Mom & Pop vs Big Box vs Online

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not pertaining to golf, but in general how do you view your shopping? Be it food, gifts, specialty items, etc.

Food is the chain grocery stores. Gifts depending what it is could be online or mom and pop. I guess that depends if special gift or something obtainable pretty much anywhere. I don't buy many clothes online unless I have gotten previously online and it fit well, I usually like to be able to try them on.

We try to keep it local when we can but online is just so easy

I like to keep it local, and I'm happy to pay a bit more as long as the service provided is good. In some cases, including some of our supermarkets, the prices are both better and the service is exemplary.

Other options, like Electronics, there's really no local options.

There’s a lot of good in a local established mom & pop restaurant. We had a lot of those in upstate NY and there was the greatest Italian pasta place that I would go to every day if I could. Seems a lot harder to find in bigger places that I have lived in like South Florida and in North Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I typically try to buy local or indie all the time.

I shop local whenever I can. I pay more for beer to get it off-post and from local businesses. I get my golf stuff locally when it's not a screaming deal (the local store, Bonaventure, happens to be pretty awesome,) and I do my best to eat at local joints rather than mass market...except for Zaxby's. I can't say no to Zaxby's.

It's nice that we can go with local knickknacks when getting gifts for people because our frequent moves mean friends and family that we send local stuff to tend to get new local stuff every couple of years.

I’m a convenience guy first.... price second on pretty much anything.... food, clothes, golf.... car.... if I can do online awesome... count me in.... golf equipment is different in that I will check out the box store first... if they have and I like/want I look online.... if I’m at a shop and must have I usually will buy there but I always ask for a discount... convenience 1.... price 2...

When it comes to groceries we buy as much as possible in our town. Almost everything else is wherever we can get the best deal.

Food of all kind is local, most other things are online. That includes dog food, electronics, movies, books, small appliances, golf clubs/balls/gear/clothes.

Heck, I even have my toothpaste shipped from England via Amazon.

Gardening supplies are still 90% local, preferring local hardware over big-box.

It is getting increasingly harder to shop local and even a older guy loves finding ways not to drive to a store. I was in Charleston SC this weekend with the family.Used to be tons of local stores. Far less now and even the big boxes are having a hard time. I used to call on local running shops in the south. Many of them are going out of business which forces customers to the internet and to Dicks. I like to support local restaurants and breweries. The vast majority of my hotels are either Hilton or Marriott properties. A little Arbnb mixed in. Gifts are increasingly becoming Amazon. Local golf stores in my town are becoming hard to find.

I've ordered quite a few things recently on Amazon and I often order groceries online and pick them up at the store. The last thing that I want to do most days after work is interact with more real-life people. I think that this has led to my lack of golf this year because I don't want to spend 4.5 hours with three potentially weird randos.

Are you sure that you want to trust the English on dental care? :beat-up:

Food of all kind is local, most other things are online. That includes dog food, electronics, movies, books, small appliances, golf clubs/balls/gear/clothes.

Gardening supplies are still 90% local, preferring local hardware over big-box.

Hudson’s!!!

I try to buy local where I can, even from the big box stores. That money goes into jobs and hours for the local store, even if not all the profit stays local. I prefer mom and pop, as long as the price is close. Restaurants I VASTLY prefer local over a chain.

If I need it quick and cheap I’ll shop Amazon even though I kinda hate Jeff Bezos.

I've ordered quite a few things recently on Amazon and I often order groceries online and pick them up at the store. The last thing that I want to do most days after work is interact with more real-life people. I think that this has led to my lack of golf this year because I don't want to spend 4.5 hours with three potentially weird randos.

Are you sure that you want to trust the English on dental care? :beat-up:
LOL... there's a certain toothpaste tech with "Novamin," I think it is. Claim is that it repairs fine imperfections and small cavities.

Works for me as proven through dental scans. Was available here before being banned without explanation. Thinking the powers that be lobbied against for some odd reason ($$$).

Hudson’s!!!

I try to buy local where I can, even from the big box stores. That money goes into jobs and hours for the local store, even if not all the profit stays local. I prefer mom and pop, as long as the price is close. Restaurants I VASTLY prefer local over a chain.

If I need it quick and cheap I’ll shop Amazon even though I kinda hate Jeff Bezos.
Yup!

Love that place, they're all so darn nice and helpful there.

For most things I keep it local when possible, even if it does cost a little more. I also always buy online before I buy at the big box stores. Mainly when it’s something I can’t get from a smaller local shop and because the prices are much better online generally.

I would always prefer shopping local. Mom n pops. However sometimes convenience overrides loyalty and I opt for the box store because I know they have what I need. However, I will always pay a couple bucks more to help the local store first and foremost.

I love it when I can support a small business instead of big companies. When I turn to large companies, I try to support those who support the things I value and if a store has made it clear they don't support the things I value, then I steer clear of them at all costs. My boycott list includes Target, Yum! Brands (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, WingStreet), Chipotle, Buffalo Wild Wings, and I'm sure there are others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'd sum up our habits this way.
1.) Groceries: Costco (80-90%) and local Mom & Pop for unique items / fresh produce (10-20%)
2.) Gifts: online (60-70%) and local Mom & Pop (30-40%)
3.) Restaurants: Mom & Pop which includes the golf course restaurant (~75%) and chain (~25% and dropping)

When it comes to restaurants we only eat at non chain locations. They may have more than one locations but either owned by a family or small group of investors. We look for fresh made and local ingredients whenever possible.
Grocery stores are a whole different ball game. We usually go to farmers markets and then supplement with Sprouts and Whole Foods. Buy almost entirely organic and spend way too much money. But as I tell my daughter, we gotta have clean fuel!
Gifts are purchased mostly handmade, mom and pop.
Electronics and golf type purchases are made almost entirely online. Too many options online and prices are usually much cheaper. I have been using Greentoe.com and been getting some good deals. It’s name your price so only pay what you want to pay.

1. Mom and pop
2. Made in Canada
3. Online
4. Big box.

Always looking for a deal/steal.

Always looking for a deal/steal.

This is how I feel. Shopping for the deal is ideal for me and all of those places have deals. Just have to be on the prowl.

For Golf Clubs, id always rather support a local mom/pop shop over a big box or online all day.

Electronics, im going for online. I need the deals lol

I love supporting mom and pops but if I am being 100 percent honest I find my self using prime more and more often

Back