Pebble Beach Checked Off the Bucket List

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
Got to play Pebble Beach last week, myself and three friends from work, and I'm happy to say it was every bit what we had hoped it would be (except for the scorecard for a couple of us). Three of us drove down from the Sacramento area, the other flew in from Chicago. We stayed in Monterey Wednesday night, and had a 7:50 tee time Thursday morning. We got there early enough to hit the practice range, which would normally be fantastic, but that morning we were hitting off mats, and the chipping/bunker area was closed. Knocked a few around the putting green, then met our caddies at the first tee. Our caddies, Mike and Matt, were both great, Mike has been at Pebble for 26 years, and knows the place like the back of his hand.

The course will be hosting the US Amateur next week, and is in incredible condition (the greens were as true as any I've ever played!), and we were warned that the rough was getting deep and would definitely penalize any errant shots (something I confirmed right away!). I won't bore everyone with a lengthy play-by-play, but will hit some highlights.

After a disastrous first hole (rough - rough - greenside bunker), I managed a par on #2, the short par 5, with an up-and-down from another greenside bunker. The bunker thing was one of my themes of the day, as I was in both fairway and greenside bunkers on #3, first three holes, four bunkers!

The stretch along the coast, holes 6 - 10, is everything you've ever heard about it, and more. I kept looking around at those sights I've seen in photos and on TV forever, telling myself. "I'm at Pebble Beach!!!". Going up the hill on #6 is steeper than you can imagine, photos and TV don't do it justice. Standing on the tee at #7 was one I won't forget, although I'd like a Mulligan on the shot I pulled long and left into the ocean.

The absolute highlight of my round was #8, I hit a nice drive down the middle, and not too close to the bluff, then flushed a 6-iron to the narrow piece of fairway just short of the green, between the front bunkers. I'll be seeing that shot across the cove in my head for a long time. Some of the greatest to ever play the game have described that second shot on #8 better than I ever could, and I am thrilled to have pulled off a good shot there.

The rest of the round was incredible, some good shots, some good putts, more bunkers, more rough, and best of all, more memories.

Jim, me, Keith, and Phil on the first tee

Group.jpg

The approach on #2
Approach 2.jpg

Keith cut the corner over the trees on #3
Keith 3.jpg

Bunker on #3, my forth bunker in three holes
Bunker 3.jpg

The approach on #4
Approach 4.jpg

Phil hitting iron off the tee at #6
Phil 6.jpg

Jim hit this one close on #7
Jim 7.jpg

Looking across the cove on #8
Approach 8.jpg

#8, my ball just left of the bag, Jim's on the green
Approach 8b.jpg

Keith and our caddie, Mike, walking up the 9th
Approach 9.jpg

Back nine photos to follow.

Some photos of the back nine:

View from the tee on 10
Tee 10.jpg

Bunkered again on the par 3 12th
Bunker 12.jpg

View from the tee on 15, maybe my best tee shot of the day
Tee 15.jpg

Bunkered again on 16
Bunker 16.jpg

View from the tee on 17
Tee 17.jpg

View from the tee on 18
Tee 18.jpg

Thank you for sharing! I have always wanted to play there.

Great pics OldeDude! I need to get this course on my list checked off

WOW. The pictures looked amazing and what a wonderful time. This I believe is a dream for most golfers just like going to the home of golf and playing the courses over there. Out of reach but definitely a dream if I ever win the lottery. My father said he'd take me there sometime as long as I stayed out of trouble LOL well I got into trouble a few times and I can't let him spend upwards of 1k/round of golf. He remembers playing there many times. The last time he played it was a whooping $75 green fee! LOL. At 550 and up plus cart/caddie it would easily be 650/person and he'd be paying for 2! hahaha. I played at a member guest and a guy playing commented on how nice it was to go play pebble and spy glass with his wife and I was thinking holy crap. you've got enough money to bring the wife! booooka bucks.

Great pics, thanks for sharing

Such a beautiful course, Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Someday I will play there.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing that! I keep telling my wife that I want to do this on my 40th birthday, hopefully it will happen.

Awesome pics! On my bucket list as well.

Fantastic share, thanks!!!

Love the pics and thanks for sharing.

Some day... Some day...

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Pretty cool........thanks for sharing. Someday.....

It was a great day, and in my opinion, if you're going to check Pebble off the Bucket List you have to get a caddie! We shared two caddies, they say that most of the caddies prefer to carry two bags, and it was worth every penny. Mike was a wealth of information, a huge help on the greens, and a really nice guy! My chipping and putting was the strongest part of my game that day, but without Mike's reads, I wouldn't have done near as well.

Actually the one disappointment I have is that I didn't get a picture of me walking one of those iconic fairways with my caddie, like the photo I posted of Keith and Mike walking up the 9th.

Actually the one disappointment I have is that I didn't get a picture of me walking one of those iconic fairways with my caddie, like the photo I posted of Keith and Mike walking up the 9th.

Sounds like you might need to go back and play another round.

Looks pretty awesome!!!!

Lots of great pictures, looks amazing.

Great pics thanks for sharing OldeDude! I'm sure it was awesome!!!

I hope to play Pebble one day....

Thanks for sharing that! I keep telling my wife that I want to do this on my 40th birthday, hopefully it will happen.

Not that Pebble would be a letdown, but after the Hideaway, Pebble would be a letdown. :bananadance:

Incredible! Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic; glad you had fun. I played there this summer as well. Amazing.

#8 is one I will not forget either. I hit hybrid off the tee and had 210 left to the pin. Hit the best 20 degree hybrid of my life across the cove and just short of the green for an up-down par. Such a beautiful golf hole.

Beautiful pics. Still on my bucket list for sure. Thank you for sharing the experience.

JM

Wow sounds like an epic trip! Bucket list courses will have to hit a few years out for me, but maybe I can knock one or two off soon :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back