last couple of years in Charlotte. Showed a flash here and there but no true dominance like everyone is expecting. Our hero’s get old and beat up just like we do. Have the same issues and everyday drama of life. I am pretty sure he’s in a happy place. It’s the fans who make more out of it than he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at his season finishes, he doesn't look like he played too poorly and could have been in contention to win a bunch...until you look at what the winners are doing. 2 of his top 5 finishes were still 8 and 10 shots off the lead. A 9th, 11th, and 12th place finish were 10, 7, and 8 shots back respectively.

T9 * Hero - off the lead by 10
T23 * Farmers - off the lead by 7
Cut * Genesis Open
12 * Honda Classic - off the lead by 8
T2 * Valspar - off the lead by 1
T5 * Arnold Palmer - off the lead by 8
T32 * Masters - off the lead by 16
T55 * Wells Fargo - off the lead by 14
T11 * The Players - off the lead by 7
T23 * Memorial - off the lead by 6
Cut * US Open
T4 * Quicken Loans - off the lead by 10
T6 * The Open - off the lead by 3
T31 * WGC Bridgestone - off the lead by 15

Valspar and the Open are his best actual finishes, where you could argue he was in it with a chance to legitimately win. Is that enough for Tiger? Given his situation at the moment, I'd personally say yes. The positive is that he's showing flashes of good golf, but with the current crop of 20 somethings, along with the "old" guard of guys like Rose, Stenson, and Bubba currently...I'm not sure it's enough for more than a win or two in regular events.

Maybe the Tiger fans can answer - but is an 8 shots back Tiger good enough? And more importantly in relation to the thread, is that and his current body of work above considered "back" for him?

Anomaly at this point. I think it was a huge tease for all of the fans, and I think that was his best shot. I don't think he actually really scares the lead again. Top 10's, sure, I think he's back to being able to be a top 10 player each tournament. But I don't think he gets many wins at this point, unless that putter really turns around fast. I think if he doesn't win this year, that he doesn't play many more, as he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to just play for top 10's/20's.

I got roasted (by the owner) on another site for suggesting exactly what you said in your the last sentence Saturday night. I love it that on this one, everyone stays civil and has a respect for other people's opinions.

I got roasted (by the owner) on another site for suggesting exactly this Saturday night. I love it that on this one, everyone stays civil and has a respect for other people's opinions.

Yea, Tiger is a hard subject in general. He IS golf to a lot of people, and he's someone that brought many into the game, especially to the point that made them want to join golf forums and take it to the level of hobby or passion. It's also what makes it really hard to put into perspective what "back" really means for someone of this caliber. I'd argue the level he's currently playing, for anyone else, would be crazy after the physical issues he's had to deal with recently. It's just so hard to gauge for Tiger because he put on arguably the most dominant decade of sports performance of maybe anyone ever in any sport. Hell, Vegas had the odds of him vs THE FIELD every week. That's insane.

So...back in terms of golf, absolutely. He's playing great considering it was hard for him to move the past couple of seasons. Going through back issues myself over the last few years, him performing at this level and being able to swing with that club speed is nuts.

Back in terms of Tiger though...I don't know. It's hard not to still expect more from him.

I got roasted (by the owner) on another site for suggesting exactly what you said in your the last sentence Saturday night. I love it that on this one, everyone stays civil and has a respect for other people's opinions.

Funny, I got banned from a site for being called an asshole and defending myself when I suggested that Tiger was doing more harm than good to his health by returning so quickly after the 3rd surgery. Sadly, I can't go back there and discuss how he needed a 4th because of it. Oh, well.

He needs a G400 Max! ;)

We were so spoiled when TW was in his prime. He made every clutch putt, no matter if was to save par or eagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now 51st.

Actually, he was 668th after the HERO last November and 539th after the Farmer's in February. I could be wrong, but I think he actually went down the list between November and February.

EDIT: After a little search, I did find he was 656th on Dec 31, 2017. He was #1,199 on On Nov 25, 2017.

Last edited:
Back