The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

I really really really want to do my "people" recap, but I'm making myself wait until last with that so I get through all the other days/happenings. So much awesome to put into words.

Same boat as you sir. My people recap is going to be an emotional one. We had an incredible team

Hahaha that product testing video is gold. "Maybe the only negative thing is it didn't take its own tags off"

The Zoo Crew has 39 Tags in the THP Hall of Fame!
Let that sink in for a minute or two.

God that's a lot

Not to distract from the recaps but I need to add this little number to the equation. Huge thank you to Matt (Harvmp28) for picking this up for me at The Hideaway pro shop.

Before the event Matt noticed a post I made about misplacing the towel that I bought at last year's Grandaddy and offered to pick me up a replacement! This appeared yesterday in a fancy Hideaway gift bag and I can't thank Matt enough! (Seriously, you better PM your PayPal info broseph!)

Holy cow that's a lot, and how many different members of zoo crew hold those? I know their roster has shifted a bit from event to event.

Holy cow that's a lot, and how many different members of zoo crew hold those? I know their roster has shifted a bit from event to event.

I know three of us account for 15 of them!

Good lord that 5X HOF tag looks good when you see it on the desktop.

Good lord that 5X HOF tag looks good when you see it on the desktop.

It definitely stands out and I want one

I really really really want to do my "people" recap, but I'm making myself wait until last with that so I get through all the other days/happenings. So much awesome to put into words.

I'm saving mine for the end as well. Gonna be hard to really get the right emotions out onto paper (or laptop)

They've certainly won their fair share of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally managed to watch the recap video on my desktop and it looks just as amazing as I thought it would, so much so that I watched the video memories from last year as well

Jen came in whilst I was watching it and asked if this was the video for where I wanted to be and I think she is actually understanding what something like this would mean to me if I was to make it. It can be hard to explain to people what this is all about, but I mentioned it to a few people at my badminton club last night and they couldn't believe how much of an experience you guys got and it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of them eventually found their way here as well because of this event

I will never give up on the hope of one day being one of the lucky few, but until then I only wish to see this event continue to flourish as it has done for the past 3 years

"This has gotta be the good life"

It sure as hell is. And I miss it like crazy

even with Neb's damndable Nebraska N on there (BOOMER!)

It was going to be just a regular red N to add a splash of color, but apparently markers bleed something crazy when you write on a flag, so I found a felt tip and made the best of the situation.

(Rallo product testing below):
[video=youtube;3NJJ4aymN-I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NJJ4aymN-I[/video]

I miss this guy's crazy antics, and the rest of you something fierce. I had no idea how quickly and thoroughly we'd all bond, but dang if you guys didn't have a huge impact on me in such a short time. Shoot, I'm going through a dust storm...

The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

continuing my recaps...

Day 3 - Tuesday

I woke up a early on Tuesday morning, got ready and just went and sat in an outside courtyard with a nice waterfall area to reflect on everything I’d been through so far, and the great golf and course I was about to experience. I made sure to keep telling myself to just soak it all up, stay in the moment, and enjoy every second of it. I think I’d been doing a pretty good job of that so far, but the time still just seems to fly by. Both teams gathered in the lobby and the we were finally on our way to see The Hideaway in the daylight. Pulling up to that guard “shack” and driving up to the club was a surreal experience. Matt Woods was there to greet us as we got off the bus, and show us to the locker room. The locker room was huge, and our spots were all the way in the back. When we get there Matt tells us to find our lockers we’ll be using for the next 2 days..the ones with our names on them. Sweet! Again, Matt making us feel like members for the two days we’ll be playing there. After admiring the locker room for a bit, we head up to breakfast, where I grabbed a couple of the breakfast sliders. I only had 2, but could have ate 5 or 6. One of the reasons I stopped was because I heard JB say something to the tune of not stuffing yourself now, there is so much good food to be had on the course. Wise words indeed. Finally, the time had come to walk down to the carts and see our gear for the first time. The walk to the carts was my first view of the course in daylight, and it was stunning. I think I was stuck in place for a few moments as everyone else filed past me. The pictures really do not do this course justice! I couldn’t believe I’d be playing 45 holes out here over the next 2 days! Picking my jaw off the ground I continued to the cart area, to see all of our bags lined up. Jaw, meet ground, again. The brand new clubs fit for me, the special Grandaddy logo bag, simply stunning. And 2 dozen prototype balls already loaded in the bag! Time to hit the range. I grab Mike_G (my playing partner) for the next 27 holes and we head over to the range to get warmed up. One cool thing about the range are the attendants walking around cleaning your clubs off after you hit them. Well, that’s something I’ve never experienced before. I was hitting all of my new clubs really well on the range, and was just hammering the GBB driver, which was very encouraging. My driving had been off in the weeks leading up to the event. I spent some time rolling putts on the green before Matt Woods gathered us all in and reviewed the formats and guidelines for the day. After that, it was time to golf!

