New wedges and deciding wedge shafts

simonagren

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I'm playing KBS C-taper 130X in my 4i-PW, and the pw is 45*.

I'm gonna replace my wedges and I'm a bit confused regarding wedge shafts.
My 50* is used a lot for full shots, and my 56* is used for mostly partials, but some full, and my 60* is used only for partials.

I was thinking about doing this:
50* with c-taper 130X (same as other irons).
56* with 610 wedge shaft, for the lower launch and spin. But still the feel of a wedge shaft.
60* with Hi-rev 2.0 for the more active tip around the greens, and to make it stop with the shorter pitch shots.

Any feedback?

Hi,

My 50* is used a lot for full shots, and my 56* is used for mostly partials, but some full, and my 60* is used only for partials.

56* with 610 wedge shaft, for the lower launch and spin. But still the feel of a wedge shaft.
60* with Hi-rev 2.0 for the more active tip around the greens, and to make it stop with the shorter pitch shots.

Any feedback?

I think you could go 130x in the 50 or you could go with 610 but heavier weight. My current wedges have 610 in both 50/54 and hi rev 2.0 in 60. They’re perfect! Flight is great as needed and while I’m not using as stiff of flex as you, I’m seeing the necessary yardage I need for each without worrying about spin control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you could go 130x in the 50 or you could go with 610 but heavier weight. My current wedges have 610 in both 50/54 and hi rev 2.0 in 60. They’re perfect! Flight is great as needed and while I’m not using as stiff of flex as you, I’m seeing the necessary yardage I need for each without worrying about spin control.

Thanks for the answer.

I was thinking of using the 125g (heaviest) 610 in the 56* and the X-stiff Hi-rev2.0 in the 60. So there's really no heavier 610 to use in the 50.

Why I'm considering the C-taper in the 50* is because I now need to hit really soft shots to control trajectory and spin. If I don't it spins back on the greens, would really like more of a drop and stop.
I'm thinking that a 610 with full shots on the 50 would cause to much backspin and too high trajectory. Or what do you think?

For reference I'm getting a 5i from 220yards to stop in about 3 feet or so.

Thanks for the answer.

I was thinking of using the 125g (heaviest) 610 in the 56* and the X-stiff Hi-rev2.0 in the 60. So there's really no heavier 610 to use in the 50.

Why I'm considering the C-taper in the 50* is because I now need to hit really soft shots to control trajectory and spin. If I don't it spins back on the greens, would really like more of a drop and stop.
I'm thinking that a 610 with full shots on the 50 would cause to much backspin and too high trajectory. Or what do you think?

For reference I'm getting a 5i from 220yards to stop in about 3 feet or so.

I don’t get ballooning with my wedges but I don’t swing anywhere near to what you must to play CT 130x. For reference I use 610 115 in my 54/50 and never worry about ballooning or too much spin. But since I lack the club SS and compression you generate, I would error in the side of caution and go with CT 130 in 50*

I don’t get ballooning with my wedges but I don’t swing anywhere near to what you must to play CT 130x. For reference I use 610 115 in my 54/50 and never worry about ballooning or too much spin. But since I lack the club SS and compression you generate, I would error in the side of caution and go with CT 130 in 50*

Yeah but that sounds good in general, I've read that it's more of a low lauching but ok spinning shaft the 610, so it sounds perfect. Also feels reassuring that you play the Hi-rev in the 60 :)
I know I'm supposed to hit the wedges a bit softer, and I try to do that.
But regarding ss, trackman said I was 96-98mph with a 7i, and that's controlled swings.
Thank's for the feedback man!

I’m a fan of matching wedge shafts with iron shafts personally. From a recommendation at the Ely Callaway Performance Center :)

I’m a fan of matching wedge shafts with iron shafts personally. From a recommendation at the Ely Callaway Performance Center :)

Yeah well, I'm not sure I can use a C-taper 130X in a 60 degree at least. It would be closer to the PX7.0 than the 6.5 for reference :D
But I'm still deciding on the 49* if im gonna go 610 125g S+ or the C-taper 130, hmmm.

New wedges and deciding wedge shafts

Hi,

Any feedback?

