Fairway Wood Off the Deck

I play the 5Deep a fair amount off the deck. Stopped using my hybrid because it was working so well for me.

With a Heavenwood in the bag, I look forward to hitting one a lot more off the fairways. I really just wish that the fairways here had denser turf (or any turf on it at all for that matter). Hitting one off fairways like pavement is not a fun time.

Maybe 1-3 times a round. It depends on my lie, danger I need to account for. Also depends on how confident I'm feeling

Typically I hit a fairway wood off the deck 3 - 5 times per round on par 5's to try to get home in 2 or seconds shots on long par 4's. I find both the Callaway V Series and XHot woods very easy to launch off the deck.

Depending on my drives, I'll a 3w off the deck 2-3 times per round. I'm very thankful that I can usually depend on this shot (as much as an 10+ handicapper can depend on any shot). I've had good luck with the RBZ 2, its been a solid club for me.

I typically don't play it off the deck. The risk vs reward just isn't there for me.

I hit it 2-3 times around off the deck and find it very easy to hit. I rarely use it off the tee. I really like my current Big Bertha, but after the Grandaddy I've been pondering the 816. My money would probably be better spent on an iron fitting though.

Never, because it is an extremely difficult shot for me to pull off. The times I have tried, I either chunk or top the hell out of the ball.

I tend to hit mine several times around and really love those shots. And like Jman said hitting Heavenwoods are kinda fun.

Thats what my Mizuno is for, the smaller face than my RBZ for some reason makes it easier to hit off the deck. On the course I play at though I really only have an option to do it twice a round but I usually choose to lay up for those Par 5s, boring but safe play.

I very rarely hit a 3wd off the deck. The **** is the hardest in golf for me. I can count on one hand how many good 3wd from the deck I have hit so far in 2015. My 5wd can carry a consistent 205 from the deck and gets used more often. I don't have the same confidence with the 3wd and in Florida water is lurking everywhere so the risk-reward is rarely worth it.

As for favorite style, I like a mid sized looking fairway for confidence and one that is versatile enough to be hit from the tee as well, since this is where I use the club the most. Off the tee my current R11 avg is 226yds and most three woods I have liked the looks of enough (I'm very picky) to try have been around the same. That's why the R11 is still in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the deck - any par 5 that I am 225 or greater out. Closer it's another club. I'm very confident, both distance and direction, in my 3W off the deck. My key swing thoughts are SLOW backswing and smooth and easy swing - let the club do the work. The kiss of death on 3W off the deck is an overswing and that's easy to do when looking at a 250+ yard shot.

Off the tee - depends on the course but 3-4 times a round. Used to be more but I'm FIR with my driver >70% of the time these days so I have been leaning more to driver off the tee.

I will hit my 4 wood off the deck when there is no trouble in front of me or i am trying to recover from a major miss hit on a drive

All the time. I'm not sure what makes one club better or worse for me than another. I do know that for me, loft matters. I'm confident in a 5W, not so much in a 3W.

I've used them often when in the bag and wanting to get home in two on a par 5 or a bad drive on a par 4.

One that sticks in my head was playing with JB and Howzat and a poor drive left me standing with the ball at about eye level. Got green side but still didn't get the par. Fond memories.

I do more often than I hit it off a tee. I don't really have trouble hitting it off the deck at all

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe once, at most twice per round. Usually when I mis-hit a tee shot and have a long way in on a par 4. Once in a while on a par 5 that may be reachable - but that is seldom these days.

At my course I come across this shot very rarely. Usually my second shot on hole 1, which is a 600 yd par 5 that plays into the wind. Second shot will leave me about 80 to 120 for my approach into the green

I will play a 3w of the deck once or twice a round. I don't have any second thoughts about it.
As far as which models I prefer, I really don't have much to use for comparisons. I've only used 3 different 3w ever.

Probably 3 to 4 times a round. Usually on a par 5 for the second shot or a, very long par 4 where there isn't too much trouble near the green.

I still use the Optiforce 3W. I am so confident with it off the deck and from the tee.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On average less than once per round. It really depends on the course. At my home course I never use my 3W so I'll throw a different club in instead.

I have hit FW off the deck a couple of times, but more often that not I won't do it.

I only pull this shot once every 2-3 rounds probably. I have traditionally had a hard time really staying down on the ball enough for this to be an effective shot for me. When I do stay down well enough, it seems like I tend to spray it around a little. But when the stars align and I hit it really well....one of my favorite shots to hit.

I would have to say 2-3X a round for me with my 5W - I will use it without a tee on the tee box for a tight hole and find the X2Hots sole to be very easy to hit from any lie...

I use to, all the time! Now, I find myself using my hybrid more often than my 3 wood.

If the yardage calls for it, I hit my FW off the deck with zero hesitation. I used to be reserved in that aspect but since I bought the Callaway 815 BBA 3 wood and later upgraded to the 816 BBA 3 wood, I have so much confidence in my fairway. Each were 14* heads and depending on the course I'll knock it down to 13* and have no trouble getting it up (that's what she said, sorry I had to :) ). There are many times where I've struggled with my driver and found that I swing my 3 wood with a higher SS than my driver because I just attack with it as my fitter says.

I've surprised even myself hitting yardage off the deck just as far as I would off the tee

Back