07c428ea2db1d24bd927a00ba122fb2e.jpg
f7078e2b3041598d2b759220faeacff4.jpg
c330fdd224d703b25f6c0f35c0fee207.jpg
39614a0c6f77332f823f7c9e209b7229.jpg

We started on the Dye course, hole 18B. First matchup was a 9 hole Shamble against Ethan and ScottyG. The 18th hole is a beast of one to start on. A par 5 with a nice water carry for the drive. And Mike_G and I watched our teammates in front of us put both of their tee shots in the water. I remember stepping up to the tee wanting to just hit a safe shot so the pressure would be off Mike_G. I launched my drive right up the middle of the fairway, middle of the middle stripe, and pretty far too. Probably the best I’ve ever felt with a 1st tee shot, ever.

139a74ec7f7986421032dcc0e6a905e5.jpg

The rest of the match was just back and forth the whole time. At one point we had them down 2, but Ethan and Scotty just kept fighting back. Great guys and super fun to play with, but I’m not gonna lie, there were some intense holes. Mike_G was a great partner and we really started to click after the first couple holes. We played really well off of each other, and just had a great time out there. His music playlist has more variety than anybody I’ve ever met, but I was digging it. Ethan is just a solid all around golfer. He mistakes a small, and he always recovers well. His short game around the green was exceptional. ScottyG had some amazing putts as well. Just when you think you have them, he comes out and pulls off a great approach shot or solid putt to get them right back in it. The first match went down to the last hole, and Ethan and Scotty ended up fighting back to halve the match. I had 3 putts that lipped out that round, and if they fall it’s a different outcome. I was proud of the way Mike and I played, and knew we could do better next round if I just picked up my putting and continued to play the way I had been. Match 2 was a rematch with Scotty and Ethan, this time fourball. Another back and forth match, where I don’t think either team got to more than 2 ahead. MikeG really played solid this 9. I remember one hole I was in my pocket, as was Ethan, and Mike was out there grinding while Ethan and I are on the green “cheers-ing” our chicken wrap sandwiches (since our drinks were on the cart) and watching them grind out the hole. It was another match that went down to the last hole, with us losing. I think I left some putts out there again. (Note to future Grandaddy participants reading this - so many of the holes were decided by putts dropping or not. It really did all come down to the short game in the end for us). Our final round of the day was with ScottyG and DNevs. This would be true alternate shot due limited daylight left. So glad this was the last format for the day, as there can really be some pressure on you for some of those shots. Scotty and DNevs had us down most of the match, but never by much. We always fought back, just couldn’t turn the tide and take the lead. Another match that came down to the last hole. A clutch drive by MikeG and approach by me sealed the deal, and we took the hole to halve the match. Even though MikeG and I were having a blast out there, those 27 holes take a toll on you at the end of the day. Especially when each of the matches comes down to the last hole. I remember finishing up and thinking, how awesome is it that I get to play here again tomorrow? I also have to say that the comfort stations were everything that people said they would be. The snacks and food there are so delicious. Nothing picks you up after having a tough hole then rounding the bend to see a comfort station waiting for you.

2454438751163496d8c59387df2a6498.jpg

After golf we all got back on the bus and headed to the hotel to shower and get ready to go out to dinner. This was the first time I was able to check the THP forum all day. I had been posting updates, but not able to follow along because the thread was enfuego! I really was floored at how many people were following along, posting encouragement and comments. I’ve went back and read the thread a few times, and it’s still pretty impressive to see. At dinner I sat between a couple ZooCrew guys, Jeff Newton and Dave Neville (DNevs) and had a really great conversation with both of them. Jeff didn’t get to play this year, but he was on the course providing updates to the forum. A really cool dude and glad I got to meet him. Had a really good conversation with Dave about putting, and he filled me in on the basics of AimPoint. He’s a good testament to it working, as he was putting extremely well when he played against us, and that would carry over into the next day as well. I somehow even ended up with a Moscow mule or two, that must have been ordered for me by one of my teammates, who were having plenty at the other end of the table. Time to get pairings together for singles, and Jman asks me how I played today. I told him I thought I played pretty well, and was pretty confident, so put me with anybody he wants. Turns out I would be matched up with Ethan, so I knew I was in for a battle. He’s a par machine, and never is never out of a hole. But, I had a blast with him in our first two matches, so I was excited to get out with him again. After dinner, we all headed back to the hotel bar and lobby again and it was another fun night with Team Redemption and the ZooCrew. I’ll say it again, these night recaps at the hotel bar were some of the funnest times. Just a really great group of fun people to be around, talking golf, life or whatever. This may have also been the night that Rallo turned into a verb and “FYF” was born (eff your face).

To be continued….next up Singles play and closing thoughts….

I dont think we could have asked for a better looking custom head cover for our putters to match our bag. I absolutely freaking love it

Missing my teammates. One more #FlatBrimMeanMugginSelfie for them

67ae80f1dc6247f32e5eb474f61c0fba.jpg

Love it Dean
625942e910bf5739c9479a4e1ff7d863.jpg

Characters

Man I miss you guys

Way too many flat brims.
Although even that might be better than rope hats.

Was thinking of all you guys today. I think I've worn something from the grandaddy every day since I've been back
0c2c30db2060ca1549adca64a9f8598c.jpg

Way too many flat brims.
Although even that might be better than rope hats.
Speaking of...AJ owes me one of those

Was thinking of all you guys today. I think I've worn something from the grandaddy every day since I've been back
0c2c30db2060ca1549adca64a9f8598c.jpg
I wore that jacket to work every day this week

I wore that jacket to work every day this week

I love this jacket. Fits great and is perfect for the 40 degree day

Back