Time to switch to lighter iron shafts or graphite shafts?

fufu

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve developed some elbow tendinitis. It is on the outside/top of my elbow so more tennis elbow than golfers elbow. I don’t know why. I’m playing KBS Tour Flighted in stiff flex. I installed these shafts this year and this is also the first time I’ve developed tendinitis. Maybe it’s a coincidence but I don’t know.

I played yesterday with a support brace on and it helped. I’m going to take the rest of the week off and rest it. But how do i know when it’s time to consider going to a lighter or graphite shaft?

My driver SS is 100-102.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried out graphite to see how it feels for you? It answered my issues with elbow and troubles.

Have you tried out graphite to see how it feels for you? It answered my issues with elbow and troubles.

When I do an iron fitting end of this year I will likely switch. I played graphite for a couple years and my elbow issues went away. Light weight steel is not as bad, but I plan to go back to graphite.

I have not. I was thinking of ordering a shaft and trying it. I was thinking of switching to a regular flex as well.

KBS, DG, Rifle all caused issues for me. Nippon was the only steel shaft I could play for several years. I went to graphite, not because of issues, but to avoid future elbow and shoulder issues. A few years ago, I bought 3 wedges with KBS Shafts - elbow issues returned; changed to Nippon Wedge Shafts - problems disappeared.

I switched to graphite shafts this year and It has been amazing. I have had both rotator cuffs done and I am getting arthritis (getting old sux) But I got Recoils in my MC set and it really is night and day. I played 99 holes in 4 days with 36 saturday and I had NO soreness that I used to have with my steel shafts.

My recoils are 83g and I have a bunch of lead tape on each club because the swing weight was off so they are probably close to the 90g KBS shafts I was playing.

Last edited:
I switched to graphite and it helped my forearms and back.

I was considering going back to steel since some say light weight Nippon steel is easier on the body. I wrote them to see what is the best for shock deadening and this is their response:

Thanks for writing.

Our products are made from automotive grade spring steels, inherently dampen vibrations however graphite shafts in general are more vibration dampening.

Our N.S.Pro Zelos series is our softest” feeling models, but again less than graphite shafts.

Thanks, Nippon Shaft

I’m planning on staying with graphite. The problem is it is expensive for the heavier shafts like made by Aerotech and Recoil.

Stiffer lightweight steel can actually transmit more vibrate than heavy weight steel. Light weight low launch/spin steel has to have larger diameters which "ring" more. Higher launch steel will lessen this.

If you have tendonitis issues graphite or dampened steel is your best bet. Our soon to come Elevate has a dampening technology, VSS. I was struggling with some tendonitis so I had been playing graphite and then put our VSS tech into a prototype steel shaft and no issues with them.

We also have a new graphite iron shaft with steel like properties but still dampens like graphite.

DB

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I’m convinced it’s the KBS shafts in my irons. I just left the course after playing my sons Cobras F6 irons and my elbow isn’t bothering me at all.

I was playing TT DGS300s but I was spinning the ball too much. Can you recommend another shaft similar to the KBS?

If you could find the sensicore inserts that may solve the issue without going graphite.
Im a graphite guy just giving an alternate way to reduce vibration.

Try the pro-softs. Over the years, many have said they work.

Back