I’ve tried quite a few wedge shafts over the years, so may be able to offer some thoughts. I agree that matching your iron shafts in the GW maybe a good idea. Perhaps a soft step install too just for a bit more feel. Ctapers in X are quite the beasts (long time Ctaper guy here as well). You could also go 610 in the GW, as it provides a great low, controlled flight.
For the SW and LW, I would recommend sticking with the same shafts. Here, I would consider going S400 tour issue or 610. The 610 is a unique shaft. I definitely found it to launch and apex low. It is also a VERY stout shaft in the stiffer flexes. Consider going down a flex, even for you. The 610 likes to make the ball take a big hop after landing, then stops dead. The S400 is just a nice overall wedge shaft in my fairly recent experience with it. Nice weight, produces good flight and has a nice thumpy feel through impact. Good luck to you!

I’m a long time Ctaper player and tried them in wedges and couldn’t get along with them for whatever reason.

I’ve tried quite a few wedge shafts over the years, so may be able to offer some thoughts. I agree that matching your iron shafts in the GW maybe a good idea. Perhaps a soft step install too just for a bit more feel. Ctapers in X are quite the beasts (long time Ctaper guy here as well). You could also go 610 in the GW, as it provides a great low, controlled flight.
For the SW and LW, I would recommend sticking with the same shafts. Here, I would consider going S400 tour issue or 610. The 610 is a unique shaft. I definitely found it to launch and apex low. It is also a VERY stout shaft in the stiffer flexes. Consider going down a flex, even for you. The 610 likes to make the ball take a big hop after landing, then stops dead. The S400 is just a nice overall wedge shaft in my fairly recent experience with it. Nice weight, produces good flight and has a nice thumpy feel through impact. Good luck to you!

So this will be:
49* 610 125S+
55* 610 120S
61* Hi-Rev2.0 135X OR 610 120S

Would this be better in your opinion?

So maybe:
49* with 610 125S+
55* with 610 120S
61* with Hi-Rev2.0 X OR 610 120S?

Why I want the Hi-rev in the 61 is because of I only hit like 40 yards and in with it.
The 55 is from 110 yards and in maybe.
The 49 is more like 140 to 100 yards.

Yeah well, I'm not sure I can use a C-taper 130X in a 60 degree at least. It would be closer to the PX7.0 than the 6.5 for reference :D
But I'm still deciding on the 49* if im gonna go 610 125g S+ or the C-taper 130, hmmm.

I mean obviously do what you want. I’m coming at it from a perspective of not over thinking it too much I guess.

The other wedge shaft I had and enjoyed was the dg spinner shaft. A few sets ago I had the + and the normal spinner in my 56* and 60*.

So this will be:
49* 610 125S+
55* 610 120S
61* Hi-Rev2.0 135X OR 610 120S

Would this be better in your opinion?

Personally, I dont like the Hi-Rev shafts, so I would go 610 in all of them. See if you can demo the 125S+...i found it to be very stout. The S was much nicer for me. I only play S+ Ctapers though, not X.

Personally, I dont like the Hi-Rev shafts, so I would go 610 in all of them. See if you can demo the 125S+...i found it to be very stout. The S was much nicer for me. I only play S+ Ctapers though, not X.

610 wedge shafts are some of the stoutest shafts i've ever tried. I can't imagine going full bore 125S+ and not killing my wrist digging trenches.

Yeah, I ordered them. So we'll see :)
The hi-rev is just for pitching, so hopefully the added spin will make the balls stop faster on those lower-speed shots.

Yeah but my 49* is going to be more of a full club. So it was either C-taper X to ahve the same feel, or going a bit lighter with the 125s+.
I hit my 49* around 140 yards, and with swings like that I think that need the stiffness.

And for the 55* that's hit more partially, but sometimes around 125yards. The stiff will do fine.

But I might reconsider after trying everything out. I will get the wedges 23/8. Will let you know!

610 wedge shafts are some of the stoutest shafts i've ever tried. I can't imagine going full bore 125S+ and not killing my wrist digging trenches.

Yeah we'll see.
As I told you I was considering putting in C-taper X in the 49*, so the 610 S+ should be less stiff :D
And then it's only a stiff shaft for the 55*

Yeah, I ordered them. So we'll see :)
The hi-rev is just for pitching, so hopefully the added spin will make the balls stop faster on those lower-speed shots.

Yeah but my 49* is going to be more of a full club. So it was either C-taper X to ahve the same feel, or going a bit lighter with the 125s+.
I hit my 49* around 140 yards, and with swings like that I think that need the stiffness.

And for the 55* that's hit more partially, but sometimes around 125yards. The stiff will do fine.

But I might reconsider after trying everything out. I will get the wedges 23/8. Will let you know!

I’m excited to see your results and thoughts!

Back