An Ugly Swing That Seems to Work - Francis Ouimet Foundation Golf Marathon 108 Holes!

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
A little back story to this swing. For years I played irons with shafts too stiff and heavy, stock length S300 DG Stiff. After a great fitting at Club Champion I was fit into a set of Taylormade P790, half inch down, Aerotech Steelfiber i95's, 2 flat, and they adjusted the lofts to have equal spacing in the set. I am still getting used to the clubs but I have gone from a push and push cut to a nice high, baby draw. I am incredibly happy with how these feel, especially on my leading left hand that has suffered past injuries and diagnosed tendonitis. I felt like I was striking the ball really well but after viewing the video my caddie (my wife) took jeez... what an ugly swing. For years I have worked on some form of a stack and tilt swing and I have moved out of a bad habit of coming across the ball and my divots now shot either a square strike or coming in from the inside. I am just shocked at how close my hands come to my beer gut, jeez... no wonder my hand hurts!

I just wrapped up the Francis Ouimet Golf Marathon and finished up with 108 holes, unfortunately I missed my goal of 200! Picked up some pointers on how to rack up more holes from some vets! So excited for next year. I worked a 135 par 3 (basically everyone played from the reds to help rack up holes for charity) and I birdied the hole 13 times out of 54 holes finishing up +1 on that stretch. On a side note, I feel terrible for this grounds crew. We destroyed this tee box and 5 inches of rain two days prior left greens soft, the ballmarks were insane.

Please, take a look at this... laugh at this ugly swing, revel in it, toss some pointers, share your ugly swing stories.

Moved to golf talk since this isn’t about swing tips.

I am genuinely interested in learning how this ugly swing just gets the ball to the hole. I mean, I was super happy with my ball striking, GIR's were up... but god, that is ugly.

i don’t think it’s very ugly. pretty solid to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like a pretty good swing to me!

Thats a heck of a golf marathon! Well done and nice swing!

How a swing looks is over rated. I have seen guys with beautiful looking swings shoot 90+ and I have seen guys with swings where I’m amazed they even make contact shoot close to par. Do what works. Also your swing looks fine to me.

That swing ... you are like a model complaining that she's fat.

Looks good to me. The main thing though, does the ball go where you want it to? If so, who cares what it looks like!

The only real thing I see is that on your backswing you are not turning your hips enough to get your weight back to the inside of the right leg. See how your straight your right leg stays? That's a key indicator. Visualize yourself swinging in a barrel & rotate around the inside of the barrel without hitting the sides with your hips. See the gap between your right hip & the red line? That should only be about an inch apart. Not as far as you have it here.

swing#1.jpg

Also, look at about the :18 second mark ... see how in your follow thru, your right hand is overtaking your left? And your left hand is "cupped" against your side? You need more arm rotation thru & past impact. Let the natural flow of your swing allow the forearms to rotate and your right hand to roll over the left. Take your right index finger and "point" it to the target thru impact. Key to help you rotate the right hand thru over your left. More arm extension = more distance. Look at Rory McIlroy's follow thru ...

swing#2.jpg

Look at Rory McIlroy's follow thru ... small gap between the line coming from the outside of his right front & hip. Arm extension thru & past impact

swing#3.jpg

It’s not as ugly as mine

Sent from HTX

That swing ... you are like a model complaining that she's fat.

Legit trying to get better! I’m not looking for any kind of praise lol... sorry if it came across that way.

Looks good to me. The main thing though, does the ball go where you want it to? If so, who cares what it looks like!

I feel as if I start with a closed stance and aim right so perhaps the realistic ball flight I’m seeing is a slight pull draw.

The only real thing I see is that on your backswing you are not turning your hips enough to get your weight back to the inside of the right leg. See how your straight your right leg stays? That's a key indicator. Visualize yourself swinging in a barrel & rotate around the inside of the barrel without hitting the sides with your hips. See the gap between your right hip & the red line? That should only be about an inch apart. Not as far as you have it here.

View attachment 34511

Also, look at about the :18 second mark ... see how in your follow thru, your right hand is overtaking your left? And your left hand is "cupped" against your side? You need more arm rotation thru & past impact. Let the natural flow of your swing allow the forearms to rotate and your right hand to roll over the left. Take your right index finger and "point" it to the target thru impact. Key to help you rotate the right hand thru over your left. More arm extension = more distance. Look at Rory McIlroy's follow thru ...

View attachment 34512

Look at Rory McIlroy's follow thru ... small gap between the line coming from the outside of his right front & hip. Arm extension thru & past impact

View attachment 34513

Regarding point One, that is where my attempt at Stack and Tilt comes in. I have a wider stance with feet flared and ball back in stance. My weight is 80/20 on my left and I don’t transfer weight. I try to rotate my back to target as my left knee bends down with right leg straight. The follow through is the issue, I can’t get the S&T method down on that side of the swing.

The cupping is a major issue... I really need to work on that. I guess this is so engrained in my head! It’s iusg weird that the ball goes where I want it to and pretty consistently despite the obvious flaw. This is why my hand hurts though obviously... really need to address this

Regarding point One, that is where my attempt at Stack and Tilt comes in. I have a wider stance with feet flared and ball back in stance. My weight is 80/20 on my left and I don’t transfer weight. I try to rotate my back to target as my left knee bends down with right leg straight. The follow through is the issue, I can’t get the S&T method down on that side of the swing. In regards to this, you can still accomplish the stack and tilt but at more of a 55/45 at address.
Then progressively go further as the swing comes down & your weight is being transferred. You can also use a bit more hip rotation as well, even with the stack & tilt.

The cupping is a major issue... I really need to work on that. I guess this is so engrained in my head! It’s iusg weird that the ball goes where I want it to and pretty consistently despite the obvious flaw. This is why my hand hurts though obviously... really need to address this Your left arm is collapsing. You need to think "Extension" in your left arm and don't let it collapse until after impact & beyond

But if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. Who cares what it looks like ... if you are getting it from point A to point B in as few strokes as possible, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Not ugly to me at all. But I'm a super newb. I've seen WAAAAAAY worse with the groups I've been with as a single. Including mine.

Legit trying to get better! I’m not looking for any kind of praise lol... sorry if it came across that way.

Its all good - we're all on that same journey to improve. I've had the opportunity to see my own swing on video. I know what ugly looks like :)

I need to figure out how to correct that “flip” I have before hitting the ball. I’m apprehensive to take a lesson because I don’t want the tech side of golf jumbling in my brain when I just want to hit the ball.

I need to figure out how to correct that “flip” I have before hitting the ball. I’m apprehensive to take a lesson because I don’t want the tech side of golf jumbling in my brain when I just want to hit the ball.

www.golflessonsboston.com

That's my coach, he's very good at marrying the technical instruction with the feel of the swing.

I used to fixate upon my swing flaws. Then, because positive results were generally there, I decided to just groove what I have and never think of what I perceived to be unsightly flaws ever again.

In short order I became more comfortable in my own golfer's skin. And waddaya know, perhaps through this sense of ease as I concentrated more upon results rather than process, the flaws have lessened on their own over time.

I still don't possess anyone's version of a picturesque swing, but it gets the job done.

Yours seems to be serving yourself similarly. Just keep at it!

Back