Is the PGA the least exciting major?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
There is something about this major that does nothing for me. The Masters is The Masters. The US Open always has lots of hype on an insanely hard course. The Open is my favorite because of the British style and setup that draws me in also with the history.

The PGA is just eh for me. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PGA is awesome. We get the PGA club pros playing. It’s a damn tough tourney and one that Arnie never won. It’s major, baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it lacks character... doesn’t the charm of a green jacket, isn’t brutally painful like a US Open, doesn’t have the tradition of the Open and links golf. It just doesn’t have that element. It’s still a great tournament but I don’t find myself watching every day the way I do with the others.

Probably the least anticipated for me, but the least exciting? That just depends on how the actual tournament plays out.

Definitely, for me. Yet still immensely more exciting than any other non-major.

And that includes the TPC. No disrespect to that tournament, it's awesome, lots of fun. But not a major so I'm just not as into it.

Not the same luster for me.... I’ll watch Sat/Sun but much will depend on who’s contending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I’m not mistaken, and surely correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t it have almost 20 years on the masters in terms of history if this is the 100th? I always seem to find the PGA entertaining.

I am the same. It's pretty blah.

I like it, but I like it 4th best so there is that. I think what I do like about it is the setup is always fair on the course it is playing on. They never screw the course up like the USGA does at the US Open. This tournament is just set up like a normal tournament on some of the best courses in the United States and let the pros play it out. The players who have done well on tour all year should play well here because the setup is the same as the rest of the tour events. This tournament is the only major set up by the same folks that set up the rest of the years tournaments which is kind of weird when you think about it. The other 3 biggest tournaments in the world are not set up by the PGA which runs the rest of the professional golf tournaments throughout the world. I guess technically though the Masters, US Open and The Open are not professional tournaments. 2 are Opens and 1 is an invitational.

Solid tournament but it’s my least favorite of all the majors

PGA is awesome. We get the PGA club pros playing. It’s a damn tough tourney and one that Arnie never won. It’s major, baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m with you my good man. Im a fan of the PGA and the club pros. The courses are big and lush.

Big names, tough courses and a chance for teaching pros to play. Not sure what's not to like. I get it for fields where there aren't any big names but in the big picture it's the best in the world playing on tv and getting to see them hit shots most on here can only dream about. I'm all for the PGA

I don't think it is less exciting, bit I do think it lacks anticipation and hype compared to the others. There have been exciting PGAs and very unexciting Us Opens, British Opens and Masters, all depends on the course and how the tournament plays out.

I think the courses tend to be a bit more hit and miss as far as fame goes. This year for example, I'm sure Bellerive is a great course with tons of history I'm just not at all familiar with it. However with Bethpage and Kiawah coming up those will get alot more hype.

The Master is at Augusta which is the only time we ever see that course. The US Open is usually a blood bath, which we don't see on tour. The Open is links golf with brown grass and crappy wet windy weather, which we don't see on tour. The PGA Championship is played on courses that look a little like what we see on tour.

I like the PGA a lot. I hate how two of the four majors depend on the draw. The Masters is becoming a self-fellating endeavor for Augusta National.

I think they all are special. Such strong fields and so much to play for including the Ryder Cup......boring, I don't think so!!

ID agree, compared to the other majors and the buildup around them, the PGA is kinda the red headed stepchild

A major is a major. Big names all play and there is some prestige that comes with winning. Is it the least exciting of the 4? Yes but only because of how good the other 3 are, one of them has to be the least exciting

It may be the least exciting, but will still watch. Always on a gorgeous course and that is a big part of it.

Love all the majors, just love this one the least.

I wonder if moving the PGA between the Masters and U.S. Open will elevate its popularity amongst golf fans. That two month period has always felt agonizingly long, so I will probably look even more forward to the PGA in 2019 and beyond.

I’d have to agree that it may be my least favorite of the 4, but it’s still a major championship and it’s still much better than any other tournament throughout the year. The PGA always does a great job at setting up the course, so at least there won’t be a USGA debacle. The weather has been disruptive, but I’m confident the PGA will find a sweet spot for course conditions so we see a really good tournament this year. AND it’s the 100th anniversary!

I don't know that it's least exciting but it's the one I look forward to the least.

Out of the 4 majors, I rank this one last. That being said its still exciting and fun to watch. I think this and The Players are about on the same level to me.

Yes, it is.

In my book, it is about even with the Masters far behind both The Open Championship and the U.S. Open. I enjoy watching the varying challenges that the opens normally present. Like the 2 opens, I like the fact that the PGA is not played on the same course every year.

Yes, I find the Players more exciting to watch than the PGA. I am so stoked for major weeks, but I have very little interest in this one. This is just my humble opinion,

Back